Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, RMEF, DSC, IGFA
Hunted
South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Wyoming, South Africa, Argentina, Tanzania
I am in a bit of a quandary. I have a very large crate waiting in Atlanta to be delivered to my current house in South Carolina, but it is too large and heavy for a standard delivery truck. It is 8'x6'x5' (LxWxH) and almost 700 lbs. Coppersmith currently has it at their warehouse. I tried to delay delivery as much as possible from SA to US until we move to Georgia in April but I will have to take delivery soon. Does anyone have any ideas or knowledge of shippers that can handle such a large crate? Or of a storage facility near Atlanta with climate controlled facilites and doors big enough to bring in a crate this size? I am pondering renting a flat trailer and bringing it home myself but that would be a last resort. And no, I do not know why it was crated in such a large single crate and not in to two smaller crates.

I am also from South Carolina. I sent a friend with my truck and an enclosed trailer for a similar sized box. That doesn’t provide long term storage but at least you could get it home.

I am in a bit of a quandary. I have a very large crate waiting in Atlanta to be delivered to my current house in South Carolina, but it is too large and heavy for a standard delivery truck. It is 8'x6'x5' (LxWxH) and almost 700 lbs. Coppersmith currently has it at their warehouse. I tried to delay delivery as much as possible from SA to US until we move to Georgia in April but I will have to take delivery soon. Does anyone have any ideas or knowledge of shippers that can handle such a large crate? Or of a storage facility near Atlanta with climate controlled facilites and doors big enough to bring in a crate this size? I am pondering renting a flat trailer and bringing it home myself but that would be a last resort. And no, I do not know why it was crated in such a large single crate and not in to two smaller crates.

Im wondering why a standard 15' box truck wouldnt be able to deliver it?

Your typical 15' box delivery truck (which is a medium sized delivery truck) has an enclosed box that exceeds your dimensions by a good amount..

Internal dimensions of the box is usually somewhere around 15' x 8' x 7'...

Rental will be about $30-$50 in ATL.. then they are going to hit you for mileage and time.. but I'd guess you could get the truck needed for $100-$150 depending on how long you need it for..

Coppersmith would load it for you..

The challenge would be unloading it.. Typically I pick up my own crates.. the way I unload them is to disassemble the box in my driveway and take everything out of it piece by piece.. I could likely get your entire box disassembled and everything out of the box and into a climate controlled storage facility in a couple of hours by myself.. if you have 2 people working it.. I'd guess it could be done in an hour..

If you arent able to do all of this yourself, I'd guess there is a moving firm that could provide the labor/manning.. but thats definitely going to cost some money to rent their truck, their crew, and get them to handle a 700lb delivery as a "fragile" container..

Thanks for the quick responses. I really don't want to store the crate in a facility because of rodents and insects that might get in. The delivery driver says my crate is to heavy for the lift gate on the truck and I would need a loading dock and a fork lift to offload it. I ususally unpack the crate in the trailer or on my driveway but I still need to get it home to do that.
I am also from South Carolina. I sent a friend with my truck and an enclosed trailer for a similar sized box. That doesn’t provide long term storage but at least you could get it home.
Did you rent the trailer or own it? I haven't found an enclosed trailer rental big enough for the crate.

If you do store it in a climate controlled storage unit open the crate put moth balls in the crate and probably some rodenticide as well if concerned about vermin. With the moth balls they may not smell very good or go once a month and set off a bug bomb in the crate. I did that with about 50 waterfowl mounts in a storage facility while we were building our house. A dehumidifier might be a good idea in the south even if it’s a climate controlled unit.

Curious has the best of me, what is in such a large crate?

If you do store it in a climate controlled storage unit open the crate put moth balls in the crate and probably some rodenticide as well if concerned about vermin. With the moth balls they may not smell very good or go once a month and set off a bug bomb in the crate. I did that with about 50 waterfowl mounts in a storage facility while we were building our house. A dehumidifier might be a good idea in the south even if it’s a climate controlled unit.

Curious has the best of me, what is in such a large crate?
Contents include: 2 full mount blesbucks, full mount oribi, caracal, serval, jackal and porcupine. Skull mounts of said full mounts plus a zebra skull, plus a couple more blesbucks and commo duiker skulls. Flat skins and back skins and a common reedbuck shoulder mount. I think that's it. the blesbuck mount is probably the driver for the size.

IMG_5655.JPG

I just go pick up at coppersmiths with an enclosed trailer. Does u haul not have a big enough trailer? If not what about a u haul truck?

Where are you moving in Georgia? How long are you going to need to store?

Have you asked what they would charge to store it, or if it’s a possibility?

Really.....I mean Really.... this isn't a massive crate with massive weight.

I don't really know what your situation is, but a create this size is a No Brainer IMO and experience!

The crate should contain moth balls or some sort of alike.

You are moving. Okay. When? An 8x6x5 will fit in a standard size pick up truck. And the Wright...most likely we'll under a quarter ton or 500 pounds.

This time of year, your garage can handle this without renting a storage unit. IF you are already renting a storage unit for your exiting household goods in preparation to move, then rent a second storage unit for additional household goods in prep for your move. IF you can't figure out or your current storage unit isn't big enough to handle this create. OR just upgrade, rent a bigger storage unit.

IMO, THIS IS A NO BRAINER. I don't understand your problem. An 8x6x5 isn't a problem to put into temporary storage and doesn't require a tractor trailer to move.

I moved my create 8x4x4 by myself into storage along with a 3 bedroom house into a 12 x 25 storage unit while waiting to build my house. But that's just me! My attitude! My experience! My economic and personal situation!, and My miltary training!

Really.....I mean Really.... this isn't a massive crate with massive weight.

I don't really know what your situation is, but a create this size is a No Brainer IMO and experience!

The crate should contain moth balls or some sort of alike.

You are moving. Okay. When? An 8x6x5 will fit in a standard size pick up truck. And the Wright...most likely we'll under a quarter ton or 500 pounds.

This time of year, your garage can handle this without renting a storage unit. IF you are already renting a storage unit for your exiting household goods in preparation to move, then rent a second storage unit for additional household goods in prep for your move. IF you can't figure out or your current storage unit isn't big enough to handle this create. OR just upgrade, rent a bigger storage unit.

IMO, THIS IS A NO BRAINER. I don't understand your problem. An 8x6x5 isn't a problem to put into temporary storage and doesn't require a tractor trailer to move.

I moved my create 8x4x4 by myself into storage along with a 3 bedroom house into a 12 x 25 storage unit while waiting to build my house. But that's just me! My attitude! My experience! My economic and personal situation!, and My miltary training!
This crate won't fit in my pickup bed. I have 4 storage units and it's too wide to get through the entry door of every storage place I've checked, most have 42"-48" wide doorway. The crate is 69" wide. Most rentable 6x12 trailers interior width is 64" and height of 61" so it's too big for the largest rental trailers. That's why I decided to get it delivered. The delivery service says the crate is too heavy for the truck lift. I've brought back 3 crates close to this size and almost as heavy so I know how to move them if I have the time and equipment. I could put it into non-climate controlled storage but I don't want to risk the elements and vermin. I already had a storage unit leak water onto my stuff and lost a lot of things. I have the space in my garage for the crate. The no brainer part is finding a delivery service to ship it and offload it or to find a storage facility close to Atlanta that has large enough entry doors to get it into a climate controlled unit. I have too much money invested in this to risk mold, mildew, moths, and rodents. So there you go.

I've picked up crates from Coppersmith in Houston. You can show up with a truck and trailer, or a U-Haul truck, and they will load it for you.

1728388698593.png

1728388725102.png

That isn't really a big or heavy crate. I have had a couple that were bigger and heavier delivered by the shipping company in a standard size box delivery truck. The driver just used the lift gate to get in on my driveway and a pallet jack to put it in my garage. Rent a pallet jack and a UHAUL truck with a lift gate and go get it or have a delivery truck company move it for you.

That crate is not too large for LTL trucks. Now you are likely right that a liftgate may not be an option. Ask Coppersmith to store for you and see what they say.

If you have not already done so, go to Uship.com, set up an account, and put in a request. I just had a large coffee table shipped from South Carolina to Alabama for $300.
I entered your dimensions and weight to my account, and it's showing an estimate of $348 from Atlanta to Pawleys Island.

Last edited:
Thanks to all. The delivery driver Coppersmith first contracted to deliver says the crate is too heavy for the lift gate on the delivery truck. They are looking for an alternative delivery service. I asked about storing it but they can't. They have limited space and this crate is on the larger size. I have no problem moving it myself but I wanted to do it the easy way and get it delivered. If they can't find an alternative I'll have to rent a 15' truck and do it myself. My reason for starting the thread was to see if anyone knew of a storage facility near Atlanta that had big enough doors to get this into a climate controlled unit. I really don't want to unpack it to store uncrated mounts. I can store them at my house in SC and have already made plans. From what I can find online I would need a 7'x14' trailer to load the crate into as a 6'x12' is too narrow inside. I can't find a rental company with the larger trailer.

If you have not already done so, go to Uship.com, set up an account, and put in a request. I just had a large coffee table shipped from South Carolina to Alabama for $300.
I entered your dimensions and weight to my account, and it's showing an estimate of $348 from Atlanta to Pawleys Island.
Thanks for the recommendation. I set up an account but the cheapest estimate I get is $1400

Thank you everyone for the answers and suggestions. I spoke with Coppersmith and they are working it out to get another delivery service.

Thanks for the quick responses. I really don't want to store the crate in a facility because of rodents and insects that might get in. The delivery driver says my crate is to heavy for the lift gate on the truck and I would need a loading dock and a fork lift to offload it. I ususally unpack the crate in the trailer or on my driveway but I still need to get it home to do that.

Did you rent the trailer or own it? I haven't found an enclosed trailer rental big enough for the crate.
Borrowed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanelleF84

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.