Good African Safari Shirt?

I never saw a whole lot, bunch of ticks though. Was mid August in the Thabazimbi area of Limpopo.
Gotcha. Just wondered because I’m very certain that’s not a tsetse area which is what the OP is concerned about.

Also, if someone is hunting in tsetse areas then they’re probably not too concerned about buying more expensive hunting clothes

Last edited:
A lightweight cotton Khaki works best.
IMG_3180.jpeg

With Four pockets if you like to wear them untucked.
IMG_20230413_160026_01.jpg

Any good tailor can make you one.

They now sell them at Walmart of all places.
I thought this had to be wrong. They are available on Walmart.com through a 3rd party seller but not actually at Walmart. It would be nice though if Walmart had them on their shelves.

I thought this had to be wrong. They are available on Walmart.com through a 3rd party seller but not actually at Walmart. It would be nice though if Walmart had them on their shelves.
Probably should have clarified, but it still caught me off guard. +1 on wanting an in store option (although I hate going in Walmart, and give them 1 star every time I go through self checkout)

What’s a good African Safari Shirt to protect against biting tsetse flys and nats?
@Huntforever - if you go on Ebay and find an older “used” Cabela’s “Serengeti” shirt BUY IT….they were very well made, tight weave cotton canvas - durable but Not too hot to wear in warm weather (Cabela’s no longer makes them and current shirts are poor/cheap quality. Next best - Tag Safari, very nice light cotton poplin - not as durable as the older “Serengeti” shirts but cool and well made (not sure if they can be “bitten thru”? I don not care for any nylon shirts…just my opinion but I still have and wear “Serengeti” shirts that are 20+ years old - extremely durable, lots of pockets including zippered ones, long sleeved or short sleeved — they are (were) Great !

I have to use a SPF 50 long sleeve, because scare tissue, I hope my magellen shirts
and old harbor outfit shirts work?
I am also wearing Duluth TC pant hopefully this combo works
alpaca & wool boot socks ( diabetes sux)

Has anyone used the cool and dry performance shirts by Columbia PFG? I like that they are lights weight, come in long sleeve and offer some spf. Again, I'm not worried about flies in RSA.

Yes indeed. It is amazing how powerful WalMart is at finding a product and listing it for sale under Walmart to catch pass-through sales.

Has anyone used the cool and dry performance shirts by Columbia PFG? I like that they are lights weight, come in long sleeve and offer some spf. Again, I'm not worried about flies in RSA.
I use these and OHB , magellen they are great around here + high SPF
we have horse flies, sand flies and other biting insects
dont know how they compare to Tseste flies??
IMG_0927.jpeg

Last edited:
I have them, but really don't like the synthetic material, almost a imy feel.

I have used these Columbia shirts in both long and short sleeve. While they are nice and cool, if you are stalking through brushy terrain, they do not hold up well to the thorns and stickers.

Are you guys aware thar Courtney also made a Bush shirt? I bought one, quite nice and put in an order for more but nothing came of it. I have never seen or heard of another one, maybe just an experiment.
IMG_1716.jpeg

Permethrin and skin so soft bug repellant/sunscreen (works with flies and mosquitos).

I where short sleeve polo cotton blend shirts with some stretch in the fabric if it's hot, more traditional long sleeve button up if its cooler and roll sleeves if warms up----but everything is treated with permethrin. Some good brands----> Filson, TOPO Designs, First Tactical

Of course, answers here are like shu-wee-holes, we all have one. BUT, ya don't need the ultra fancy, high dollar statement attire. Just take our fella hunter, checked bag was lost and he hunted in what he wore on the trip over, fortunately he had a few extra clothes in his carry-on and I was able to front him a few items. Laugh and learn, gym clothes will work.View attachment 609382

454 Casull
5.6x50(R)
8.5x63(R)

Maybe the 375 Flanged instead of the 8.5 to cover evything.

Aw, Tsetse. Often, good buffalo hunting associated with the Fly. I always carry a head net stuffed into a tiny pouch on my belt. The head net and my clothes all treated properly with Permethrin. Deet,and Skin So Soft slow them down a bit. The head net works better over a brimmed hat. I had a crew on one of my Cameroon jaunts that were such aficionados of elephant dung they insisted on using the dung from one special area, claiming it worked far better than elephant poop from just anywhere. Do not feel like you are a wimp wearing a mesh bug jacket. Tsetse love a moving vehicle in tall grass, I keep a Wildebeast tail whisk handy in the lorry. It even has a beaded handle. None of this works but does slow them down. In the evening my wife prefers Benadryl Cream to sooth the bites And I like Cortizone 10.
Remember good Mbogo hunting in Fly Country. that helps

Image1717010418.530548.jpg

This is the Boddington Safari shirt from Schnee’s. It is a high quality shirt of the appropriate weight.

Bush shirt from Calebs is my favorite, but I don't believe they make them anymore. The Expedition shirt from Westley Richards are the nicest, I love mine, but they are heavy, hot and expensive.

Lots of the Cabela’s shirts on eBay. Some are like new. I have a lifetime’s worth!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoover

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!