Good Gun Deals This Week

New this 470 sells for $14,500

MSRP is not a particularly valuable benchmark. A custom made mid-grade boxlock ejector shotgun made in England or Scotland costs $60,000 today. A century old one by same maker of equal quality, as new, literally barely used might be $4000-$6000.

The question is, at roughly $10,000 for a used double rifle, is it a good value? I view $10,000 to mean +/- 20%, or $8000-$12,000. The answer is, there are older Heyms at $12,000 and they will hold or grow their value, and there are Searcy, Chapuis, Merkels, VCs, and Sabattis that lose value.

Its not a terrible deal, but anytime someone searches the bottom of the barrel for a double rifle, they generally get a lousy double rifle. On the other hand, $10,000ish gets you a world class magazine rifle.

My only real experience is with the Chapuis is the 9.3x74R OU I purchased new some years ago. It has been a dog. The safety made a cocking lever built by a Khyber gunmaker seem fluid. The initial trigger weights were somewhere north of eight pounds. To this day the closest group at fifty yards (much less the one hundred I demand of my doubles) can only charitably be called a pattern. I won't own another one.

My only real experience is with the Chapuis is the 9.3x74R OU I purchased new some years ago. It has been a dog. The safety made a cocking lever built by a Khyber gunmaker seem fluid. The initial trigger weights were somewhere north of eight pounds. To this day the closest group at fifty yards (much less the one hundred I demand of my doubles) can only charitably be called a pattern. I won't own another one.
Sounds very similar to a fellow AH'er in Zimbabwe's story with a Chapuis 375 Flanged.

Recently at the Houston Safari convention I talked to many good outfitters from Africa. All or most of them spoke highly of Heym, Krieghoff, VC and even Merkel. They all owned one of these in a double either a 470 or 500 ne. They said you have to factor in the branding/marketing aspect and all these are good workhorses and very similar.

We have had every current made boxlock double rifle in our shop, have shot them all, worked on all, had all of them apart and we know for fact that you can't buy a better one for the money than a Chapuis. We regulate, re-joint, do triggers, re-barrel and hunt with and shoot a lot of double rifles. We flat know this is one tough, attractive, high precision, go to Africa and have money left for the second Buffalo type of gun. I challenge you to show me a better current double rifle for the money. George Caswell, Champlin Arms.
That's a pretty strong statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rigby Highland Stalker 30-06 at a good price, $8900
I’ve been on the lookout for a Highland stalker and contacted the seller minutes after it was posted. The seller was very responsive at first and then radio silence. Now it says sale pending. Oh well, the hunt goes on.

I’ve been on the lookout for a Highland stalker and contacted the seller minutes after it was posted. The seller was very responsive at first and then radio silence. Now it says sale pending. Oh well, the hunt goes on.
yes unfortunately when a gun of value with great reputation shows up well priced they are gone quickly

Attachments

• FREE SAFARI, CUSTOM JOHN RIGBY HIGHLAND STALKER 30-06 MAUSER ACTION UPGRADE - Bolt Action Rifl...pdf
    3 MB · Views: 24
Hello gents, new to the forum and getting ready for my first Africa hunts starting this year. Looking for a Winchester Safari Express in 375 in good condition. Haven't had much luck on gunbroker. hope this is the right place to post - any advice appreciated! thanks
This was my first safari gun as well! I found it to be perfect for about anything eland on down. What are you planning on hunting?

If buffalo or bigger animals are on your list you might also consider a two gun combo like 30-06 and 458. The 06 with 220gr RN corelokt wallops plains game 600lbs and under.

There aren’t as many 375’s out there right now as I would’ve expected, but I did find this one that looked like a solid deal (at the moment).

Attachments

• Winchester Model 70 Classic Super Express .375 H&H Mag 24%22 Bolt Rifle 1992 - Bolt Action Rif...pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
Yea similar experience. Contacted the seller and got a couple emails right back. Then text apparently from a friend of the LGS that had it. Said he bought it in a package deal but really didn't want it. Interested in old Winchester and lower cost mote common guns. I listed several I'd be interested interested in trading. He said he was sure we could get a deal sorted out. So I spent a lot of time sorting through over a hundred guns, taking pics all the while recieving encouragement that he was very interested. Then crickets.....

Seller may well be a scammer..

Attachments

• Blaser ~ R8 ~ .338 Winchester Magnum | Cabela's.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Nah, not toss it, replace it. Toss the mounts. LOL!!!! Yes, old Redfield were great scope for the era, and the new by Leupold are not too bad either. (y)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SimonGlass

Latest profile posts

JG26Irish_2 wrote on WISafariHunter's profile.
About Lon's Elephant hunts w/Tokoloshe? I hear Lon is battling cancer? What is his long term prognosis? I am already booked to hunt Africa in 2024 2025. Might consider 2026 for another African hunt. I want to hunt a more wild open region devoid of civilization. Concern is the risk that I book f/2026 then find poor Lon has passed on? Does Lon have any assistance to carry on the business in his absence?
Life is Short live it how you want...
jgraco33 wrote on 85lc's profile.
Is your 22HP still available? If so have the original case?
tacklers wrote on ianevans's profile.
Hi Ian, I'm contemplating my first outing, leaving UK via Dubai to Africa, taking rifles as you did.

I presume it went okay for you, would you have done anything differently? Cheers, Richard East Sussex