Flying BA YVR-CPT through Heathrow

ConfusedSACAN

Reaction score
Hi all,

Brand new here, been reading a ton of posts trying to find an answer. None of the airlines or Canadian border officials I contacted could give me a clear answer.

I have:

200 empty, unloaded brass 6.5 cases.
1 5-round magazine for these, that I bought before the PAL requirement

My question is, can I fly with these in my checked baggage? Do I need to get an export permit? I do not have a PAL, I bought these legally without and my plan is to go visit my family on the farm, load some rounds with my brother, shoot at his range, and leave the rest and the magazine for him since he has the 6.5 creed gun.

Are these considered as live ammunition and/or a firearm? Everyone seems to freak out at the mention of the word 'gun' or 'ammo', they do not listen any further than it's all legally acquired without any licenses...

Any pointers? My flight is BA, I have enough baggage allowance, a 8hr layover in Heathrow, and not flying anywhere else in SA after landing in Cape Town. Will not be leaving Heathrow either.

Thanks in advance!

It seems like there are a number of different questions here.

1. Can you take these out of Canada without any issue?
2. Will the airline have any issue transporting these? I assume that your checked bag will go straight through and will not be collected at London Heathrow and be re checked.
3. on arrival in Cape Town are cartridge cases or a rifle magazine considered controlled items.

Im assuming that the empty cases are not primed and that the magazine is for a bolt action rifle. If these assumptions are not correct I would not consider carrying them.

If I was taking these out of the US to the UK, a route I travel often, I would just throw them in my checked luggage and not mention anything at check in with the airline and would not declare them to UK customs as they are personal use items that are not controlled by the airline policy or by UK firearm legislation.

i cannot comment on the leaving Canada question other than to say these are personal items and you are not selling them or acting in a commercial capacity.

The big question is are these items controlled in any way in South Africa?

Maybe also a relevant point is do you hold a South African passport ? Are you effectively returning to the family home or are you a Canadian visiting South Africa. I have dual citizenship and 2 passports, in some ways it makes it possible to hold licenses / permits in both countries and makes transport of controlled items, firearms and ammunition much easier in both directions.

Good luck with your travels.

Last edited:
It seems like there are a number of different questions here.

1. Can you take these out of Canada without any issue?
2. Will the airline have any issue transporting these? I assume that your checked bag will go straight through and will not be collected at London Heathrow and be re checked.
3. on arrival in Cape Town are cartridge cases or a rifle magazine considered controlled items.

Im assuming that the empty cases are not primed and that the magazine is for a bolt action rifle. If these assumptions are not correct I would not consider carrying them.

If I was taking these out of the US to the UK, a route I travel often, I would just throw them in my checked luggage and not mention anything at check in with the airline and would not declare them to UK customs as they are personal use items that are not controlled by the airline policy or by UK firearm legislation.

i cannot comment on the leaving Canada question other than to say these are personal items and you are not selling them or acting in a commercial capacity.

The big question is are these items controlled in any way in South Africa?

Maybe also a relevant point is do you hold a South African passport ? Are you effectively returning to the family home or are you a Canadian visiting South Africa. I have dual citizenship and 2 passports, in some ways it makes it possible to hold licenses / permits in both countries and makes transport of controlled items, firearms and ammunition much easier in both directions.

Good luck with your travels.
The cases are empty brass, for a 6.5 Creedmore bolt action. My brother has all the other supplies for reloading back on the farm in South Africa.

My bags are checking straight through from YVR to CPT yes, and based on what the second poster linked it seems I am good to go regarding the brass!

I do have dual citizenship for SA and CA, grew up in the Western Cape. Crazy that none of the officials I contacted in Canada could point me to the natural resources site, and my google skills are apparently lacking.

Now to just figure out the magazine thing, since regulation changed on buying them recently (need a PAL to buy now).

You can export empty brass cases from Canada with no requirement, see attached

It looks like empty brass cases are uncontrolled in South Africa

Thank you!!! That puts my mind half at ease!

https://www.nexcol-nceel.canada.ca/en/Home-Accueil

Guidance - Sort of
https://www.international.gc.ca/controls-controles/firearms_armes_a_feu/index.aspx?lang=eng

Screenshot 2024-07-29 at 20.09.29.png

Hi all,

Update from the RCMP themselves regarding the magazine:

The Firearms Act does not regulate the import/export of firearm parts other than the frame / receiver (which legally qualifies as a firearm by itself) or firearm parts that are classified as prohibited devices, including handgun barrels that are 105 mm or less in length or parts made exclusively for a fully automatic firearm.

You should contact the Canada Border Services Agency at 1-800-461-9999 for information regarding exporting firearm parts that are not regulated under the Firearms Act.
I will give the CBSA another call just to double-confirm. Seems I might not have anything to worry about!

So flew out with a MDT HNT26 chassis, brass, the magazine, some trigger sets, and a decapping die. All the airline was worried about was that, the brass looks like ammo so "it's ammo" and the chassis looks like a weapon "so it's a weapon"... So in the end they were checked in as such, the brass in a separate (locked) case and the chassis and everything else in the checked bag. The CATSA lady that actually did the X-ray of the bag and case just rolled her eyes as she heard this haha. Oh well. They didn't even look at the magazine. About to land in Cape Town.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3chunter

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!