Good African Safari Shirt?

Chevalier Kenya Safari

1717013521299.png

And in SA I bought several "Urban Sniper" short sleeve shirts, very cheap and very good quality. Had to spend som minutes with a sharp knife to remove a rather ugly logo-patch.

Last edited:
I have them, but really don't like the synthetic material, almost a imy feel.
@Kevin Peacocke - agree, don’t care for those light nylon shirts as it rips easier or if it’s thicker nylon - it’s a bit hot. I find nylon shirts are ok for fishing off a boat but not much else…just my “picky” opinion. Lastly regarding SPF rating - I don’t understand it?? Is it because those SPF shirts have some “magic fabric” or is it just that ALL shirts offer some level of SPF protection and some manufacturerers bothered to get theirs “rated”. You can see that any Old Farmer has a “Farmer’s Tan” and you can bet his shirts were nothing special.

I can’t imagine wearing a shirt that a tsetse can’t bite through! Aluminum might work, but might be a bit lacking in comfort.

I must be odd, tsetse’s don’t really bother me that much. I actually enjoy catching them and crushing the little buggers.

Thanks for all the great feedback and information. I’ll probably go with the tag safari sheet. The price for the WR shirts is more than I would like to spend. I already have all my hunting gear and clothes just need something for the flies.

@Kevin Peacocke - agree, don’t care for those light nylon shirts as it rips easier or if it’s thicker nylon - it’s a bit hot. I find nylon shirts are ok for fishing off a boat but not much else…just my “picky” opinion. Lastly regarding SPF rating - I don’t understand it?? Is it because those SPF shirts have some “magic fabric” or is it just that ALL shirts offer some level of SPF protection and some manufacturerers bothered to get theirs “rated”. You can see that any Old Farmer has a “Farmer’s Tan” and you can bet his shirts were nothing special.
SPF on shirts probably has to do with a coating, but obvious it would soon wash off. I have never been sunburned through any ordinary shirt.

I wear the cheap pearl snap western shirts nearly every day. A lot of mine are worn pretty thin. Late in the summer I get a tan line on my back from the double layered back yoke. It is faint, but noticeable, and nothing compared to my exposed arms and neck.
I suppose there could be something to a shirt that carries an spf rating.

I wear the cheap pearl snap western shirts nearly every day. A lot of mine are worn pretty thin. Late in the summer I get a tan line on my back from the double layered back yoke. It is faint, but noticeable, and nothing compared to my exposed arms and neck.
@Wyatt Smith - sounds like You and I could be voted “worst dressed”…my Wife hates my “weekend attire” (that I also wear Monday thru Friday)… But what’s more convenient than Snaps compared to buttons and a nice cheap shirt from Tractor Supply….spend the $$ on hunting !!

Sounds like me. I have worn Roundhouse overalls for around 13 years except when FRs have been required. I wear old t shirts for work and they get pretty thread bare before I replace them. Long story short, I have overall shaped tan lines on my back haha

Sounds like me. I have worn Roundhouse overalls for around 13 years except when FRs have been required. I wear old t shirts for work and they get pretty thread bare before I replace them. Long story short, I have overall shaped tan lines on my back haha
@Wishfulthinker580 - do you ever wash those “old T shirts…threadbare etc.”? If so - STOP doing that: 1). Washing breaks down fabric and the clothing wears out faster - especially cotton. 2). You can NOT be included in the “Worst Dressed” Club if you wear Clean Clothes !!

@Wishfulthinker580 - do you ever wash those “old T shirts…threadbare etc.”? If so - STOP doing that: 1). Washing breaks down fabric and the clothing wears out faster - especially cotton. 2). You can NOT be included in the “Worst Dressed” Club if you wear Clean Clothes !!
Well all my work clothes are so oil stained you can’t tell the difference lol

If you make it by a Safari Outdoor, the ZA brand Jonsson makes a pretty good shirt at a very reasonable price.

Definitely, I have two of them, olive.

The 511 brand also has some great cotton tactical pants that are super comfortable and have all the pockets to keep a gear junkie like me happy.
I picked up a ton of these in khaki and olive when I was doing contract work in Iraq and Afghanistan… several are still in the “hunting closet” and get used routinely…

Tough durable shirts that are fairly comfortable…

A handful of the ones I’m still wearing (albeit a bit ragged these days) are literally 20 years old, and got worn several times a week for the first few years after I got them (picked them up when I went over in May 2004 for a particular contract I was on)…

@Wyatt Smith - sounds like You and I could be voted “worst dressed”…my Wife hates my “weekend attire” (that I also wear Monday thru Friday)… But what’s more convenient than Snaps compared to buttons and a nice cheap shirt from Tractor Supply….spend the $$ on hunting !!
Man, I have both of you beat. I usually go to Goodwill and buy heavy shirts there and leave them with the staff. They love them. Next time over I think I am going to buy some coveralls from oilfield servicing companies or mechanic’s supply. :)

Then again, here I am in a smashing Ralph Lauren seersucker number in woodland camouflage. :) One of my favorites. . I never have paid attention to the no military camo patterns while in the field. Have never hunted fly country.

IMG_7520.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The old Cabelas "Safari" clothing line were some of the best available. But, they were discontinued some time ago. I prefer knit, synthetic shirts for hunting and general attire but for Safari decided to break over and get some cotton button down items. I went to Ebay and found three of the Cabelas shirts in my size in Khaki, Olive Green and a rust brown color. The quality is stunning and I am sure that they cost a bundle when new. I also have a trio of Orvis shirts in all cotton. One is a polo style golf shirt in sea green, for travel days and another is a button up short sleeved number also in medium green. The last one is a long sleeved button down in dark olive green. It is quite heavy and might be too warm for hot days. All the Orvis shirts are made in USA which is rare these days and those are still made with MSRP of $90/ea. Nothing in my ebay hunting wardrobe was over $15 and most looked like new. My usual plan is to wear a camo tee shirt under the long sleeved button down shirt with a cotton hunting vest over that. For very cold mornings I have a Kenya East hunting coat that can do the job. It was also an Ebay special.

Apparently lots of older American men decide to go hunt Africa once or twice before they croak and when they do, Granny sells all their sheeit on ebay, lol. Most of it looks like it was never worn.

The old Cabelas "Safari" clothing line were some of the best available. But, they were discontinued some time ago. I prefer knit, synthetic shirts for hunting and general attire but for Safari decided to break over and get some cotton button down items. I went to Ebay and found three of the Cabelas shirts in my size in Khaki, Olive Green and a rust brown color. The quality is stunning and I am sure that they cost a bundle when new. I also have a trio of Orvis shirts in all cotton. One is a polo style golf shirt in sea green, for travel days and another is a button up short sleeved number also in medium green. The last one is a long sleeved button down in dark olive green. It is quite heavy and might be too warm for hot days. All the Orvis shirts are made in USA which is rare these days and those are still made with MSRP of $90/ea. Nothing in my ebay hunting wardrobe was over $15 and most looked like new. My usual plan is to wear a camo tee shirt under the long sleeved button down shirt with a cotton hunting vest over that. For very cold mornings I have a Kenya East hunting coat that can do the job. It was also an Ebay special.

Apparently lots of older American men decide to go hunt Africa once or twice before they croak and when they do, Granny sells all their sheeit on ebay, lol. Most of it looks like it was never worn.
Looks like I will be representing GRS Rifle Stocks next trip over. . There are also a bunch of cool vintage coveralls on eBay as well. May get mistaken for a tracker, but all good.

IMG_7522.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, answers here are like shu-wee-holes, we all have one. BUT, ya don't need the ultra fancy, high dollar statement attire. Just take our fella hunter, checked bag was lost and he hunted in what he wore on the trip over, fortunately he had a few extra clothes in his carry-on and I was able to front him a few items. Laugh and learn, gym clothes will work.View attachment 609382
Love the rainbow shoes!

Hi all,

Really a great question! The old school guys like Ruark, Lyell, and Selous simply had to take it. In "A Hunter's Wanderings in Africa", Selous writes multiple times of nasty tsetse flies giving him and his entourage a heck of a time.

Luckily, we have some modern options that still feature that classic, old school look. I like the thick Westley Richards shirts that provide a good level of protection:

WR Shirt.jpg

A tough everyday PH choice for the savanna and bushveld is a Jonsson shirt (65% polyester, 35% cotton) - stays crisp, is very light (especially enjoyable in the summer), and certainly can handle the bush!

Johnsson Shirt.jpg

What other questions do you guys have about equipment and accessories for your next African hunt? Please feel free to PM me.

Happy hunting - Daniel

Hi all,

Really a great question! The old school guys like Ruark, Lyell, and Selous simply had to take it. In "A Hunter's Wanderings in Africa", Selous writes multiple times of nasty tsetse flies giving him and his entourage a heck of a time.

Luckily, we have some modern options that still feature that classic, old school look. I like the thick Westley Richards shirts that provide a good level of protection:

View attachment 609812

A tough everyday PH choice for the savanna and bushveld is a Jonsson shirt (65% polyester, 35% cotton) - stays crisp, is very light (especially enjoyable in the summer), and certainly can handle the bush!

View attachment 609813

What other questions do you guys have about equipment and accessories for your next African hunt? Please feel free to PM me.

Happy hunting - Daniel
@Kahalanyoni - the shirt looks nice and might be durable but that 65% Polyester fabric is the sign of a cheaply made shirt followed by “Velcro“ closures for the chest pockets. Retailers avoid 100% cotton for only one reason - to save money because adding poly to the fabric reduces cost. While poly fabrics are durable and retain color better after washing - they don’t breath as well and usually don’t dry as fast as cotton poplin or cotton canvas. As far a Velcro on pockets - much cheaper then having to sew in a zipper or button…and when you open that Velcro pocket - the noise is easily heard. I think that shirt might be highly functional and last a long time but it would be much better if made with all cotton and buttons/zippers….I’d be willing to spend more for “quality”…but that’s my just personal preference.

@Huntforever - if you go on Ebay and find an older “used” Cabela’s “Serengeti” shirt BUY IT….they were very well made, tight weave cotton canvas - durable but Not too hot to wear in warm weather (Cabela’s no longer makes them and current shirts are poor/cheap quality. Next best - Tag Safari, very nice light cotton poplin - not as durable as the older “Serengeti” shirts but cool and well made (not sure if they can be “bitten thru”? I don not care for any nylon shirts…just my opinion but I still have and wear “Serengeti” shirts that are 20+ years old - extremely durable, lots of pockets including zippered ones, long sleeved or short sleeved — they are (were) Great !
Completely agree about the Cabelas Serengeti shirts...very well made and comfortable. Mine is 20 years old and it is still in very good shape. I wear it on most of my safaris if I am hunting in long sleeve shirt.

View attachment 609428

This is the Boddington Safari shirt from Schnee’s. It is a high quality shirt of the appropriate weight.
I have the Boddington safari shirt on olive as well. Bought one of the last ones from Schnee's when they were on the closeout rack. They only had one left in my size, wish they had more, great shirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoover

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!