Good Gun Deals This Week

:D Pop Popcorn:

Attachments

That’s going a bit far.
It was admitTeddy lot far and intended to provide a little humor. Let me provide a more substantive response.

This is the good deals thread. There is a definition of a good deal in the first post, but in summary, its an interesting or desirable rifle at a price below market value. The market value is ultimately what people are willing to pay, and often related to condition, utility, scarcity, collectibility, provenance and even whether ammunition is available. I’m not debating the utility of the rifle.

The “push feed” model 70 is short hand for an era of model 70s when cost cutting was at its peak, quality at a low point, and in which many feel Winchester lost its way. These post 63 model 70s consistently go for far, far less that the pre-64 and later CRF models of similar configuration, often on the order of 50% or less. That’s the market value. It reminds me a little of Mopar. They made iconic muscle cars in the 60s and make some great cars now. It doesn’t mean I want a ‘78 Chrysler LeBaron.

Members here have recently posted 375s by Whitworth, Ruger and CRF Winchesters is a similar price range that are far better deals. Someone else noted that the vintage Redfield scope does in fact have some value. The peek-a-boo scope mounts are, well, perfect for that rifle.

I think this push fed model 70 is going to linger at Cabelas at that price. When someone does buy it, if they chose to take it to Africa I hope they have a great time. I think the likelihood of a jam or malfunction is exceedingly remote. I also hope they get it at a much better price, so they can put that towards additional trophy etc if they chose.

That looks like an honest to goodness Certus in your profile picture. Perhaps in 450/400? Those are super cool old guns, that exude history, nostalgia and character. I’ve seen them often in the 5-7k+ range. You can find a cheaper way to send a 400gr bullet downrange, but it just won’t be the same.

@318AE oh I took your post as a humorous one, don’t worry. My response was also intended with jest :D

I agree that they should be priced lower and are less desirable. And with pretty much everything you said. I just mean that push feed rifles in general aren’t the unreliable going to fail things a lot seem to make them out to be (and I’m not actually thinking of anyone in particular when I say this).

Yeah that’s my Certus, it’s a .450 though. Got it for $2k. Not in great shape but it does go hang and I’ve got a fox and a pig with it :) made 1905. I guess it would fall under this thread title, hey? They had a special load for the Certus .450’s, that I’ve also seen on a Coggie .450 double. In the catalog that load (if I recall it’s 440gr bullet 65gr cordite) is listed at 2000fps. So lighter bullet, lighter charge, slower.

@Uncontrolled_round_feed love it, and your name :D

Not sure if this is a good deal?
Anyone? Cheers

Attachments

Attachments

Hello gents, new to the forum and getting ready for my first Africa hunts starting this year. Looking for a Winchester Safari Express in 375 in good condition. Haven't had much luck on gunbroker. hope this is the right place to post - any advice appreciated! thanks

Attachments

Rather than a push feed, I always called them @Uncontrolled_round_feed :) Helps make the point.
Uncontrolled, I have an observation based on my limited experience and also a comment on what I’ve read - interested in opinions of others…Here goes:
1). My push feed Sako .30-06 and also Browning ABolt .270 are both faster (short degree rotation of bolt) and smoother then any CRF/Mauser type action that I’ve used. They also both shoot 3 shot sub MOA with Factory ammo.
2). I’ve read that “usually” push feed actions are more accurate the CRF…although to what meaningful degree (if any) I don’t know.

@318AE oh I took your post as a humorous one, don’t worry. My response was also intended with jest :D

I agree that they should be priced lower and are less desirable. And with pretty much everything you said. I just mean that push feed rifles in general aren’t the unreliable going to fail things a lot seem to make them out to be (and I’m not actually thinking of anyone in particular when I say this).

Yeah that’s my Certus, it’s a .450 though. Got it for $2k. Not in great shape but it does go hang and I’ve got a fox and a pig with it :) made 1905. I guess it would fall under this thread title, hey? They had a special load for the Certus .450’s, that I’ve also seen on a Coggie .450 double. In the catalog that load (if I recall it’s 440gr bullet 65gr cordite) is listed at 2000fps. So lighter bullet, lighter charge, slower.

@Uncontrolled_round_feed love it, and your name :D
Because it is impossible to derail this thread, thought I would post a picture of mine. Interesting old guns with the ergonomics of a 2x4. My C&H is in .450 as well. The action actually resembles a Mauser 66 more than any other - a very very long action Mauser 66 - and an action over half a century in the future. C&H very quickly realized that the '98 really was a better mouse trap and that some rounds were best left in double rifles. Mauser would also come to the same conclusion about the 66. ;)

They are a very rare bit of history.
Certus .450

Last edited:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1033594215

I'm chasing this one, hopefully not bidding against anybody here.

Good luck but be careful!

The auction has a reserve. Not good as reserves may encourage bidders to bid one more time to reveal it.
The stock has a big crack behind the rear crack.
It is rechambered in 375 Weatherby. This isn't very bad but reduces the collector value.

My guess is it is only worth $1500 on the high end. Still, I'd rather buy this one and spend a couple hundred to have the stock professionally repaired than buy a new consumer grade .375.

Thanks, I saw the crack and the rechambering. I have a pre-war M70 375 and I'd really like the extra velocity of the Weatherby but don't want to modify my pre-war. I'm hoping the crack combined with the rechambering will keep the bidding down on this one. I pushed the bid up to see if I could get past the reserve but no dice yet. I emailed the seller to ask what the reserve is, if he's over $1400 then I'm out. Will respond here with the reserve in case others are interested beyond $1400.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffreyHud

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?