Fixed Magazine vs Detachable Magazine

Try a benelli lupo, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. I prefer the wood model. They are really accurate, lots of features and an incredible trigger right out of the box. The crio barrel is as good as a barrel gets, but for all I know the barrels of benelli, franchi, Tikka, and sako rifles alll come off the same machine. The Lupo is a departure from the norm much like the r8 blaser, you either love ‘em’ or hate em’

Thanks for all the opinions and experiences about fixed vs detachable magazines. in full disclosure, I have a couple of rifles built on 98 Mauser actions and a couple of fixed magazine Rugers and Remingtons but lately I’ve been hunting with a Tikka 7mm magnum that I like a lot. Most of my hunts are for deer or antelope and I’m not far from resources where I could find a spare magazine if I needed one. I’ve been going through the thought process that if I had the opportunity to go on a destination hunt, which rifle would I take. I believe in Murphy Law and the detachable magazine seems like just One more thing to remember, so I’ve decided to go the fixed route. I’ve just purchased a Browning A-bolt in 300 Winchester. I’ve never owned an A-bolt but have friends that use them. They seem like a fine rifle. I’m aware that the magazine can be removed from this rifle but I plan to use it as a fixed magazine rifle. If I need to make a quick magazine change I either screwed up or am in the wrong place. It’s been shipped and hopefully I’ll have it by the end of the week. I’ve owned a 300 win in the past so I have brass, bullets and dies so hopefully will be able to shoot it next week. Again, thanks for the discussion. It’s helped me make a decision and hopefully will help others on the forum.

I’m looking for opinions Based on your experiences of using rifles with fixed magazines vs detachable magazines for hunting. I’m looking at adding a 300 Winchester to my hunting rifles. I Have hunted with fixed magazine rifles most of my life but recently (last 10 or 12 years) have started liking Tikka rifles. I have gone on several hunts and so far haven’t had any problems with the magazines. I always carry a spare magazine in my hunting vest in case I lose a magazine but so far that hasn’t happened.

I’m looking at Tikkas, Benelli Lupos, Franchi Momentems and Weatherby Vanguards in 300 Win and am leaning towards fixed magazines with the thoughts of “that’s just one thing less thing that could go wrong”. Thanks for your thoughts.
@DG870
I use both but have a preference for fixed mags after losing a detachable mag ONCE. This was my fault not a fault of the rifle or design. It was in my pocket when I sat down it fell out and I didn't realise until I went to put it in the rifle. Fortunately I was able to go back and pick it up.
Both have advantages and disadvantages. Some detachable maps can get a bit loose after a lot of use and rattle a bit.
The choice is personal.
Bob

One more thing to lose or misplace/forget. I’ve never been in a gunfight with a mule deer where rapid mag changes were paramount.
I’m a firm believer of mr. Murphy, I think the bastard follows me around so I idiot proof most of my kit
@Bullthrower338
Cody, Murphy is alive and well in Australia as well mate. He must have emigrated. If he didn't his bloody relatives did.
Bob

Fixed or detachable…..in quality firearms both systems work well. Get whichever suits your style.

I’ve run Sako 75’s and 85’s for years and never had an issue with either fixed or detachable models. Before that I was a Remington fan and used 700’s with fixed magazines for almost 2 decades without any problems.

Now I mainly use either a Blaser R8 or a Rigby. I’d hunt anything with either.

The R8 , at the flick of a button, can be turned into a fixed magazine rifle. I’ve never used the function.

My son uses a T3 in 308. It’s hunted hard, seriously hard and used almost daily, for nearly a decade. Never been an issue with the rifle or magazine.

As far as stories about leaving magazines at home…..well I’ve heard plenty of stories about people leaving bolts at home. Believe it or not I’ve even been told of people leaving their beer behind. Almost unbelievable :rolleyes::X3:

If you get a T3 you’ll have a great rifle.
@R eight
Leaving the bolt or mag at home is forgivable. Hell even leaving the ammo or whole rifle at home is forgivable.
BUT LEAVING THE BEER AT HOME IS PUNISHABLE BY DEATH. Beer falls into a food category but NO food falls into the beer category.
Bob

The original Browning A-Bolt system is pretty nice...Mag slides into the bottom metal and closes flush, as opposed to the box hanging below the stock. Many friends use 'em.
@C.W. Richter
The Browning system offers the best of both worlds. A great design.
Bob

LEAVING THE BEER AT HOME IS PUNISHABLE BY DEATH. Beer falls into a food category but NO food falls into the beer category.
Bob

Death may be a bit extreme, but leaving the beer at home is 'alcohol neglect'.

Leaving it out in the hot sun is alcohol abuse.

A Murphy built automobile:
Oops 01.jpg

Death may be a bit extreme, but leaving the beer at home is 'alcohol neglect'.

Leaving it out in the hot sun is alcohol abuse.

A Murphy built automobile:
View attachment 557298
@Brian Rothhammer
Aussie joke
Father comes out of wedding screaming the weddings off.
The bride has been raped and the beer has been stolen.
5 minutes later father comes back out and calmly says the weddings back on
The bastard returned the beer so all is fine.
Yeah I know not politically correct but I'm not in politics.
Bob

@Brian Rothhammer
Aussie joke
Father comes out of wedding screaming the weddings off.
The bride has been raped and the beer has been stolen.
5 minutes later father comes back out and calmly says the weddings back on
The bastard returned the beer so all is fine.
Yeah I know not politically correct but I'm not in politics.
Bob

Kangaroo Box.jpg

Reading through this thread from the start, should we consider Herr Schoenauer's wonderful rotary magazine as 'fixed' or as 'detachable'?

Not referring to the latter day plastic Steyr 'Mannlicher' mag, but the finely machined steel of the true Mannlicher Schoenauer (1900 - 1972).

It loads five cartridges smoothly from the top (with 'strippers' on early models), is readily removable, but it's fair to say that to have one 'detach' or open unintentionally is quite impossible.

They feed flawlessly (when loaded with proper fitting cartridges), are flush to the stock, ammo can only 'fall out' with a very deliberate press of release button atop the rail which ejects them neatly.

The MS is controlled feed, properly balanced, aims like a magic wand.

MS Schoenauer.jpg
MS Schoenauer Magazine.jpg

Otto Schoenauer, Schoenauer magazine

MS Phantom View MC.jpg

MS magazine unload.png

Eject.

Last edited:
I have no issue with a removable mag, but one thing to be aware of with the Tikka.

It's single stack, so no top loading. That was my only complaint with my old M695.

It's a pita in the field to drop the mag and top off, especially if it's cold and you're wearing gloves. Even more especially if you make ready, the animal buggers off before you can shoot and you then have to eject and catch the unfired round, drop the mag, juggle round, rifle and mag whilst you close the bolt and slot the cartridge back into the mag, then mag into rifle.

With a double stack you can just ease the cartridge out the chamber till it snaps out of the extractor and prod it back into the mag when it's sitting loose in the action. Way, way easier.

Plus you only get 3 rounds if you want it to seat flush with the bottom of the stock with the Tikka. And it's plastic.

I would go (in order of preference):
Removable, flush fit double stack (all the advantages, plenty of flush fit capacity, none of the hassle)
Fixed floor plate
Flush fit single stack box.
Non flush fit single stack box.

That's why my preference is more Sako 85 than Tikka T3.

Just my opinion though.
@Alistair
That's what I love about some of the Savage rifles. The mag has the best of both worlds. Double stack and center feed in both fixed blind mag and detachable mag.
Bob

I converted my 700 in 30-06 to take AICS mags. I love it. Much easier to load/unload and keeping a spare mag is a lot easier than loose rounds or in a wallet carrier or something.

I also couldn't imagine leaving my mags at home or whatever. You're going hunting, check your gear. That would be like leaving without shoes on or something.

I've carried a pistol everyday for almost 20 years, never forgot, lost or had the mag fall out in a bad situation.

Cheers

I guess it depends on how the gun is set up. If a scope is attached, then charging the magazine requires reaching around scope and getting the cartridge in line with magazine before depressing it into magazine. Too far forward and it sits in the magazine cockeyed = jam when closing the bolt as bolt face catches on side of cartridge instead of behind rim. To ensure the shell is loaded correctly, the shooter must look into the chamber over/around the scope. I can simply drop the shell into the chamber either without looking or only momentarily looking. Again, this no-eyes-needed option for lightning quick loading an empty rifle is almost essential when dealing with dangerous game, especially dangerous game carrying loaded guns.
@Ontario Hunter
I have never had the need to top off a rifle when shooting game. Admittedly I have never shot DG but if I went thru a whole mag of ammo snd had to reload to finish the game off I think I would have to learn to shoot better or in worst case scenario put my head between my legs and kiss my arse goodbye.
Trying to reload during a charge ain't something I would like to have to do.
Bob

@R eight
Leaving the bolt or mag at home is forgivable. Hell even leaving the ammo or whole rifle at home is forgivable.
BUT LEAVING THE BEER AT HOME IS PUNISHABLE BY DEATH. Beer falls into a food category but NO food falls into the beer category.
Bob
The four items that are not available in the bush/forest and you must pack with you are water, t.p., lighter and beer. Not necessarily in that order. LOL

Last edited:
@Ontario Hunter
I have never had the need to top off a rifle when shooting game. Admittedly I have never shot DG but if I went thru a whole mag of ammo snd had to reload to finish the game off I think I would have to learn to shoot better or in worst case scenario put my head between my legs and kiss my arse goodbye.
Trying to reload during a charge ain't something I would like to have to do.
Bob
Exactly. If the gun only holds three in the box and hunter is after killer species, then there is a measure of considerable comfort knowing that extra fourth round is available without reloading. Again, I'll hunt with nothing in the chamber and three in the magazine, but for the final stalk I want four shots available. I agree, in most cases if a repeating rifle gets emptied and the animal is still moving, something went wrong behind the muzzle. Either it's the wrong gun or the wrong guy shooting it. For dangerous game I also want to be able to quickly drop a round in the chamber for a fifth shot ( = snap over controlled feed) in the EXTREMELY unlikely event the gun is emptied totally of maximum four shot capacity and buffalo is still coming. Hmmm. Does bear spray work on charging buffalo? Might be better than trying to reload. Any volunteers to test this?

Last edited:
I know more guys that have lost their hunting rifle magazine than they’ll admit. Not many are designed for a fast reload—if I had to guess I’d say they were probably designed for manufacturing expediency.
It’s convenient for having an unloaded rifle in camp/truck/four wheeler/horseback. Also for cleaning.
That said, I prefer a fixed mag.

In my misspent youth it was not uncommon to get onto a mob of pigs, then a 10 or 20 round mag you could just drop and stick a fresh mag on was very handy.

Each set up has its good points and its drawbacks, all dependent on the situation.

What kind of sissy Mule Deer do you hunt?!
@BRICKBURN
Obviously he has never been charged by an enraged field mouse after it was shot with a pissant 243.
Bob
Screenshot_20230112-203236_Messenger.jpg

HA HA HA HA HA HA
Hi cap mass ate mandatory or a single shot Whelen will suffice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarinaWyan

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]