DG870

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA ( NE, SD, CO, WY, OK, TX)
I’m looking for opinions Based on your experiences of using rifles with fixed magazines vs detachable magazines for hunting. I’m looking at adding a 300 Winchester to my hunting rifles. I Have hunted with fixed magazine rifles most of my life but recently (last 10 or 12 years) have started liking Tikka rifles. I have gone on several hunts and so far haven’t had any problems with the magazines. I always carry a spare magazine in my hunting vest in case I lose a magazine but so far that hasn’t happened.

I’m looking at Tikkas, Benelli Lupos, Franchi Momentems and Weatherby Vanguards in 300 Win and am leaning towards fixed magazines with the thoughts of “that’s just one thing less thing that could go wrong”. Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
No issues with the removable mags on my Tikkas, but none of those are DG rifles. I use the optional 5 rounders and also carry a spare. You do have to remove the magazine to fill or top-off on the Tikkas.

My Franchi Momentum in 308 with fixed magazine is very slow to reload. The bolt stop is too far back, allowing the cartridge to hang up on the rear ledge of the magazine. Poor design, but it was bought as a low dollar practice rifle. It works well in that role.

Tikkas are a big step up compared to the Franchi, IMO.

Blind magazine on all weather/bad conditions guns. No crap (leaves/twigs/dust/snow/rain/mud/etc.) gets in there and no chance of the ammo falling out! It's not a GI Joe gun. (If you have to swap out a mag that animal is GONE by shot 2.) Until I started using dry lubricants, I've had some box mag guns freeze up (the firing pin doesn't activate) because the mag well is essentially open-air! Definitely easier to load/unload the boxes, as well as the floorplate internals, but it only takes a few seconds. Box holds more shots ('have one in a compact pump 06 for running shots at deer in cover) but your job should be done in 1 or 2 w/ the internal bolt guns that often hold only 3-4 shots.

On my detachable magazine guns I always put the empty mag back in the gun immediately after unloading and as a result have never forgotten it. However one of the old timers I hunt with he was an old-timer when I was a kid LOL he did forget his magazines at times as he kept them loaded but separate from the guns (as mentioned above.)

IMG_20230909_122608~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One more thing to lose or misplace/forget. I’ve never been in a gunfight with a mule deer where rapid mag changes were paramount.
I’m a firm believer of mr. Murphy, I think the bastard follows me around so I idiot proof most of my kit

Also in the fixed camp. I shoot Springfield 03A3 and Mauser 98 with fixed magazines. The Mauser is a recent build with fancy drop floorplate and I like that feature. Easier to clean. Also had some problems with the extractor not "snapping over" on cartridges dropped in the chamber. So, to fully load 3+1 404 DGR, I needed to drop a shell in magazine from the bottom after one was loaded in chamber. I think I've licked the problem now.

I once missed an easy follow up shot on a nice bull moose because the detachable box fell out of my 760 Remington pump. At least once I had to drive back to town to get the magazine.

Fixed or detachable…..in quality firearms both systems work well. Get whichever suits your style.

I’ve run Sako 75’s and 85’s for years and never had an issue with either fixed or detachable models. Before that I was a Remington fan and used 700’s with fixed magazines for almost 2 decades without any problems.

Now I mainly use either a Blaser R8 or a Rigby. I’d hunt anything with either.

The R8 , at the flick of a button, can be turned into a fixed magazine rifle. I’ve never used the function.

My son uses a T3 in 308. It’s hunted hard, seriously hard and used almost daily, for nearly a decade. Never been an issue with the rifle or magazine.

As far as stories about leaving magazines at home…..well I’ve heard plenty of stories about people leaving bolts at home. Believe it or not I’ve even been told of people leaving their beer behind. Almost unbelievable :rolleyes::X3:

If you get a T3 you’ll have a great rifle.

Fixed or detachable…..in quality firearms both systems work well. Get whichever suits your style.

I’ve run Sako 75’s and 85’s for years and never had an issue with either fixed or detachable models. Before that I was a Remington fan and used 700’s with fixed magazines for almost 2 decades without any problems.

Now I mainly use either a Blaser R8 or a Rigby. I’d hunt anything with either.

The R8 , at the flick of a button, can be turned into a fixed magazine rifle. I’ve never used the function.

My son uses a T3 in 308. It’s hunted hard, seriously hard and used almost daily, for nearly a decade. Never been an issue with the rifle or magazine.

As far as stories about leaving magazines at home…..well I’ve heard plenty of stories about people leaving bolts at home. Believe it or not I’ve even been told of people leaving their beer behind. Almost unbelievable :rolleyes::X3:

If you get a T3 you’ll have a great rifle.
How does someone put their gun in the truck or gun case and not notice the bolt is missing? Forgetting the beer has never been a problem for me. I don't drink booze when hunting or in hunting camp. Rarely drink anything stronger than ginger ale when I'm in Africa.

The original Browning A-Bolt system is pretty nice...Mag slides into the bottom metal and closes flush, as opposed to the box hanging below the stock. Many friends use 'em.

How does someone put their gun in the truck or gun case and not notice the bolt is missing? Forgetting the beer has never been a problem for me. .
Operator error I guess? Probably same reason for magazines not being properly inserted into rifles…..

Operator error I guess? Probably same reason for magazines not being properly inserted into rifles…..
Easier to miss that ... unless it's a banana clip. Magazine for my 760 is unobtrusive and I seldom unloaded it (magazine). The law here requires guns unloaded in vehicles and ammo stored separately from rifle at home so my loaded mag was usually not with my rifle. Easy to grab the gun and forget the clip.

I have a Tikka. If I ever leave a magazine behind it isn’t a system issue, it’s an issue with me failing to do a pre-check. I have handguns with magazines as well, so….again, a me issue if I choose to walk out the door without a mag in the handgun.

Tikka’s are very accurate rifles. I think the magazine “issue” really isn’t. Get the rifle you like. Train with it and check your kit prior to deployment.

Safe shooting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dKimeTooheldidge

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia