Good Gun Deals This Week

Image1727734837.911003.jpg

Maple isn't my favorite look, but this does seem like a lot of rifle for the money:

Attachments

If someone had an interest in a 9.3x74R double rifle, this like-new Chaupis might be a fantastic deal... $6,400.00 including a Leopold VX3 2.5-8-23 scope, reloading components and five boxes of ammo.

Attachments

Maple isn't my favorite look, but this does seem like a lot of rifle for the money:

I agree, maple isn't my preferred look either, but I have seen some very clever maple finishes. If you strip the plastic (polyurethane) you have a non-porous wood that won't hold stain. People spray dye on top of the wood, then coat with oil. The result is you can literally make them any color of the rainbow. I saw one done in London Red at a gunshow and I was trying to figure out how a fairly simple gun had a $5000 slab of walnut attached to it with glorious fiddleback. The guy told me what he did and I tipped my hat to him, it looked really good considering it was an $800 gun with factory maple.

Attachments

Today I paid my first ever visit to the Rock Island Auction showroom in Bedford, Texas. Looks like they have quite the selection for this upcoming weekend's auction (4,300+ guns in total). I have my fingers crossed that a certain Browning goes at a reasonable price, which I would love to add to my collection. ;-)

https://www.rockislandauction.com/gun-auctions/sporting-&-collector-firearms-auction-1047

Everyone is looking for something different at an auction, so my opinion isn't the totality of opinion, much less a good one, but here goes.

I searched for keywords Holland, Westley, Lang, Nitro, Express, Double Rifle, Griffin & Howe, Gibbs, Fraser, and Dakota.

I had a few hits, but nothing that wowed me. The ones I'm most troubled with is there are a pair of black powder hammer double rifles in the sale as a combo. One is an Alexander Henry, the other a Joseph Lang. (450BPE and 500BPE probably) Those guns worry me, because a fellow AH-er is prone to win them, and they are going to be a financial nightmare. LOADS of problems. The repairs will be triple the value of the guns and will take years.

They did have three Griffin & Howes. Nothing wrong with them, but they will go for big money and the calibers are common which means someone will be upside down on them. Only bid if you really want a G&H in 270 for full retail or more.

The Dakota 76 is a 300 Weatherby. Not my cup of tea caliber and its not a safari or africa grade gun, but it probably would make an Elk Hunter a very happy boy.

Just this CZ 550 in 416 Rigby online at Cabela's. While it's temping, I think someone else could get a great deal on a nice rifle.

WAY too cheap on that gun. Someone on AH should buy that gun, even if its only to gift it to a friend or relative that might not be able to afford a safari rifle. $1100 is crazy, the value of the action. Oh, and it has an American/English style stock, not the hog's back style!

WAY too cheap on that gun. Someone on AH should buy that gun, even if its only to gift it to a friend or relative that might not be able to afford a safari rifle. $1100 is crazy, the value of the action. Oh, and it has an American/English style stock, not the hog's back style!
I called about this rifle at 9am as soon as they opened and it was sold.

Quite expensive, but extremely rare, it would seem.. .476 WR caliber. If anyone has serious interest, I can make a trip to the dealer to get eyes-on.

Attachments

Quite expensive, but extremely rare, it would seem.. .476 WR caliber. If anyone has serious interest, I can make a trip to the dealer to get eyes-on.

Bullet availability may be the death of the gun's value. What's it worth without bullets? In the 1970s there were no bullets or ammo for all the double rifles and best guns sold for $250 as wall hangers. Obviously, times have definitely changed, but that gun's value relies upon dies, brass, and bullets in huge supplies. I believe Woodleigh made bullets for the .476 but its unclear if they ever will again considering its probably one of the worst sellers amongst their 500 product offerings. For now, they are focusing on building up supplies of their best sellers like 375, 416, 458, 470, etc.

any thoughts on the Whitworth 375 H&H listed on GI today? I'm considering it, but I've only begun researching these. thoughts? is higher than one listed / sold here earlier, but seems in the ballpark?? i'm not sure if there is something specific i should be looking for on this model outside of the typical.

Last edited:
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this - I’m new here - will delete if so. Any advice highly highly appreciated. Thank you.

any thoughts on the Whitworth 375 H&H listed on GI today? I'm considering it, but I've only begun researching these. thoughts? is higher than one listed / sold here earlier, but seems in the ballpark?? i'm not sure if there is something specific i should be looking for on this model outside of the typical.

This one? Should be good just do all the normal due diligence. Might even try negotiating based on the one that sold on here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KrisHarrel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]