Good African Safari Shirt?

But how will they stand up to the thorns in the African bush?

The thorns are no joke there but I don't think the PH's were keen on going into thorns up to their elbows. Thus, you won't either. Most of those guys walk around in shorts with tiny gaiters as it is. Which is mind boggling to me.

You learn quick how to spot the thorns. Furthermore, in the pic above with the impala, you can see I am wear brush pants. I wore those pants 50% of my hunts. One hunt I had a thorn go through. So if the thorns are sometimes getting through brush pants? Don't think you'll find a practical shirt that will stop them.

Bring a small tube of antibiotic cream btw. Those thorns get you it itches and burns for a bit.

Anybody ever try any of this company’s shirts or other products?
Discovering a post like yours is one of the reasons I enjoy browsing this forum.

Here's a video (circa 2015) about Avedon & Cobly International Outfitters.

Burt Avedon is an interesting character--he's written a book about his life called Deadeye Trilogy. See also their About Avedon & Colby page.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thats one thing I really hate about Cabelas. Love the store but they make really good stuff then discontinue it. IDK why they do things like that
I've wondered the same thing many times. Finally found a reasonable explanation given in an interview with Burt Avedon:

...but unfortunately good brands of heritage are a reflection of their original management; when they become professionally managed, they lose the spark that brought them to where they are today. I found that to be classic in the industry. Whenever they go into second- and third-generation management, they lose themselves. They no longer have the passion that was originally part of their DNA.

My best safari outfit. Shirt cotton 50 cents at a garage sale, pants Walmart $5 bucks, Keene hiking boots $60 bucks on sale at bass pro, DU hat free. Been good for the last half dozen trips overseas.

IMG_3465.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Only thing gonna save you Tsetse flies in Tanzania and Mozambique is burning dung in the back of the Backi!!! Maybe some skin so soft or Permithin helps??

Yes I have a couple of their signature field shirts, a bit pricy but they are great. Very well made, very comfortable and tough, does not tear easily (mine have never torn) when going through the thorny brush. I only buy them during their sale around Thanksgiving when they offer 20% off. I recently bought their Linen version and wore it on late October hunt in Namibia when it was HOT. They are great, keep you cool and held up remarkably well in the thorny bush.

I also have several of their shirts, and was wearing them for most of the past couple of weeks. Their cotton/wool worked well when I was in colder climates and the poplin or linen when traveling in areas with warm-to-hot weather. Very well made, very expensive. Whether or not the quality is worth the expense is something each of us has to decide for ourselves.

I do have to admit that the many pockets (buttoned and zippered) are handy to have during travel days!

I've wondered the same thing many times. Finally found a reasonable explanation given in an interview with Burt Avedon: but unfortunately good brands of heritage are a reflection of their original management; when they become professionally managed, they lose the spark that brought them to where they are today. I found that to be classic in the industry. Whenever they go into second- and third-generation management, they lose themselves. They no longer have the passion that was originally part of their DNA.

That statement holds true for so very many industries!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoover

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!