Good Gun Deals This Week

Not a good gun deal, but a good gunsmithing deal for all of you.

Lowes has this 100 piece Craftsman set on blowout for $50. Includes T-handle full set of Torx, SAE, and Metric, plus L type allen keys for the same, plus the swiss army knife style for all the same. The price is the same as they usually advertise the 7 piece set.

Take warning: the trend is to create allen and torx key sets these days that are tapered and "easy use" which will strip out any gun screw. These are not the tapered and undersized varieties that are unsafe for gun use.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-04 at 10.11.43 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-04 at 10.11.43 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 63
Oh, I know. I have no interest in either the Savage Impulse or Beretta BRX1. Last Wednesday though, I did buy the ONE BNIB Browning X-Bolt .270 WINCHESTER the local Bass Pro had heavily discounted because it had a couple of scratches on the stock. I have a A Bolt and wanted to try the X-Bolt. I think I got what I paid for at least this time around. LOL
congrats on that. the 270 is an exccellent caliber . and holds its own against the 6.5

Not a good gun deal, but a good gunsmithing deal for all of you.

Lowes has this 100 piece Craftsman set on blowout for $50. Includes T-handle full set of Torx, SAE, and Metric, plus L type allen keys for the same, plus the swiss army knife style for all the same. The price is the same as they usually advertise the 7 piece set.

Take warning: the trend is to create allen and torx key sets these days that are tapered and "easy use" which will strip out any gun screw. These are not the tapered and undersized varieties that are unsafe for gun use.

just ordered and free shipping! Thanks

Attachments

Attachments

Last edited:

Attachments

Is this a good deal or not?

I would say no. The gun is post war and it’s a 12 bore that is split from a pair. Going rate for a great 20 bore, pre-war, otherwise identical is $28k-$36k. The latter would be a far better value.

You cannot give away best 12-bores in this ultra premium tier. 20 bore boss on the other hand is one of the most famous guns ever made and is totally desirable at a high price.

Is this a good deal or not?
Short answer, not really.
Gun is worth about 15-18k in US market, they probably paid 10k at auction for it. First problem is the barrel length, 27" is short and out of vogue. Second is the vintage, 60's english guns are not very sought after. It doesn't specify but being a special order lightweight, it's probably a 2 1/2" gun.

I bid on a beautiful pair of Boss between the wars guns at Holts last November and lost(see link) They went for $16,000 as a pair. One of the guns needed a stock repair.

If the gun fits you and is what you want then make them an offer, but don't think of it as an investment because you'll be disappointed in the ROI.

Thank you @rookhawk and @Wyfox

Something about a round body Boss that makes me go all cross-eyed. Glad I have you all to keep me in line.

Don’t ever buy a 12 bore over $15 grand. For that kind of coin, it better be subgauge and prewar.

Short answer, not really.
Gun is worth about 15-18k in US market, they probably paid 10k at auction for it. First problem is the barrel length, 27" is short and out of vogue. Second is the vintage, 60's english guns are not very sought after. It doesn't specify but being a special order lightweight, it's probably a 2 1/2" gun.

I bid on a beautiful pair of Boss between the wars guns at Holts last November and lost(see link) They went for $16,000 as a pair. One of the guns needed a stock repair.

If the gun fits you and is what you want then make them an offer, but don't think of it as an investment because you'll be disappointed in the ROI.

@Wyfox the comp you reference above is highly problematic since they were distressed guns, hardly worth comparing an unrestored gun to a broken/restored/broken gun.

Those holt‘s guns had a number of defects that made them pariahs as follows:

1.) Both guns restocked
2.) Both guns with short wood of 13.5”
3.) One gun with broken wood
4.) Both guns with replacement barrels
5.) Both guns replacement barrels were 2.75”, heavier barrels than the original 2.5”
6.) Reworked case colors and other features
7.) The original barrels were below safe margins on one, having been honed
8.) Original barrels on the other were sleeved due to excessive wear/pitting

At 16000 GBP plus 22.5% Hammer premium and VAT, they were no bargains. After further repairs and restoration, the buyer will be into the set for $30,000 USD or more. Because they will be so mismatched after repairs, their next step will probably be sale after being split up.

@rookhawk I was well aware of all of that. My max bid was 10k lbs. They were rebarreled and restored by the maker. My goal was to keep one and sell the other cheap to recoup some money and have a lightweight birdgun for a much smaller investment. I was not after them for any collector value.

It was one example I used, lots of english guns hitting the market cheap after the lead ban in the UK

@Wyfox the comp you reference above is highly problematic since they were distressed guns, hardly worth comparing an unrestored gun to a broken/restored/broken gun.

Those holt‘s guns had a number of defects that made them pariahs as follows:

1.) Both guns restocked
2.) Both guns with short wood of 13.5”
3.) One gun with broken wood
4.) Both guns with replacement barrels
5.) Both guns replacement barrels were 2.75”, heavier barrels than the original 2.5”
6.) Reworked case colors and other features
7.) The original barrels were below safe margins on one, having been honed
8.) Original barrels on the other were sleeved due to excessive wear/pitting

At 16000 GBP plus 22.5% Hammer premium and VAT, they were no bargains. After further repairs and restoration, the buyer will be into the set for $30,000 USD or more. Because they will be so mismatched after repairs, their next step will probably be sale after being split up.
While I greatly respect @rookhawk s recommendation of occasional great deals on Holts their sur charges are just ridiculous to me which is why I never use them

While I greatly respect @rookhawk s recommendation of occasional great deals on Holts their sur charges are just ridiculous to me which is why I never use them
You just have to factor in the total cost. If the hammer price is low enough you can still come in well below the actual value. I've seen London built guns sell for 10-20k gpb on Holts and a few months later see US dealers list the same gun for 50-80K. Obviously they're not flying off the shelves but even if they take a low ball offer their still seeing profit margins.

Attachments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdbull

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]