Got my first elk hunt this year - Help me pick a cartridge

Which cartridge to use??

• Total voters
If I was going high or hiking too far that’s what I would do for sure.

My rifle has a 16oz kickstop recoil reducer because I shoot it with my larger calibers. Total weight of can is about a pound also. So I could lose two pounds pretty easy if I needed or wanted.

The Blaser system is the best I have found. That said it is not known as a lightweight rifle.
I think it would be a great idea to lose the heavy recoil reduction detritus when you head into the mountains. That stuff is great for the range but not so much in the field. Unless you bring your own custom made rifle scabbard, I expect you will have problems with horses if your rifle is still wearing all that stuff on the end of the muzzle. And no, you do NOT want to ride the horse with your rifle slung on your shoulder. Works like shit in the best of situations but with that long barrel setup ... nope! I'd be surprised if the outfitter would let you do it. No need for the recoil reducer. Definitely excess baggage. You won't even notice the recoil when you're looking at a bull elk in the scope. I can't tell you if the rental 375 I shot my two buffalo with kicks hard. I shot it once at the range the first trip and three times total in the field on two safaris. It didn't hit me in the face or knock me off my feet so I guess the recoil wasn't too bad. :D Once you get rid of the muzzle stuff and recoil reducer that gun should still be balanced properly and it will be a peach to carry. Also, if you're spitting lightweight bullets that should reduce recoil quite a bit anyway.

I think it would be a great idea to lose the heavy recoil reduction detritus when you head into the mountains. That stuff is great for the range but not so much in the field. Unless you bring your own custom made rifle scabbard, I expect you will have problems with horses if your rifle is still wearing all that stuff on the end of the muzzle. And no, you do NOT want to ride the horse with your rifle slung on your shoulder. Works like shit in the best of situations but with that long barrel setup ... nope! I'd be surprised if the outfitter would let you do it. No need for the recoil reducer. Definitely excess baggage. You won't even notice the recoil when you're looking at a bull elk in the scope. I can't tell you if the rental 375 I shot my two buffalo with kicks hard. I shot it once at the range the first trip and three times total in the field on two safaris. It didn't hit me in the face or knock me off my feet so I guess the recoil wasn't too bad. :D Once you get rid of the muzzle stuff and recoil reducer that gun should still be balanced properly and it will be a peach to carry. Also, if you're spitting lightweight bullets that should reduce recoil quite a bit anyway.
Outfitter said most come with a can. Things have changed my man.

Also. My rifle is shorter with the supressor than yours without it.

Your gun appears to be wearing more than just a can. Be sure to ask him if he has a scabbard that will fit. He may let dudes ride with guns slung but I can tell you from personal experience it is not fun.

I’d shoot the 30-06 or 6.5 PRC. Elk are not particularly difficult to kill as long as the first shot is placed well. I’ve taken a bunch myself and assisted on lots of the things. Most taken cleanly with 270 Win class cartridges. Not that the larger choices are bad, they aren’t, as long as you shoot them well. I have no experience with the raptor bullets, but have heard they work well. Good luck!

I’d shoot the 30-06 or 6.5 PRC. Elk are not particularly difficult to kill as long as the first shot is placed well. I’ve taken a bunch myself and assisted on lots of the things. Most taken cleanly with 270 Win class cartridges. Not that the larger choices are bad, they aren’t, as long as you shoot them well. I have no experience with the raptor bullets, but have heard they work well. Good luck!

Despite good shot placement, I had a different experience as far as the difficulties to kill an Elk were concerned , especially the big antlers during the rutting season. That's why I am more of the opinion that bigger calibers are an advantage for this hunting. In the past you could always read from North American hunting magazines or books that the cartridge 338 Winchester Magnum was the reference for Elk hunting.

I have killed elk with:

- 300 Win Mag - 180 Barnes TTSX
- .308 - 168 Barnes TTSX
- 7MM Rem Mag - 140 Remington Core-Lokt

Most of my hunting is now with the 300WM. I have killed everything from eland to ibex with Barnes 180 TTSX. Shot distances ranging out to 350 yards.

On recent trips to Spain, Africa, Asia I have noted that the guides/outfitters all used and/or rented 300 win mags. There are a lot of reasons for this (e.g. rifle and ammo availability, general popularity), but I don't think they would have chosen this caliber if it was failing in common hunting situations.

375RUGER. I’m not crazy about the bullet weight you have chosen, but it will certainly get the job done.

2nd choice would be the 338.

Elk can be tough. Causing maximum damage as quickly as possible would be my plan.

Despite good shot placement, I had a different experience as far as the difficulties to kill an Elk were concerned , especially the big antlers during the rutting season. That's why I am more of the opinion that bigger calibers are an advantage for this hunting. In the past you could always read from North American hunting magazines or books that the cartridge 338 Winchester Magnum was the reference for Elk hunting.
Curious what cartridge and bullet you used? We have had zero issues with moderate weight cup and core bullets or lighter weight premium bullets placed through the heart lung area. We employ these similarly to what I’ve heard is done in Africa with the 6.5x55 and 7x57 cartridge's. Our last two big bulls were both with a 270 Win, both large antlered. Last season two cows and one large bull, one with a 7mm RM, two with a 270 Win, 150 and 140 gr.bullets.

Yes I recall the magazine articles that purported the 338 WM as the best elk cartridge. Was all the rage for quite a time. It is very very effective, but most do not shoot it well, as a day at a pre hunting season rifle sight in will illustrate. Those that practice with and use larger cartridges won’t have an issue, most do not fall into that category.

I hate recoil, muzzle breaks, and heavy rifles in the mountains, so use moderate cartridges. I try to keep sectional densities around .250 or more and ranges moderate. Two of the quickest non-cns kills on elk I witnessed were with 115 gr. Nosler BT and a 175 gr. Partition. Out of a 25-06 Rem and 280 Rem respectively. I’ll occasionally use a high shoulder shot to drop one in its tracks, usually with a 270 Win. Just my experience and some results.

I know some remove the reflex for hunting and/or use a shorter can for the hunt. I’m waiting on a Silencer Co. Scythe Ti that will see some hunting. If I could find the AB’s in stock, I‘d probably get a Raptor 8 or a 10 with a big reflex for the range.

375RUGER. I’m not crazy about the bullet weight you have chosen, but it will certainly get the job done.

2nd choice would be the 338.

Elk can be tough. Causing maximum damage as quickly as possible would be my plan.
Thanks Bee. Hope you’re well my man

Thanks for feedback.

Closest to that would be the 175 Maximus from 375. Runs 3k.

All of these loads run over 3k except 225 from Lapua, which is 2900. Ha
Why so slow on the 338LM? Mine would do 2915 with a 285.

Now I see, 20.5" barrel. If you can manage the recoil 338LM.

Last edited:
The advantage of the cartridge 338 Lapua Magnum is to achieve with the heavy bullets of this caliber class high muzzle velocity to be able to shoot at long range and still have a good terminal ballistic. I also achieve the velocities quoted here with the cartridge 340 Weatherby Magnum and even with the 250gr bullets. The cartridge 338 Lapua Magnum is not an optimal hunting cartridge and if recoil plays a role in the choice of a rifle and/or a cartridge, you should stay away from it.

If you want to hunt heavier non-dangerous game species and cannot really decide on the cartridge, choose the cartridge 300 Winchester Magnum or a similar one. Cartridges caliber 308 and bullets from 180gr to 200gr work well on many game species and with the cartridge 300 Winchester Magnum such bullets also at longer shooting distances. I shot several game species with this cartridge. The heaviest was a Muskox in the NWT in 1986 and that with a factory load and the 180gr Power-Point Bullet from Winchester. This cartridge would certainly also have worked on Elk. Since I have never had any problems with the recoil of a rifle, I switched to bigger calibers. It is undisputed that bigger cartridges work better on heavy game by the same shot placement.

I voted for the 338 Lapua since it has a balance of speed, power, range and penetration. But not knowing the terrain, cover and typical distances involved does affect my choice. Not sure about Colorado but in many states the 6.5mm is not allowed for Elk.

In my area the elk are located in the hill country in woodlands that make shots over 2-300y the limit. For that terrain the 30-06 or the 375 are both viable options. Go heavy bullets for the caliber. i.e. 180-200g for the 30cal and 300g for the 375. You will run about 2500-2700fps on the velocity. Learn the ballistics and drop for distance out past 200y. As others mentioned the fast 30's like 300WM, 300HH, etc are all good choices. Barnes TSX/TTSX monolithic bullets are good choice or Swift or other bonded core bullet.

My personal choice is 270 or 375HH but that is only because I already have them on hand.

I voted for the 338 Lapua since it has a balance of speed, power, range and penetration. But not knowing the terrain, cover and typical distances involved does affect my choice. Not sure about Colorado but in many states the 6.5mm is not allowed for Elk.

In my area the elk are located in the hill country in woodlands that make shots over 2-300y the limit. For that terrain the 30-06 or the 375 are both viable options. Go heavy bullets for the caliber. i.e. 180-200g for the 30cal and 300g for the 375. You will run about 2500-2700fps on the velocity. Learn the ballistics and drop for distance out past 200y. As others mentioned the fast 30's like 300WM, 300HH, etc are all good choices. Barnes TSX/TTSX monolithic bullets are good choice or Swift or other bonded core bullet.

My personal choice is 270 or 375HH but that is only because I already have them on hand.
Good advice. As you would use guns you have on hand, of course I’ll do the same.

The advantage of the cartridge 338 Lapua Magnum is to achieve with the heavy bullets of this caliber class high muzzle velocity to be able to shoot at long range and still have a good terminal ballistic. I also achieve the velocities quoted here with the cartridge 340 Weatherby Magnum and even with the 250gr bullets. The cartridge 338 Lapua Magnum is not an optimal hunting cartridge and if recoil plays a role in the choice of a rifle and/or a cartridge, you should stay away from it.
Just don’t understand this. If you can handle the recoil, which mine easily can with my size, recoil reducer, and suppressor, the 338lm beats any of the 300. It throws bigger bullets at faster speeds.

It depends a lot where you are hunting. My buddy who lives in Idaho and owns property in the Lemhi mountains started with a Ruger 77 in 338. He killed massive bulls with it but it got heavier each year. It was replaced by a REM 700 Mountain Rifle in 30/06, which was replaced by a Kimber Mountain Ascent in .308 which is around 5 lbs bare. Those mountains get steeper every year and the gun gets heavier.
He still feels that the Winchester 338 magnum is the optimal elk rifle but the weight puts it off. Not sure but I think that a 338 Lapua is even heavier - maybe 9 or 10 pounds bare.

Not sure about Colorado but in many states the 6.5mm is not allowed for Elk.
I'm not aware of a western state that has this restriction. I hunt elk in the western USA, will have 3-4 bull hunts coming up in various western states, I'd like to know which states have this rule? I believe some of the newer elk hunts in the east have a 270 minimum, Kentucky I believe, but if any in the west where nearly all our elk hunting is have that rule, I’d like to know. Oregon has a .243 minimum caliber, as do some others, some have no minimum, as far as I know, but I could be wrong.

Just don’t understand this. If you can handle the recoil, which mine easily can with my size, recoil reducer, and suppressor, the 338lm beats any of the 300. It throws bigger bullets at faster speeds.
Your 338lm will do an excellent job. Won’t kill them any deader than any 300, but will hit them with quite a bit more authority. It’s really about your ability to shoot it well, which you have dialed in, and then carry it if you are in the mountains. If you will be at altitude and in rugged terrain, you may want to consider the rifle weight.

I'm not aware of a western state that has this restriction. I hunt elk in the western USA, will have 3-4 bull hunts coming up in various western states, I'd like to know which states have this rule? I believe some of the newer elk hunts in the east have a 270 minimum, Kentucky I believe, but if any in the west where nearly all our elk hunting is have that rule, I’d like to know. Oregon has a .243 minimum caliber, as do some others, some have no minimum, as far as I know, but I could be wrong.
It’s 6mm minimum I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SimonGlass

Latest profile posts

JG26Irish_2 wrote on WISafariHunter's profile.
About Lon's Elephant hunts w/Tokoloshe? I hear Lon is battling cancer? What is his long term prognosis? I am already booked to hunt Africa in 2024 2025. Might consider 2026 for another African hunt. I want to hunt a more wild open region devoid of civilization. Concern is the risk that I book f/2026 then find poor Lon has passed on? Does Lon have any assistance to carry on the business in his absence?
Life is Short live it how you want...
jgraco33 wrote on 85lc's profile.
Is your 22HP still available? If so have the original case?
tacklers wrote on ianevans's profile.
Hi Ian, I'm contemplating my first outing, leaving UK via Dubai to Africa, taking rifles as you did.

I presume it went okay for you, would you have done anything differently? Cheers, Richard East Sussex