For your entertainment: Czech dis-mount

T/C

AH member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Two months ago I came across a good, barely used CZ ZKK 602 in .375 H&H, great price, in a gunshop. Older Meopta fixed magnification glass with military reticle on strange high peep-through mounts (can use open sights thru them).
"Out of an estate, the gentleman did not hunt with it, very little shots made."
Price was REALLY right, bought it.

Went to the range with it for sighting in, and shot it seated from the bench, no hard contact, just hand between forend and bag, and shoulder.
After five shots, the group opened up and I was a little confused. It was kicking uncomfortably due to seated position, and I thought maybe I flinched too much. Took a break, continued shooting, groups worsened. After one pack of ammo, the Czech dis-mount materialised :
IMG_1896.jpeg

At least the gunshop didn't lie, the former owner did not shoot much with this combo :)

The ZKK now wears a Recknagel-style Rusan mount, and a Zeiss with rail. Hope it stays on ;)

The scope mount that came adrift was not an original setup but was some one-off bastardisation. The ZKK has the dovetails on the front and rear of the action and they provides a very solid arrangement. Typically users will use either the Warne or Alaska arms QD mounts designed for the action, which work perfectly.

Gunsmithing by Rube Goldberg.
a-bulb.gif

Thanks for your recommendations!
Yes, the aftermarket mounting block for the forward claw mount looked strange, but not suspiciously unprofessional. Blueing ok, no soldering defects visible.
The dovetail QD mounts are great when sturdy and repeatable. An acquaintance of mine is rebuilding a ZKK 602 in .416 Rigby at the moment, and wants to use the Alaska Arms QD mounts; he also highly recommended them.
I had Rusan sidemounts built, and the solderings stains polished off and reblued.
The Rusan are Croatian quite high quality copies of ERA/Recknagel, and good value for the price. They get quite popular in Europe these days. Let's see if they hold zero properly, I've yet to get to the range with the new mounts. Glass is Zeiss Diavari M 2,5-10 T* now, instead of the old fixed magnification Meopta
(which had military style mansize distance hashmarks in the reticle).
IMG_2705.jpeg

Reactions: T/C
Are you satisfied with it?
I can use open sightline ok with dismounted glass, but the sight picture is not ideal.
Unfortunately, the genius gunsmith who did the original work also milled through the back dovetail, leaving a big gap across at least half of it; otherwise I would have used QD mounts.
The back base of the Rusan seems solid though despite the gap in the dovetail below it.

Are you satisfied with it?
I am shooting for training, or hunt for 2 years by now, up to 200 shots so far, estimated.
Yes, very satisfied.
My set up is: Rusan swing mounts, and rusan magnum rings (6 screws on front ring). Made of steel.
Swarovski Z6, 1.7-10x42, illuminated.

Rusan in my area is very popular brand, and considered high quality. Significantly cheaper then, say AEW, but this is due to cheaper labor and production costs in his workhop..

For my rifle, gunsmith made:
Fitting the mounts.
The base of mounts covered the rear and front sight.
So, he fabricated a steel doubler to raise rear sight, then we went on the range, and we were shooting to zero, by changing the front sight, till we found proper one.
You can see below how they align with iron sights after installation.

1 Rear sight.jpg
2 front sight.jpg
3 swing mount base close up.jpg
4 rear sight over the scope bases.jpg
5 scope being installed half way.jpg
6 scope installed.jpg

Thank you for your explanation and photos!
This looks like a practical workaround for the Rusan mounts; I will consider this if finding problems with the open sighted shooting!
And a very nice Swarovski glass!!! :)

Thanks for your recommendations!
Yes, the aftermarket mounting block for the forward claw mount looked strange, but not suspiciously unprofessional. Blueing ok, no soldering defects visible.
The dovetail QD mounts are great when sturdy and repeatable. An acquaintance of mine is rebuilding a ZKK 602 in .416 Rigby at the moment, and wants to use the Alaska Arms QD mounts; he also highly recommended them.
I had Rusan sidemounts built, and the solderings stains polished off and reblued.
The Rusan are Croatian quite high quality copies of ERA/Recknagel, and good value for the price. They get quite popular in Europe these days. Let's see if they hold zero properly, I've yet to get to the range with the new mounts. Glass is Zeiss Diavari M 2,5-10 T* now, instead of the old fixed magnification Meopta
(which had military style mansize distance hashmarks in the reticle).
View attachment 621062
Looks nice but ... that scope appears to be set back significantly. Do you require a long LOP? Also, a scope sitting that high is not going to acquire quickly, especially on higher magnification.

I will consider this if finding problems with the open sighted shooting!
I see your rifle is similar to mine. Newer version, no crossbolts.
This means barrel is probably not free floated.

So, my next project would be to ask gunsmith to fit me crossbolts on action, then
to remove the front screw holding the barrel to stock, free float the barrel, and fit the barrel bend sling swivel.
I managed to get safety and trigger from AHR, and will install this as well.

I see your rifle is similar to mine. Newer version, no crossbolts.
This means barrel is probably not free floated.

So, my next project would be to ask gunsmith to fit me crossbolts on action, then
to remove the front screw holding the barrel to stock, free float the barrel, and fit the barrel bend sling swivel.
I managed to get safety and trigger from AHR, and will install this as well.
Internal crossbolts (a la Weatherby) may be an option. Something you can do yourself (Google it). I have done it. Glass bedding and free floating the barrel is also not rocket science. Barrel band sling swivel would require soldering and rebluing. A lot of money for cosmetics of limited to no added functionality. My opinion. :D

I have had one of the fixed Meopta scopes with 4A reticle and I have a variable 3-12 with such I like it much .

Looks nice but ... that scope appears to be set back significantly. Do you require a long LOP? Also, a scope sitting that high is not going to acquire quickly, especially on higher magnification.
The gunsmith put the scope on guesstimate, will open the rings and readjust if necessary. I will have to play with the rifle to get the hang of it; if I cannot get it working to satisfaction for me ergonomically, I'll have it changed, or rebuild the mount if necessary.
Would love to try out the mentioned QD mounts, they should be a little lower. Question is export to Europe. Will contact Alaska Arms to find out.
The stock crossbolts and trigger is another issue that needs work I guess, safety I can live with. It's like cocking an external hammer (and I shot a lot of Thompson/Centers in the past). But a friend of mine split three stocks on his .376 Steyr. Would want to avoid that..

I have had one of the fixed Meopta scopes with 4A reticle and I have a variable 3-12 with such I like it much .
Have a new variable Meopta on a 7mmRM which is a good scope and very good value for the money. But the old fixed 8x(50?) on a multipurpose .375 was a no-go for me.
It wasn't 4A (which I know and like), it was fine crosshairs (a pain in lowlight) and the set of different height hashmarks for soldier height/distance quick estimate to on lower right of the reticle. Never saw this Meopta before, I think old Czech(oslovak) military issue.
And the rifle decided for itself anyway :LOL:

Last edited:
Internal crossbolts (a la Weatherby) may be an option. Something you can do yourself (Google it).
Pls send me some more details, on PM. Links, photos, drawing. I tried google search, not found anything.

The gunsmith put the scope on guesstimate, will open the rings and readjust if necessary. I will have to play with the rifle to get the hang of it; if I cannot get it working to satisfaction for me ergonomically, I'll have it changed, or rebuild the mount if necessary.
Would love to try out the mentioned QD mounts, they should be a little lower. Question is export to Europe. Will contact Alaska Arms to find out.
The stock crossbolts and trigger is another issue that needs work I guess, safety I can live with. It's like cocking an external hammer (and I shot a lot of Thompson/Centers in the past). But a friend of mine split three stocks on his .376 Steyr. Would want to avoid that..
I have Warne QD rings on both my Springfield 03A3 and Czech 98 Mauser. They are strong steel and hold zero every time. Also fairly affordable. Usually around $80 US but I did recently pick up a set of new 30mm on sale for $65. And bought previous 1" set used like new from eBay for fifty bucks. They were missing cross braces but Warne sent me three at no cost. I chose "low" rings for fast acquisition. Also, for heavy recoil thumper guns it's important to be down on the gun as much as possible to reduce recoil. If/when you shoot that high scoped 375 off the bench, you better hang onto it! Expect it to jump in your face.

Here's the Mauser 404 J with very low 1-piece base and Warne rings. It acquires instantly scope or iron sights. Recoil even on the bench is relatively tolerable.
20240420_112851.jpg

Pls send me some more details, on PM. Links, photos, drawing. I tried google search, not found anything.
Here's Larry Potterfield's video for installing crossbolts. He does show a Weatherby stock but not how to do it.

And here's a description of the process from another site.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot!
The one-piece QD base is also Warne? Looks great!
I will make sure the glass doesn't bite me :)
Thanks for the vid/description also!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BenitoMurn

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg