Good Gun Deals This Week

Anyone familiar with or knowledgeable of newer Winchester Model 70 Safari Expresses in .375, care to divulge what they think a "good deal" would be for one in really great shape? Looking at one where seller is asking $1,400. Also, if you know how they handle/shoot?

Thx

Anyone familiar with or knowledgeable of newer Winchester Model 70 Safari Expresses in .375, care to divulge what they think a "good deal" would be for one in really great shape? Looking at one where seller is asking $1,400. Also, if you know how they handle/shoot?

Thx

$1400 for a Safari Express is not a bad deal, I believe they go for around $1800+.

Thank you all for the quick responses. I'll let you know how it goes.

Here’s one for the group. The wood is surprisingly high figure and would refinish nicely, but you’ll always live with the 5 huge marks on the side denoting prior kills. Not often will you find a mauser action 9.3x62mm at this price point. It’d make a fun project gun.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 9.11.57 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 9.11.57 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 52
Here’s one for the group. The wood is surprisingly high figure and would refinish nicely, but you’ll always live with the 5 huge marks on the side denoting prior kills. Not often will you find a mauser action 9.3x62mm at this price point. It’d make a fun project gun.

Some had the same thought as you and bought it

Wasn't it Sabatti who was taking a file to the crown to regulate their doubles? I seem to remember something about the Cabela's Sabatti rifles but I've never confirmed it.

Damn, that went pretty cheap
I don’t know much about these, but do have a couple friends that bought one of these when sold by Cabelas and they would have gladly sold theirs for the price realized at auction. . I have no idea if the Cabelas guns were built different than others, but oddly I know another guy who bought one after the Cabelas series as an entry into the double game and stuck with it because he really liked it.

Some had the same thought as you and bought it

Congrats. For $150 in supplies and some elbow grease, that gun will look very good. Add in a nice silver’s london orange pad and its install for another $150, even better. The safety I’m not quite clear on yet. It looks like it has a safety on the right, plus a mauser flag safety converted to a wisner style as well? If that’s the case, finding a “safety less“ bolt shroud would be inexpensive and make the gun look a bit nicer. Only other thing I can think of is losing the fugly aluminum mounts and putting a set of Talley mounts and rings on the gun.

Overall, for $1500 in total when you’re done (minus optic, inclusive of gun purchase price) I think you’d have a very nice safari rifle.

If you want to create a restoration thread on it, it would be enjoyable to watch your progress. She’ll clean up.

I’ve seen a Dakota 97 All-Weather with iron sights chambered in 300 H&H (one of my favorite calibers), apparently in excellent condition. I see most Dakota 97s in the $2-3k range, but I’ve never seen any in a classic African caliber or with irons. Seems like this 300 H&H All-Weather would be a great setup for Alaska. I know the Dakota 76s are more loved than 97s ( I have several wonderful Dakota 76s and Model 10s thanks to the bad influences of @rookhawk and @redleg ) , but it’s my understanding that the 97s are also CRF while being lighter, though somehow more cheaply manufactured. Anyone have experience with these 97s with extra bells and whistles? How should I think about price/value?

I’ve saw a Dakota 76 Professional Hunter in 338 RUM has been sold by First Stop I think, that would also be pretty neat for an Alaska rifle.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
The 97 is a round action with non integral recoil lug and the 76 is flat based with integral lug. The 97 is cheaper to make from round bar stock, same as a Rem 700.

Congrats. For $150 in supplies and some elbow grease, that gun will look very good. Add in a nice silver’s london orange pad and its install for another $150, even better. The safety I’m not quite clear on yet. It looks like it has a safety on the right, plus a mauser flag safety converted to a wisner style as well? If that’s the case, finding a “safety less“ bolt shroud would be inexpensive and make the gun look a bit nicer. Only other thing I can think of is losing the fugly aluminum mounts and putting a set of Talley mounts and rings on the gun.

Overall, for $1500 in total when you’re done (minus optic, inclusive of gun purchase price) I think you’d have a very nice safari rifle.

If you want to create a restoration thread on it, it would be enjoyable to watch your progress. She’ll clean up.
Sorry, typo, someone had the same thought. It was sold by the time I opened the link.

Damn, that went pretty cheap
Cheap enough if you want a Sabatti and if it regulates ok. I would much rather spend 2 or three times that on a more reliable brand with better warrenty and service. I personally don't think much of the service available to Sabatti customers in the US or especially TX.

A few years ago that price was as the high side.

Someone will come along and remind us the name of the guy who fixed those Cabela's disasters. Reports are decent if he had worked on them.

Cheap enough if you want a Sabatti and if it regulates ok. I would much rather spend 2 or three times that on a more reliable brand with better warrenty and service. I personally don't think much of the service available to Sabatti customers in the US or especially TX.

A few years ago that price was as the high side.

Someone will come along and remind us the name of the guy who fixed those Cabela's disasters. Reports are decent if he had worked on them.
Ken Owen in TN was the man who fixed them

Montana Rifle Company Model 1999 Biesen Custom Rifle | 375 WSM​

A lot of gun for the money. The wildcat caliber definitely hurts it. The stockwork looks top notch. Not sure if there is any proof it was done by Biesen and Farman but you could not have the stock made for that asking price (which is often the case on custom rifles)

Attachments

• Montana Rifle Company Model 1999 Biesen Custom Rifle | 375 WSM - Bolt Action Rifles at GunBrok...pdf
    2 MB · Views: 21
I’d like to see a better custom mauser than this for $699?

Needs a new butt plate or custom pad, and it needs a stock refinish and a cleaning. A dandy of a German mauser sporting rifle with a full length rib.

P.S. - Just noticed the dutchman added to the top tang as a repair. Kind of a bummer. It will need a new stock or a refinish after bolstering the repair and checkering it over. I still would take it if offered to me for reasonable money since it’s all repairable. Even the recoil plate could be fixed with some epoxy, sanding, and recutting the lines.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 9.12.42 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 9.12.42 AM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 55

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeviHyde3

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt