Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, RMEF, DSC, IGFA
Hunted
South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Wyoming, South Africa, Argentina, Tanzania
I am in a bit of a quandary. I have a very large crate waiting in Atlanta to be delivered to my current house in South Carolina, but it is too large and heavy for a standard delivery truck. It is 8'x6'x5' (LxWxH) and almost 700 lbs. Coppersmith currently has it at their warehouse. I tried to delay delivery as much as possible from SA to US until we move to Georgia in April but I will have to take delivery soon. Does anyone have any ideas or knowledge of shippers that can handle such a large crate? Or of a storage facility near Atlanta with climate controlled facilites and doors big enough to bring in a crate this size? I am pondering renting a flat trailer and bringing it home myself but that would be a last resort. And no, I do not know why it was crated in such a large single crate and not in to two smaller crates.

I am also from South Carolina. I sent a friend with my truck and an enclosed trailer for a similar sized box. That doesn’t provide long term storage but at least you could get it home.

I am in a bit of a quandary. I have a very large crate waiting in Atlanta to be delivered to my current house in South Carolina, but it is too large and heavy for a standard delivery truck. It is 8'x6'x5' (LxWxH) and almost 700 lbs. Coppersmith currently has it at their warehouse. I tried to delay delivery as much as possible from SA to US until we move to Georgia in April but I will have to take delivery soon. Does anyone have any ideas or knowledge of shippers that can handle such a large crate? Or of a storage facility near Atlanta with climate controlled facilites and doors big enough to bring in a crate this size? I am pondering renting a flat trailer and bringing it home myself but that would be a last resort. And no, I do not know why it was crated in such a large single crate and not in to two smaller crates.

Im wondering why a standard 15' box truck wouldnt be able to deliver it?

Your typical 15' box delivery truck (which is a medium sized delivery truck) has an enclosed box that exceeds your dimensions by a good amount..

Internal dimensions of the box is usually somewhere around 15' x 8' x 7'...

Rental will be about $30-$50 in ATL.. then they are going to hit you for mileage and time.. but I'd guess you could get the truck needed for $100-$150 depending on how long you need it for..

Coppersmith would load it for you..

The challenge would be unloading it.. Typically I pick up my own crates.. the way I unload them is to disassemble the box in my driveway and take everything out of it piece by piece.. I could likely get your entire box disassembled and everything out of the box and into a climate controlled storage facility in a couple of hours by myself.. if you have 2 people working it.. I'd guess it could be done in an hour..

If you arent able to do all of this yourself, I'd guess there is a moving firm that could provide the labor/manning.. but thats definitely going to cost some money to rent their truck, their crew, and get them to handle a 700lb delivery as a "fragile" container..

Thanks for the quick responses. I really don't want to store the crate in a facility because of rodents and insects that might get in. The delivery driver says my crate is to heavy for the lift gate on the truck and I would need a loading dock and a fork lift to offload it. I ususally unpack the crate in the trailer or on my driveway but I still need to get it home to do that.
I am also from South Carolina. I sent a friend with my truck and an enclosed trailer for a similar sized box. That doesn’t provide long term storage but at least you could get it home.
Did you rent the trailer or own it? I haven't found an enclosed trailer rental big enough for the crate.

If you do store it in a climate controlled storage unit open the crate put moth balls in the crate and probably some rodenticide as well if concerned about vermin. With the moth balls they may not smell very good or go once a month and set off a bug bomb in the crate. I did that with about 50 waterfowl mounts in a storage facility while we were building our house. A dehumidifier might be a good idea in the south even if it’s a climate controlled unit.

Curious has the best of me, what is in such a large crate?

If you do store it in a climate controlled storage unit open the crate put moth balls in the crate and probably some rodenticide as well if concerned about vermin. With the moth balls they may not smell very good or go once a month and set off a bug bomb in the crate. I did that with about 50 waterfowl mounts in a storage facility while we were building our house. A dehumidifier might be a good idea in the south even if it’s a climate controlled unit.

Curious has the best of me, what is in such a large crate?
Contents include: 2 full mount blesbucks, full mount oribi, caracal, serval, jackal and porcupine. Skull mounts of said full mounts plus a zebra skull, plus a couple more blesbucks and commo duiker skulls. Flat skins and back skins and a common reedbuck shoulder mount. I think that's it. the blesbuck mount is probably the driver for the size.

IMG_5655.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
britishproofreading

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.