Flying BA YVR-CPT through Heathrow

ConfusedSACAN

Reaction score
Hi all,

Brand new here, been reading a ton of posts trying to find an answer. None of the airlines or Canadian border officials I contacted could give me a clear answer.

I have:

200 empty, unloaded brass 6.5 cases.
1 5-round magazine for these, that I bought before the PAL requirement

My question is, can I fly with these in my checked baggage? Do I need to get an export permit? I do not have a PAL, I bought these legally without and my plan is to go visit my family on the farm, load some rounds with my brother, shoot at his range, and leave the rest and the magazine for him since he has the 6.5 creed gun.

Are these considered as live ammunition and/or a firearm? Everyone seems to freak out at the mention of the word 'gun' or 'ammo', they do not listen any further than it's all legally acquired without any licenses...

Any pointers? My flight is BA, I have enough baggage allowance, a 8hr layover in Heathrow, and not flying anywhere else in SA after landing in Cape Town. Will not be leaving Heathrow either.

Thanks in advance!

It seems like there are a number of different questions here.

1. Can you take these out of Canada without any issue?
2. Will the airline have any issue transporting these? I assume that your checked bag will go straight through and will not be collected at London Heathrow and be re checked.
3. on arrival in Cape Town are cartridge cases or a rifle magazine considered controlled items.

Im assuming that the empty cases are not primed and that the magazine is for a bolt action rifle. If these assumptions are not correct I would not consider carrying them.

If I was taking these out of the US to the UK, a route I travel often, I would just throw them in my checked luggage and not mention anything at check in with the airline and would not declare them to UK customs as they are personal use items that are not controlled by the airline policy or by UK firearm legislation.

i cannot comment on the leaving Canada question other than to say these are personal items and you are not selling them or acting in a commercial capacity.

The big question is are these items controlled in any way in South Africa?

Maybe also a relevant point is do you hold a South African passport ? Are you effectively returning to the family home or are you a Canadian visiting South Africa. I have dual citizenship and 2 passports, in some ways it makes it possible to hold licenses / permits in both countries and makes transport of controlled items, firearms and ammunition much easier in both directions.

Good luck with your travels.

Last edited:
It seems like there are a number of different questions here.

1. Can you take these out of Canada without any issue?
2. Will the airline have any issue transporting these? I assume that your checked bag will go straight through and will not be collected at London Heathrow and be re checked.
3. on arrival in Cape Town are cartridge cases or a rifle magazine considered controlled items.

Im assuming that the empty cases are not primed and that the magazine is for a bolt action rifle. If these assumptions are not correct I would not consider carrying them.

If I was taking these out of the US to the UK, a route I travel often, I would just throw them in my checked luggage and not mention anything at check in with the airline and would not declare them to UK customs as they are personal use items that are not controlled by the airline policy or by UK firearm legislation.

i cannot comment on the leaving Canada question other than to say these are personal items and you are not selling them or acting in a commercial capacity.

The big question is are these items controlled in any way in South Africa?

Maybe also a relevant point is do you hold a South African passport ? Are you effectively returning to the family home or are you a Canadian visiting South Africa. I have dual citizenship and 2 passports, in some ways it makes it possible to hold licenses / permits in both countries and makes transport of controlled items, firearms and ammunition much easier in both directions.

Good luck with your travels.
The cases are empty brass, for a 6.5 Creedmore bolt action. My brother has all the other supplies for reloading back on the farm in South Africa.

My bags are checking straight through from YVR to CPT yes, and based on what the second poster linked it seems I am good to go regarding the brass!

I do have dual citizenship for SA and CA, grew up in the Western Cape. Crazy that none of the officials I contacted in Canada could point me to the natural resources site, and my google skills are apparently lacking.

Now to just figure out the magazine thing, since regulation changed on buying them recently (need a PAL to buy now).

You can export empty brass cases from Canada with no requirement, see attached

It looks like empty brass cases are uncontrolled in South Africa

Thank you!!! That puts my mind half at ease!

https://www.nexcol-nceel.canada.ca/en/Home-Accueil

Guidance - Sort of
https://www.international.gc.ca/controls-controles/firearms_armes_a_feu/index.aspx?lang=eng

Screenshot 2024-07-29 at 20.09.29.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucretiaWo

Latest profile posts

Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?
gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.