First Safari - I’ll hunt plains game - What caliber?

For this trip, I would like to buy a nice bolt action rifle such as the Anchutz 1782 D, which comes in 6.5 Creedmoor, .308, and 30-06. What is the lowest recoiling caliber of this bunch that you would find suitable for the trip?
Of this choice, 30'06.
Use only premium bullet,

Just completed my first safari 3 months ago. Took a Blue Wildebeest, Kudu, Gemsbok and Tsessebe all within 175 yards with a 30-06 shooting 150 grain silvertips:-0! I would have thought premium180's were the way to go but shot placement appeared to be everything, and that was not a problem:).

Had thoughts of bringing my Steyr Scout in 6.5 CM to the NC. I have read they will take Eland with 140 grain bullets. While it can be done, I think my 338 Win Mag would be better suited for something weighing over a half ton.

There's a saying in handguns a hit with a 22 is better than a miss with a 44. Bring the biggest gun you can shoot comfortably! All that to say I was extremely satisfied with my 30-06 chasing plains critters:).

Last edited:
Hi,

I booked my first Safari which will be in the Eastern Cape of South Africa in 2026. I will hunt Kudu, Blue Wildebeest, Blesbluk, Springbuk, and Impala.

I might add Sable and Gemsbuk/Oryx. Maybe in the far future I’d look at Zebra, but likely not this trip.

For this trip, I would like to buy a nice bolt action rifle such as the Anchutz 1782 D, which comes in 6.5 Creedmoor, .308, and 30-06. What is the lowest recoiling caliber of this bunch that you would find suitable for the trip?

I would like to bring something adequate but not unnecessarily powerful (to the extent there is flexibility).

Thank you!
I would go with the .30-06. While shot placement is always the most important thing, it is not the only thing. Having enough gun to deliver a bonded bullet of enough weight. Good bullet weights for the .30-06 would would be 165 or 180 grains.

Good luck to you!

Doug

Last edited:
Planning my first African hunt.
It’s plains game this trip. It’s either a .338 Win Mag or .375 Ruger for me but of your choices I’d go with the 30-06.

Spend a lot of time shooting and then spend some more time shooting before you go. I use the .338 Win Mag for everything in the lower 48 and stepped up to the .375 Ruger for Alaska. It’s now my one and done rifle for anything in North America.

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor and it’s great for range practice with a lower recoiling rifle. I bought it because I lost my 6.5 X 284 in the bankruptcy. Spend a lot of time at the range and NOT shooting off the bench. Learn to read the wind. Know how your rifle shoots with a cold barrel and how your group will shift with a warm barrel.

There is no replacement for range time. Shoot in the rain. Shoot in the wind. Know how your rifle reacts in varying conditions. I prefer one rifle for everything over multiple rifles. Know your rifle better than your sexual partner.

Planning my first African hunt.
It’s plains game this trip. It’s either a .338 Win Mag or .375 Ruger for me but of your choices I’d go with the 30-06.

Spend a lot of time shooting and then spend some more time shooting before you go. I use the .338 Win Mag for everything in the lower 48 and stepped up to the .375 Ruger for Alaska. It’s now my one and done rifle for anything in North America.

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor and it’s great for range practice with a lower recoiling rifle. I bought it because I lost my 6.5 X 284 in the bankruptcy. Spend a lot of time at the range and NOT shooting off the bench. Learn to read the wind. Know how your rifle shoots with a cold barrel and how your group will shift with a warm barrel.

There is no replacement for range time. Shoot in the rain. Shoot in the wind. Know how your rifle reacts in varying conditions. I prefer one rifle for everything over multiple rifles. Know your rifle better than your sexual partner.
Not sure I could ever know a rifle that well :oops:

I would go with the .30-06. While shot placement is always the most important thing, it is not the only thing. Having enough gun to deliver a bonded bullet of enough weight. Good bullet weights for the .30-06 would would be 165 or 180 grains.

Good luck to you!

Doug
Ditto Doug's comments! Love my 6.5CM but (while capable) is going to be light for the Blue Wildebeest and the Kudu, but wonderful for the other three:). Another factor in favor of the 30-06 is you'll likely be shooting from a tripod, which lessens felt recoil as compared to shooting one from the bench, and it's a better choice for your bigger critters.

I have used every thing from a 30/06 & 7mm mag to 300 Win to 416 Rigby and they all worked perfectly. The 30/06 is about perfect or 7mm rem mag where longer shots are expected.

6.5 CM will work, but it leaves little margin for error.

The missus and I were recently in Limpopo, she shot a zebra with my 6.5x55 Swede. Shot was just a skosh off, I think if she'd been shooting a 30-06 instead of the 6.5, we'd have ended up finding it - nice stallion, but it ended up being an all-day tracking job, and I ended up getting scratched to pieces by thorns. It was still one of the funnest things I've ever done, but had nothing to show for it at the end of the VERY long day.

My buddy ended up having to rent a camp rifle, 30-06. He had 1-shot kills on blue wildebeest, zebra, and of course the smaller stuff.

I shot a blesbok, 1 shot kill, from about 150 yards with my Swede. I'd have taken the same shot on wildebeest or zebra in that circumstance - it was standing in the wide open. At least in Limpopo, you don't get a lot of shots like that and I was very glad to have brought my 9.3x62.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go with 180 gr 30-06 and not look back. In the eastern cape, it'll easily reach 300 yards without a lot of holdover adjustment for anything on your list.

Go with the 30-06. Shot placement is key. A 6.5 CM will work but there is no room for error. You will likely be taking long shots at not all perfectly broadside animals. I shot my kudu at 400 yards and hit him 2 inches low, it took 2 more shots with a 300 Win mag to take him down. Kudu are bigger and tougher than elk IMO. Good luck! Go Big and shoot straight!

DSC0E0069.JPG 308 shooting a 165gr Gameking

If you don't have the dedicated rifle yet, get a 300 Win Mag--when a shot isn't perfect, it covers a multitude of sins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlmaBatt37

Latest profile posts

Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better