Good Gun Deals This Week

If this is what they sell for, I’m quitting my day job and selling Ruger #1s in 7x57 full time.
They have since dropped the asking price by $500 to $2,999. I love the gun, but only about half that much. :)

They have since dropped the asking price by $500 to $2,999. I love the gun, but only about half that much. :)

Very well, but nonetheless I shall peddle this particular product as a part time job, 20 hours a week in perpetuity if they are tgetting $3000 for Ruger #1s in 7x57. They made a TON of them. Pre-covid they were a grand, now they are $1500-$1700 depending on configuration, wood, and condition.

So all I need to do is register my corporation “overpriced Ruger #1s dot com” and I’ll be set.

Very well, but nonetheless I shall peddle this particular product as a part time job, 20 hours a week in perpetuity if they are tgetting $3000 for Ruger #1s in 7x57. They made a TON of them. Pre-covid they were a grand, now they are $1500-$1700 depending on configuration, wood, and condition.

So all I need to do is register my corporation “overpriced Ruger #1s dot com” and I’ll be set.
LOL, for sure! I'd be happy to write your ad copy for that site. Should be fun. ;-)

There’s one up here north of the 49th for $1500

I mean if that 1500 is in looneys and not dollarydoos that's a great price IMHO :D
They’re bringing more than that at present all day long. If they want one, and the rifle is in good shape they’re going to be hard pressed to find one for less. Still haven’t seen yours appear in the classifieds for less

Holts has a couple of Mannlicher-Schönauer rifles in 6.5x54 coming up for sale at the end of July (29 and 30).

The first is a Daniel Fraser-retailed take-down (estimate £800-1,200) and is probably the one to go for. The second is a John Dickson-retailed rifle (estimate £700-900), without the additional engraving of the previous lot and with the further hinderance of a pop-up sight on the tang. This is not too much of a problem on the slightly-recoiling 6.5 cartridge, but on the heaver-recoiling rifles the blade of the sight tends to jerk back onto that delicate web of skin between the thumb and trigger finger.

Both have been set up with QD 'scopes (why would you need open sights, a pop-up sight, and a telescopic sight?). Neither are the more desirable carbine/ stutzen variant.

As always, get a condition report before bidding: in particular, the throat of the barrel is susceptible to cordite burn.

For UK buyers, Kynoch makes ammunition which complies with the minimum energy requirements of the Deer Act, making the rifle and ammunition combination legal for red deer in Scotland.

Attachments

• DANIEL FRASER & CO. A 6.5X54mm MANNLICHER SCHOENAUER BOLT-MAGAZINE SPORTING RIFLE, serial no. ...pdf
    135.5 KB · Views: 11
  • HOLTS Auctioneers.pdf
    452.5 KB · Views: 11
1719150008506.png

Holts has a couple of Mannlicher-Schönauer rifles in 6.5x54 coming up for sale at the end of July (29 and 30).

The first is a Daniel Fraser-retailed take-down (estimate £800-1,200) and is probably the one to go for. The second is a John Dickson-retailed rifle (estimate £700-900), without the additional engraving of the previous lot and with the further hinderance of a pop-up sight on the tang. This is not too much of a problem on the slightly-recoiling 6.5 cartridge, but on the heaver-recoiling rifles the blade of the sight tends to jerk back onto that delicate web of skin between the thumb and trigger finger.

Both have been set up with QD 'scopes (why would you need open sights, a pop-up sight, and a telescopic sight?). Neither are the more desirable carbine/ stutzen variant.

As always, get a condition report before bidding: in particular, the throat of the barrel is susceptible to cordite burn.

For UK buyers, Kynoch makes ammunition which complies with the minimum energy requirements of the Deer Act, making the rifle and ammunition combination legal for red deer in Scotland.

Buyer beware on the Fraser though. It used to be a take down, but the dedicated screw has been replaced and some woodwork done to camouflage the alteration.

But otherwise a very fine rifle

They’re bringing more than that at present all day long. If they want one, and the rifle is in good shape they’re going to be hard pressed to find one for less. Still haven’t seen yours appear in the classifieds for less
LOL...depending how my day goes at auction today I might have to consider selling mine. I have my eyes on expensive toys --- although I have a feeling people with more desire and dollars will come along to take the treasures home to keep me honest.

LOL...depending how my day goes at auction today I might have to consider selling mine. I have my eyes on expensive toys --- although I have a feeling people with more desire and dollars will come along to take the treasures home to keep me honest.
I’ve been there many times. Sometimes you get lucky though

...The second is a John Dickson-retailed rifle... with the further hinderance of a pop-up sight on the tang. This is not too much of a problem on the slightly-recoiling 6.5 cartridge, but on the heaver-recoiling rifles the blade of the sight tends to jerk back onto that delicate web of skin between the thumb and trigger finger.

Both have been set up with QD 'scopes (why would you need open sights, a pop-up sight, and a telescopic sight?).
Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

My M1910 Take Down Model has the 'special folding peep sight' as offered originally on pre WW2 Mannlicher Schoenauers. I have never found it to be a 'hinderance' of any sort. It's a rather nifty bit of kit, actually.

When down it stays down, when deployed I have never had it bite my hand and I have some fairly hefty paws (my '44 Mag Vaquero revolver has oversized grips). I have lost small chunks of the web of my hand (between thumb and trigger finger) to slides of small framed automatic pistols more than once, which is why I don't care for them.

I always hold the 1910 (9.5X57 - .375 Nitro Express Rimless, of course) very tight to the shoulder while sighting / firing, have never had any concern of the tang sight causing me damage and, when held tightly, she's never bruised me badly. I use 42 grains IMR4895 pushing the .375 270 grain RN.

Mine also has iron sights and claw mount 4X Gerard scope. When eyes were younger I made use of all three sighting systems, each better suited for different situations / lighting. The vintage scope mountings for MS nearly always were 'see through' to allow for quick acquisition with iron, then bring eye straight up to scope. With 'scope removed, the tang sight springs up instantly when / if desired with press of a button, push down and it clicks shut. When open, bolt may cycle right 'through' tang sight as shown in catalog image:

MS ST39 51 Mannlicher Schoenauer details 06.jpg

Stoeger, 1939

MS ST39 51 Mannlicher Schoenauer details 03.jpg

'Vienna Snapper' mount on MS.

MS ST39 50 Mannlicher Schoenauer Options.jpg

'Options' list, 1939 Stoeger - Special Folding Peep Sight, $12.00 ($271.14 in 2024 dollars, per usinflationcalculator) - a pricey addition.

Mauser Peep Stoeger 1939.jpg

Mauser used them, as well

MS Folding Peep Westley Ricgards 1912 03.jpg

As had Westley Richards (1912 ad)

Mauser Stoeger 1939 Page 45 Detail.jpg

Claw mounted 'scope on Mauser, also 'see through' for iron sighting

Attachments

• CHAPUIS LEFT HAND 470 NITRO EXPRESS- DELUXE MODEL BROUSSE with UPGRADES- EXHIBITION WOOD- HAND...pdf
    238.4 KB · Views: 8
Southpaw friendly and gorgeous wood. Beautiful Chapuis.
Nice solid chapuis double rifle for a budget minded lefty. And sold by Champlin so you can trust the product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThadPhifer

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.
Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!