Good Gun Deals This Week

Nice thread @rookhawk.

I’m currently searching for a vintage SxS shotgun to use in my sporting clays (for fun) and hunting pursuits. I typically look at AH Fox, LC Smith and the like, but I don’t always know what to look for or avoid in these guns.

I may post some shotgun results I am curious about to this thread.

Well feel free to demote/ delist this post but here is a line item listing of an upcoming auction in Kansas in January. No other information yet or any pictures but it is over 200 guns.
264949161_4641621692557626_5913545472730089785_n.jpg
265575054_4641621675890961_5124775688156604845_n.jpg
265752944_4641621775890951_7990685172431988763_n.jpg
266189238_4641621822557613_2216455296233900745_n.jpg

Not much information to go on but it's something to look at ....

Sorry forgot to put in the link to the auction company
Cochran Auction company
Caldwell, Kansas

+2. What I really like about this thread is learning about rifle brands that I have never heard of before. The experts here describing the good, bad and ugly of each rifle is very interesting and enlightening to me.

Last edited:
Today's could be "good deal". Morphy's Auction is running a live auction. Most of the stuff has reached insane prices. This one may or may not.

It's an early 20th century Griffin & Howe in 220 Swift built on a springfield action. Aesthetically, it looks like a perfect example to my eyes. Smaller calibers are uncommon. It has a Griffin & Howe serial number on the barrel, #1776. I believe the current pre-auction bid is at $1400 plus buyers premiums. (assume 20%)

I'd say this gun is worth $4000 to my eye. If it were a mauser or if were in a large game caliber (.243 and up) it would probably command more interest. Nonetheless, its a beatiful gun. I'd feel very comfortable bidding up to $2000 ($2500 with fees and shipping, landed) if I wanted a speculative investment that could be flipped easily for nearly double in 3-6 months. For an investment class rifle to buy and hold, I'd be comfortable at a bid up to $2700 ($3300 landed after fees) as an alternative asset class.

Others feel free to comment. Live auction happening now:

P.S. - Don't bid on the other G&H...not good.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 10.32.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 10.32.46 AM.png
    631.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 10.32.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 10.32.47 AM.png
    346 KB · Views: 117
Well feel free to demote/ delist this post but here is a line item listing of an upcoming auction in Kansas in January. No other information yet or any pictures but it is over 200 guns.

Hello @K-man:

I looked at the list of guns and at first glance, I wouldn't want to own or invest into a single thing in the whole auction. It reads like a textbook "this is how to leave your kids with less money in your estate than had you just bought bonds and CDs"

Reasons I'm likely right:

-Lots of production modern guns. Even if there is some amateur collector appeal to one of the brands or another, the odds that they are 100% condition, never touched, mint box, new old stock are very slim. This is the problem for people that collect modern production guns. They made a million of every model, so scarcity of guns does not exist, only scarcity of condition exists. I don't buy guns to own where a humid day damages the box reducing the value of the gun 10%, nor do I buy a gun where shooting one round from the rifle reduced the gun's value by 30% or more. I also know there will be a hundred side-liners running around bidding up pedestrian production guns to dumb prices. A sort of redneck flea market. (confession: I'm a redneck, I certainly have been to many fleamarkets)

Reasons I might be wrong:

-Never-heard-of-them auction houses are notoriously bad at appraising guns. So what they say is a factory production gun could be a best custom gun. That springfield, winchester, mauser, or other such gun listed in the roster could end being a Biesen, Niedner, Griffin, Sedgley, Ramirez, Hough, or any of a score of best makers of the 20th century. $10,000 errors in description do occasionally happen. All the guns look like ~$1000 guns, if a $20,000 gun is actually at the auction, it's unlikely the attendees will have $4000 to bid it up to 1/5th actual value.

-A couple of guns went through the hands of Champlin arms. Are those factory nothing-burger guns or did those get into JJ's hands where they had $5000+ in custom work done to them? Don't know.

My time is valuable, so I usually avoid wasting a dollar in gas to go check these types of auctions out, but a person that always carries emergency "Deal cash" on them and stumbles into these sales with an open mind and good eye will find a deal 1/10th of the time. It's a question of what your time is worth and are you ready to drop $5,000-$20,000 on the spot if you find the deal of a lifetime?

Biggest mistake I ever made: I was going into times of lean finances and I didn't have the normal cash I purposely set aside for buying guns that I did in better years. I once passed on a gun for $6500, buying only its twin for slightly less than that. The one I passed on turned out to be a quarter of a million-dollar (or more) gun. A bitter story for another time. Always have benjamins ready.

The best collectors I know are middle-class, humble people with the self-discipline to carry $10,000 in cash with them everywhere they go, yet they have the self-discipline to not blow it foolishly. Those guys are the ones with the epic collections because no man knows the day nor hour that the finest guns in the world appear for sale too cheap. The guy with the most physical cash at that moment wins the day, usually at 1/20th of fair market value to an auctioneer that couldn't care less what he's selling.

Today's could be "good deal". Morphy's Auction is running a live auction. Most of the stuff has reached insane prices. This one may or may not.

It's an early 20th century Griffin & Howe in 220 Swift built on a springfield action. Aesthetically, it looks like a perfect example to my eyes. Smaller calibers are uncommon. It has a Griffin & Howe serial number on the barrel, #1776. I believe the current pre-auction bid is at $1400 plus buyers premiums. (assume 20%)

I'd say this gun is worth $4000 to my eye. If it were a mauser or if were in a large game caliber (.243 and up) it would probably command more interest. Nonetheless, its a beatiful gun. I'd feel very comfortable bidding up to $2000 ($2500 with fees and shipping, landed) if I wanted a speculative investment that could be flipped easily for nearly double in 3-6 months. For an investment class rifle to buy and hold, I'd be comfortable at a bid up to $2700 ($3300 landed after fees) as an alternative asset class.

Others feel free to comment. Live auction happening now:

P.S. - Don't bid on the other G&H...not good.

The gun sold for $2400. That's $2880 after 20% buyer's premium.

That was a good value. Not a great deal, but a solid deal.

Don't believe me, go into a Cabelas and show me something of their plastic guns in the rack that sell for $3500 and identify a better gun.

Well feel free to demote/ delist this post but here is a line item listing of an upcoming auction in Kansas in January. No other information yet or any pictures but it is over 200 guns.View attachment 441848View attachment 441849View attachment 441850View attachment 441851
The Champlins with the octagon barrels might be a good buy for the right price if they’re in good shape. They’re neat rifles IMHO but they do have their own style. Especially as an Okie. Missed out on one earlier this year and it still gnaws at me. Just for an idea of the work they put out: https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...english-walnut-ottmar-23.cfm?gun_id=100150197

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 1.42.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 1.42.59 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 111
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 1.43.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 1.43.00 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 112
Hello @K-man:

I looked at the list of guns and at first glance, I wouldn't want to own or invest into a single thing in the whole auction. It reads like a textbook "this is how to leave your kids with less money in your estate than had you just bought bonds and CDs"

Reasons I'm likely right:

-Lots of production modern guns. Even if there is some amateur collector appeal to one of the brands or another, the odds that they are 100% condition, never touched, mint box, new old stock are very slim. This is the problem for people that collect modern production guns. They made a million of every model, so scarcity of guns does not exist, only scarcity of condition exists. I don't buy guns to own where a humid day damages the box reducing the value of the gun 10%, nor do I buy a gun where shooting one round from the rifle reduced the gun's value by 30% or more. I also know there will be a hundred side-liners running around bidding up pedestrian production guns to dumb prices. A sort of redneck flea market. (confession: I'm a redneck, I certainly have been to many fleamarkets)

Reasons I might be wrong:

-Never-heard-of-them auction houses are notoriously bad at appraising guns. So what they say is a factory production gun could be a best custom gun. That springfield, winchester, mauser, or other such gun listed in the roster could end being a Biesen, Niedner, Griffin, Sedgley, Ramirez, Hough, or any of a score of best makers of the 20th century. $10,000 errors in description do occasionally happen. All the guns look like ~$1000 guns, if a $20,000 gun is actually at the auction, it's unlikely the attendees will have $4000 to bid it up to 1/5th actual value.

-A couple of guns went through the hands of Champlin arms. Are those factory nothing-burger guns or did those get into JJ's hands where they had $5000+ in custom work done to them? Don't know.

My time is valuable, so I usually avoid wasting a dollar in gas to go check these types of auctions out, but a person that always carries emergency "Deal cash" on them and stumbles into these sales with an open mind and good eye will find a deal 1/10th of the time. It's a question of what your time is worth and are you ready to drop $5,000-$20,000 on the spot if you find the deal of a lifetime?

Biggest mistake I ever made: I was going into times of lean finances and I didn't have the normal cash I purposely set aside for buying guns that I did in better years. I once passed on a gun for $6500, buying only its twin for slightly less than that. The one I passed on turned out to be a quarter of a million-dollar (or more) gun. A bitter story for another time. Always have benjamins ready.

The best collectors I know are middle-class, humble people with the self-discipline to carry $10,000 in cash with them everywhere they go, yet they have the self-discipline to not blow it foolishly. Those guys are the ones with the epic collections because no man knows the day nor hour that the finest guns in the world appear for sale too cheap. The guy with the most physical cash at that moment wins the day, usually at 1/20th of fair market value to an auctioneer that couldn't care less what he's selling.
Agree completely. This is one man's collection going up for auction. I think any of these guns are just for a person to buy because they want it, not as an investment for the future. Guns to be shot and enjoyed. There may be a sleeper in the bunch, and for me it's only about 45 minutes away. We'll see....

Thanks for the fantastic thread. I love looking at the ads. I have one request if I may. I'm left handed and own several right handed rifles, but don't shoot them since I jumped the fence and started buying lefties. I'm not totally against buying righties, but it would have to be a very special item that one of my son's or grandson could shoot. I'm really interested in LH Mod 70's and 98 pattern Mausers. I know, they are scarce as frog hair, but they are out there. Maybe once in a while wile munching on your lunch, put in a search for some lefties. You never know what you might find. I'm BigFan375 on the site.

Thanks in advance for your efforts on my part...

Looked over that auction list that @K-man posted. It looks like they're some winners on the list. several Ruger #1, an unknown Blaser, several Colt pistols, some SAKOS, a SIG P220, a few Brownings, and a Husqvarna. But, all would require hands on inspection.

Last edited:
Thanks for the fantastic thread. I love looking at the ads. I have one request if I may. I'm left handed and own several right handed rifles, but don't shoot them since I jumped the fence and started buying lefties. I'm not totally against buying righties, but it would have to be a very special item that one of my son's or grandson could shoot. I'm really interested in LH Mod 70's and 98 pattern Mausers. I know, they are scarce as frog hair, but they are out there. Maybe once in a while wile munching on your lunch, put in a search for some lefties. You never know what you might find. I'm BigFan375 on the site.

Thanks in advance for your efforts on my part...

Sure thing, @BigFan375 . We need to get down to definitions though.

There are right handed guns that are stocked left-handed. These are the true social pariahs. You can get amazing deals on these guns as they are lefty, thus 1/10th of shooters might be lefty, yet they are mechanically righty so the interest level is probably <1% of the potential market. As such, they languish for peanuts and if you grew up operating a righty bolt but you want a proper lefty stock fit, boy are you in for a deal. You can shoot best quality guns for Ford Festiva prices.

Then there are true lefty guns. Lefty actions. Triggers are bent slightly for left hand operation. Bolt shroud safety levers operate from right to left. These are rare as hen's teeth in "Best quality" guns. Prechtl and Reimer Johannsen made actions in true-lefty reverse blueprints of right handed 98 mausers, magnum mausers, kurz mausers, and single/double square bridge configurations. They cost a friggin' fortune but you can find deals on them because there are just fewer possible customers and they are not likely to be an inheritable item. (what will your righty heirs do with this goofy thing?). You won't get the deal you get in the righty/lefty hodgpodge guns from the paragraph above, but the deals are still out there. They can sit on the market for years and years.

There was a very nice London magnum mauser that was a true lefty on the classifieds for a very long time. Watson brothers? William Powell? Whatever it was, it was a very nice true lefty magnum. I would search that up and jump on it.

Thanks for the quick reply. No leftie stocked righty. Too hard to operate the bolt. Doubles are truly dream "lotto" guns and are usually out of my price range. Back in the day, CZ Charles Daly maybe? were available in 98 pattern Mauser. I have one I turned into a 404 Jeffery for my buffalo hunt in 2016. And currently, you can at least order a CZ in mirror image 98, but the getting it might be difficult. P.O. Ackley made some back in the 60's I believe. Have a receiver body, but no bolt for the full action. Tried to get a bolt built by David Gentry, but he gave up and sent the whole thing back to me. And he has since passed away so there is no chance of a second try.

The English, German and other foreign makes are usually out of my price range as well. I covet all of them, but can only afford to look for the most part. Never know, I want to see all of them just to see what's out there.

Good news, I have a left handed granddaughter...yeehaa. She is going to have quit the collection when I pass...lol

Anyway, it is obvious you are so far ahead of me in gun knowledge that I hope I did not make a fool of myself with any of my comments above. Not currently in front of my safe to verify brands.

As to the London magnum Mauser, was that on africahunting classifieds?

Again, thanks for the work you put in on our behalf! I'm looking forward to whatever you can come up with for lefties...Merry Christmas and all the best going through the new year.

With thanks again to @rookhawk and @Red Leg , for their invaluable advice, here a little teaser for the first success of this thread:

Image1640041730.116327.jpg

VERY NICE! Please tell me the owner took that photo. :A Way To Go:

Thanks for the quick reply. No leftie stocked righty. Too hard to operate the bolt. Doubles are truly dream "lotto" guns and are usually out of my price range. Back in the day, CZ Charles Daly maybe? were available in 98 pattern Mauser. I have one I turned into a 404 Jeffery for my buffalo hunt in 2016. And currently, you can at least order a CZ in mirror image 98, but the getting it might be difficult. P.O. Ackley made some back in the 60's I believe. Have a receiver body, but no bolt for the full action. Tried to get a bolt built by David Gentry, but he gave up and sent the whole thing back to me. And he has since passed away so there is no chance of a second try.

The English, German and other foreign makes are usually out of my price range as well. I covet all of them, but can only afford to look for the most part. Never know, I want to see all of them just to see what's out there.

Good news, I have a left handed granddaughter...yeehaa. She is going to have quit the collection when I pass...lol

Anyway, it is obvious you are so far ahead of me in gun knowledge that I hope I did not make a fool of myself with any of my comments above. Not currently in front of my safe to verify brands.

As to the London magnum Mauser, was that on africahunting classifieds?

Again, thanks for the work you put in on our behalf! I'm looking forward to whatever you can come up with for lefties...Merry Christmas and all the best going through the new year.

I respect that you’re on a budget. Nonetheless, I’d prefer you by $10,000 guns for $2000 rather buying $200 guns for $2000. Just my perspective. To have a near best quality lefty made for you would be $12,000-$25,000. Buying that same lefty gun used you could pay $2000-$5000. When you die, it’s worth easily what you paid for it. The modern factory mass market lefties are $300 at the yard sale.

you are in a really good situation with your “disability” in that you can own guns of vastly superior quality than a righty with the same money. Just save up and own fewer better guns. :)

yes, the lefty magnum was in the classifieds and it was pretty darned nice. It would cost “car money” to have built for you, but may be available for a bargain as it was listed for a long time looking for a lefty customer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sv88forex

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?