First Safari - I’ll hunt plains game - What caliber?

Any of those calibers will work. Personally I’d shy away from the 6.5CM for a 30 Cal but with a quality bullet and great shot placement you won’t have an issue. I like a little more gun just incase I clip and branch or pull a shot. I’d lean towards .308 since that’s what I used in the Eastern Cape and personally prefer.

For all the plains game listed your favorite deer rifle caliber should work and you can spend that money towards more trophy fees or rent a gun so you don’t need to mess with traveling with a rifle.

I’ve used my M70 Featherweight in .30-06 on multiple safaris for anything from duiker, Kudu, Oryx, Hartman’s zebra, etc…

This rifle loves Federal Premium 185gr BarnesTSX. That’s all I’ve ever used in that rifle. Solid performance every time.

Plus…ammo will be available most everywhere, just in case the airlines lose your luggage (ask me how I know).

Ed Z

308 has less felt recoil and with good bullets and shot placement the 308 or 30-06 is more than enough. My son shot 12 animals with 308 ranging from Giraffe to Springbuck as well as Zebra with Barnes ammo all 1 shot kills.

I’d prefer the 30-06 over the other choices but I’m not the one going. In reality, I’d really prefer a 375H&H over anything smaller, but you did mention trying to minimize recoil so that one’s out.

30-06 will be good with premium bullets (Barnes TSX/TTSX, Swift A-Frame & Norma Oryx) up to zebra and similar sized animals while still keeping recoil to a manageable level.

Just understand that some shot angles will not be an option and you may have to wait for a complete broadside presentation before pulling the trigger. Your PH will guide you through all this as well.

30-06. Practice with 150s a lot. From the sticks. Work in a 22 for practice as well.

A mono metal 165 grain such as a Barnes TTSX will recoil a little less than the also excellent 180 Swift A-Frame.

I would take the 30/06 180gr aframes and not look back, since you have kudu and wildebeest on your list the 6.5 has now business being in the conversation. I have shot animals in Africa with both a 6.5creedmoor and Grendel but my largest target was a vaal Rehbok. I would take my 6.5 creedmoor or PRC for deer and antelope in the states or blesbok and smaller in Africa all day long but when you start stepping up to elk class or kudu class animal. No. When ever the conversation comes up folks always default to with the proper shot pacement ??? smaller round will work (if everything goes perfect) but Mr Murphy has a way of jacking with things. The biggest problem with the 6.5 is that there are very few premium hunting bullets vs great target match bullets, and the writers and internet arm chair ballistics folks have over promoted the abilities of the rounds in my opinion.

To the original poster @Dessert_Eagle: You haven't provided much info about yourself. How much experience do you have hunting and what part of the world? A very expensive rifle won't make the hunting experience any better than using a rental rifle. Over the last sixty years I have used borrowed or rental rifles on a couple of occasions with no problems. Actually, I made my longest shot ever on a kudu using my PH's personal rifle that I had never shot before the previous day when I used it to make my second longest shot ever (440 and 370 yards respectively). Your comment about recoil leads me to think you're not that experienced. Could be an incorrect assumption and I apologize if incorrect. Not that it makes a huge difference. People with absolutely no experience have done fine using rental rifles under the guidance of a good PH. Videos abound on the net to verify that statement. However, I do want to caution you that spending a lot of money on a top shelf rifle will not make you a top shelf hunter. Generally, that takes decades of experience. Your PH will fill in that gap.

Last time I hunted Africa the lodge sent me out with a new (to me) PH. The second day during a break he said, "When I first laid eyes on you, it was apparent to me this guy knows what he's doing." I asked if it was my WWII Springfield 30-06 that tipped him off. "No, it was your boots." They were nearly worn out Georgia Boot Co "Eagle Trail" hikers at less than $150 new (a new pair of similar design was brought as backup).

So ... what message will you be sending when you show up with a brand new shiny ultra expensive rifle? Just something to think about. Generally, I'm not a big advocate of wasting a lot of time, ammo, and money at the range. But I've been doing this for more than a half century. However, you should familiarize yourself with shooting your rifle (or any rifle) before your trip.

I concur with what everyone has already said...

while its true that my preferred caliber is 308, and I have taken a significant number of PG with it ranging from springbok to zebra and wildebeest.. were I starting fresh and picking a rifle for the first time to go to Africa with for PG, I would likely have gone the 30-06 route..

you can down load a 30-06 to perform at 308 levels... but you cant load up the 308 to perform at the max end of 30-06 (220gr projectiles traveling at the same speed, etc)..

If youre recoil sensitive, go with a 30-06 and just limit yourself to something like 150 or 165 gr loads shooting premium bullets like TTSX, A-Frame, etc.. My go-to load for the 308 is a 168gr TTSX traveling at about 2700 fps.. it has never failed me on anything I have shot with it as long as I have done my part and put the bullet where it belongs..

All of this is not to say that the 6.5 CM cant kill everything that walks the plains... with the right bullet put in the right place, the 6.5 can certainly get the job done.. but.. with every trigger pull there is a good bit of money riding on the shot.. a wounded animal costs the same thing that a dead one does.. and no one wants to know an animal is out there suffering overnight waiting to become a jackals dinner.. the 308 or the 30-06 will give you a bit more room for error over the 6.5...

I’ve shot a pretty good variety of plains game with both the .308 and 30-06, both with premium bullets. The game ranged from klipspringer to roan. No experience with the 6.5. With wildebeest on your list I would go with the 06 with a well constructed 180gr bullet as long as the rifle groups it well. If your not stuck on the three calibers mentioned look at a .300 magnum or a .338 Win mag.

Hi,

I booked my first Safari which will be in the Eastern Cape of South Africa in 2026. I will hunt Kudu, Blue Wildebeest, Blesbluk, Springbuk, and Impala.

I might add Sable and Gemsbuk/Oryx. Maybe in the far future I’d look at Zebra, but likely not this trip.

For this trip, I would like to buy a nice bolt action rifle such as the Anchutz 1782 D, which comes in 6.5 Creedmoor, .308, and 30-06. What is the lowest recoiling caliber of this bunch that you would find suitable for the trip?

I would like to bring something adequate but not unnecessarily powerful (to the extent there is flexibility).

Thank you!
I would go with a 30/06 and contact Silencer Central and get a suppressor like the Banish backcountry. Greatly reduces recoil and mitigates muzzle blast to almost zero. Only weighs 7.8 oz and 5.5 inches long. No issue taking it to South Africa.

30-06, and practice shooting off sticks before u go. I never shot off sticks before my namibia plains game hunt. it took some getting used to.

Hi,

I booked my first Safari which will be in the Eastern Cape of South Africa in 2026. I will hunt Kudu, Blue Wildebeest, Blesbluk, Springbuk, and Impala.

I might add Sable and Gemsbuk/Oryx. Maybe in the far future I’d look at Zebra, but likely not this trip.

For this trip, I would like to buy a nice bolt action rifle such as the Anchutz 1782 D, which comes in 6.5 Creedmoor, .308, and 30-06. What is the lowest recoiling caliber of this bunch that you would find suitable for the trip?

I would like to bring something adequate but not unnecessarily powerful (to the extent there is flexibility).

Thank you!
Hello and congratulations on booking that hunt!

You may not agree or even like this advice. But not only should you go with a 30-06, you should get one that has a fine walnut stock and blued barrel. Something that says I'm hunting Africa with a bit of class and nostalgia. And even better if you buy a used one that already has a soul:)

I probably should stop there rather than telling you all the reasons not to take some plastic tactical piece of soul-less machinery;)

Classic caliber that is perfect for what you are hunting without beating you up on recoil. Easy to find ammo for it about anywhere in the World. Something that the vast majority of PHs will respect and appreciate. Something that looks the part in pictures. Something that is timeless and ageless...

Hello and congratulations on booking that hunt!

You may not agree or even like this advice. But not only should you go with a 30-06, you should get one that has a fine walnut stock and blued barrel. Something that says I'm hunting Africa with a bit of class and nostalgia. And even better if you buy a used one that already has a soul:)

I probably should stop there rather than telling you all the reasons not to take some plastic tactical piece of soul-less machinery;)

Classic caliber that is perfect for what you are hunting without beating you up on recoil. Easy to find ammo for it about anywhere in the World. Something that the vast majority of PHs will respect and appreciate. Something that looks the part in pictures. Something that is timeless and ageless...
This is the perfect safari rifle:A Stirring:

a3b9a066-a979-45bb-9718-91f018d17350.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy choice….
A 30-06 pushing high quality 165gr bullets is the way to go.
At 8lb 4oz without a scope, that Anchutz 1782D is no light weight mountain rifle, so recoil shouldn’t be an issue at all. For your next plains game safari to Limpopo, Namibia, Zambia etc. You’re sorted

308 or 3006 get my vote. I prefer the 180 gr bullets or heavier for bigger game.
I used a .308 with 180 gr Nosler Partitions. 6 shots, 6 animals, no difficult tracking. Even the mighty "poor man's Cape Buffalo" fell quickly to one shot. A 30.06 would do just as well if you already have one.
Another thought. Ammo is easy to obtain for .308 vs 6.5. Almost every PH has one.

Forget about the 6.5 CM......it is illegal to use it to hunt buffalo, eland, kudu, wildebeest, oryx or red hartebeest within the Eastern Cape.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BerryBidde

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me