Good Gun Deals This Week

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 8.19.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 8.19.10 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 72
Full retail for a Dakota from the most desirable era of their production? Not sure about that.

The brake isn’t a hard fix..

As for the 416 Rem Mag I think it’s kinda in the same boat as the 458 WM. Also, from what I’ve seen, you’re probably not going to buy a higher quality 416 Rigby for less than $8k? Unless it’s a Dakota. I think the price reflects that.

It was around a year ago I sold a spare Dakota on this forum. Same super desirable era. True magnum action. Africa model with all the bells in whistles. It was in the more desirable 416 Rigby. It was either unfired or had been fired less than one box of ammo. I think I sold it in the low-$6k range after a month on the site? Its wood was beautiful but not as beautiful as the example shared above, but other than that it was superior in every measurable way.

As a collector I do not own wildcats, nor do I own goofy cartridges that marketing teams designed to cram a proven, storied Africa cartridge into their mass-produced long action. (e.g. anything that ends in Remington or Ruger) As a hunter, I know that if I lose my ammo or I run short in the bush on a month long safari, I can get on whatsapp and beg-borrow for "normal" calibers but not these goofball ones. 375HH, 458, 416 Rigby, 470NE, 404 Jeff, 500 Jeff, 500NE, 450/400 3". That's what exists in the bush and its ironically the calibers that hold their collectible value as well.

It was around a year ago I sold a spare Dakota on this forum. Same super desirable era. True magnum action. Africa model with all the bells in whistles. It was in the more desirable 416 Rigby. It was either unfired or had been fired less than one box of ammo. I think I sold it in the low-$6k range after a month on the site? Its wood was beautiful but not as beautiful as the example shared above, but other than that it was superior in every measurable way.

As a collector I do not own wildcats, nor do I own goofy cartridges that marketing teams designed to cram a proven, storied Africa cartridge into their mass-produced long action. (e.g. anything that ends in Remington or Ruger) As a hunter, I know that if I lose my ammo or I run short in the bush on a month long safari, I can get on whatsapp and beg-borrow for "normal" calibers but not these goofball ones. 375HH, 458, 416 Rigby, 470NE, 404 Jeff, 500 Jeff, 500NE, 450/400 3". That's what exists in the bush and its ironically the calibers that hold their collectible value as well.
I remember that. I also mentioned Dakota as an option for the Rigby in that price range. This rifle has most of if not all of the same desirable features minus the brake, so I think it’s highly subjective whether it is inferior in every way. Regardless, in both cases the platform is appropriate for its respective cartridge so action size is irrelevant IMO.

I can see the sense in the ammo availability argument particularly in the harder to reach areas. Having said that I wonder how much it comes up in reality. It would be interesting to know how readily available 416 rem mag ammo is.

I can see myself owning that. I can also see myself getting hit by the scope.
Looks like there's plenty of room to slide that scope forward in the rings :A Popcorn:

I remember that. I also mentioned Dakota as an option for the Rigby in that price range. This rifle has most of if not all of the same desirable features minus the brake, so I think it’s highly subjective whether it is inferior in every way. Regardless, in both cases the platform is appropriate for its respective cartridge so action size is irrelevant IMO.

I can see the sense in the ammo availability argument particularly in the harder to reach areas. Having said that I wonder how much it comes up in reality. It would be interesting to know how readily available 416 rem mag ammo is.

Superior Defined:

Type of wood. Africa model versus Safari model. Foregrip recoil reducer. Butt stock recoil reducer. LOP longer than 13-5/8”. Extended bottom metal. Checkered bolt knob. Quarter rib versus island sight. Folding front night sight bead. Standing and folding express sights. Shadow line cheek piece. Ken Howell sling stud. Barrel band swivel. Magnum length action. Gloss versus matte bluing. Finer LPI checkering. Original case. Original paperwork. Don Miller era manufactured. These are the things that increase the value of a dakota considerably.

Things that detract from dakota values considerably: non-magnum length cartridge. Dakota proprietary cartridge. Lack of talley mounts/rings. Left handed. Short barrels. Muzzle brakes. Lack of iron sights. Magnum recoil pads that further reduced the wood length of pull.

I’ve owned many, many dakotas. I own a few at present. I track the markets closely. Everyone’s personal opinions vary on what “good” or “valuable” looks like and I certainly have my own preferences that disagree with some of the “superior versus inferior” statements above. Nonetheless, value is derived by demand and therefore the aggregate opinion of the market decides what is better or worse. We can argue of the market is right about their preferences, but the sale prices prove their preferences do exist.

Must like 'lively' recoil! A 6# pound rifle is pretty light even for an '06.

I must admit, when I read that earlier I winced and pushed the laptop away from me in disgust for a moment. I’m a giant coward, I hate recoil. A 6lb 338 sounds to me like handling an 11lb .577NE. Not fun.

I must admit, when I read that earlier I winced and pushed the laptop away from me in disgust for a moment. I’m a giant coward, I hate recoil. A 6lb 338 sounds to me like handling an 11lb .577NE. Not fun.
If it makes you feel better is shot my 505 and was thinking I don’ remember it being anything like that. Use to shoot a lot of big stuff but never shoot more than 3 rounds from my custom 416 wby. I was fine with my 378 or 460. I use think the 505 was a pussy cat. My 8:5lb lot is not bad. All those were from the bench.

If it makes you feel better is shot my 505 and was thinking I don’ remember it being anything like that. Use to shoot a lot of big stuff but never shoot more than 3 rounds from my custom 416 wby. I was fine with my 378 or 460. I use think the 505 was a pussy cat. My 8:5lb lot is not bad. All those were from the bench.

I have to ask. Are you a tiny guy or a giant guy? I find that smaller build people (e.g. Navy Seal types, 5’10” 160lbs) just get tossed around by recoil like they are riding a bull. Bigger/heavier people are like brick walls and all the recoil just transfers from the gun into a static object. I’m on the giant side of the spectrum and I just hate recoil. I don’t move an inch from any recoil, it just detaches retinas and removes fillings while I cry on the inside.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 6.20.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 6.20.19 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 6.20.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 6.20.21 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 6.20.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 6.20.23 AM.png
    654.9 KB · Views: 32
I have to ask. Are you a tiny guy or a giant guy? I find that smaller build people (e.g. Navy Seal types, 5’10” 160lbs) just get tossed around by recoil like they are riding a bull. Bigger/heavier people are like brick walls and all the recoil just transfers from the gun into a static object. I’m on the giant side of the spectrum and I just hate recoil. I don’t move an inch from any recoil, it just detaches retinas and removes fillings while I cry on the inside.
I only weigh 130lbs. I have no problem shooting my 505 gibbs or the wby's. I guess it is shooting technics.
Krish

6ft 1inch 260 lbs. no I don’t move. People always say it doesn’t look like the gun kicks much until they shoot it. I do have lots of floater in my eyes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelvinaQua

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg