First Safari - I’ll hunt plains game - What caliber?

No doubt, .30/.06

Definitely a 30-06.

Black Wildebeest
_DSC0020.JPG

Blue Wildebeest
_DSC0249.JPG

White Blesbok
_DSC0037.JPG

Black Springbok
_DSC0227.JPG

Impala
_DSC0292.JPG

Bush buck
_DSC0015.JPG

Plus not pictured; 2 kudu, 1 red heatebeast, 1 warthog, 1 common springbok, 1 common blesbok, and a second impala, all using my 30-06 Mossberg Patriot, shooting Hornady 165 and 168 grain bullets.

I used .30-06 on 5 species up to Zebra no issues at all, this was my first Safari and wasn't sure on the caliber but when i go again i'll probably use the same.

Definitely a 30-06.
Bush buck
View attachment 616214

Ridge Runner congrats there were a few good looking animals you hunted on your trip. What peaked my interest though is this picture... I never knew our SA Army did guided hunts (sarcasm directed at the gentlemen/tracker wearing formal army attire...not at you Ridge Runner)

Tons of great options for PG calibers. Pick something that pushes a 150 grain (minimum) bullet over 2,600-2,700 fps and you will be fine. Then pick a quality bullet and you are all set. My top choices are swift Aframe or scirocco, Barnes TTSX, or Nosler partition.

For your 1st safari it begs for a 7x57 Mauser. But you can’t go wrong with a 30-06 either. The ghosts of WDM Bell and Teddy Roosevelt will be looking out for you.

Of the calibers listed I would pick the 30-06.
With that said I took a 308 on my first Safari last year. The Savage 110 Timberline in left handed configuration. A 30-06 was not available in a rifle I wanted. Go figure.
The 308 knocked down Zebra, Blue Wildebeest, Warthog and Impala with one shot. The Zebra ran about 50 yards and expired. Everything else dropped where it stood. I did put a second shot in the Willdebeest.

Next year I am taking a 375 Ruger for Buffalo.
I have 6 others going with me. 3 first timers to Africa. One is taking a 300 WM, one is taking a 30-06 and the third is taking a 375 Ruger.
The other three are taking, 375 Ruger, 7 Mag and a 30-06.

You might look at a 375 Ruger loaded with 270 grain bullets.

Everyone needs at least one good 30-06.

20210720_173956~3.jpg
20210720_174507_edited.jpg

I have always taken a 300 WM for plains game on my previous safaris. This year I am taking a 30-06 and will be shooting 200 grain AFrames at just under 2600 ft/sec muzzle velocity. A little slower than out of the 300 but the 30-06 has a shorter barrel and that is why I am taking it this trip. Kudu, zebra, spotted hyena, warthog are all possibilities and I’m sure this set up will work just fine if I do my part. I say all that to say, you can’t go wrong with the 30-06

Barnes 167 gr TSX will give you better milage, less recoil, and every bit as effective for plains game.
I have always taken a 300 WM for plains game on my previous safaris. This year I am taking a 30-06 and will be shooting 200 grain AFrames at just under 2600 ft/sec muzzle velocity. A little slower than out of the 300 but the 30-06 has a shorter barrel and that is why I am taking it this trip. Kudu, zebra, spotted hyena, warthog are all possibilities and I’m sure this set up will work just fine if I do my part. I say all that to say, you can’t go wrong with the 30-06

@Ontario Hunter,
I have heard great things about the Barnes TSX ammo/bullets, and I am sure they would do great, I am a big fan of the Aframes and feel very confident that they will perform as needed if I put them where they are supposed to go. As far as the recoil goes, I am not too sensitive to recoil and so far in practice they that has not been an issue. Appreciate the input. Thanks

@Ontario Hunter,
I have heard great things about the Barnes TSX ammo/bullets, and I am sure they would do great, I am a big fan of the Aframes and feel very confident that they will perform as needed if I put them where they are supposed to go. As far as the recoil goes, I am not too sensitive to recoil and so far in practice they that has not been an issue. Appreciate the input. Thanks
You may need the extra mileage from lighter bullet. Shots at kudu and springbuck are often a stretch. This one at 330 yards.
2019-08-28 kudu & Pat.JPG

And this one at 440 yards (but not with my 30-06).
20210823_163525.jpg

Also black wildebeest are typically way out there in the open. And blesbuck are wide open plains inhabitants but they're not so wary. You can usually get close if you stick with it. However, getting within three hundred yards of that chosen springbuck ram can be challenging. A 200 gr -06 is being lobbed at that range ... at a very small target.

30-06 are great for most of that list. From my experience, wildebeest are stupidly tough. So I suggest using something bigger for them.
But 30-06 is still a really good choice

Choosing my first hunt I asked a lot of outfitters what to bring. Without fail the first thing they said is something along the lines of 'do you have a 30-06 (or) 308 you shoot well?, Bring it.' Two hunts in Namibia for everything on your list and more with a 30-06 and 168 grain Barnes TTSX bullets and nothing went more than a few feet. Practice, practice and more practice off of sticks. And I would also suggest talking to your outfitter about it to know typical distance and their opinion on caliber.

Well, the are a lot of .30-06 lovers on this site, for good reason, it works well. But nobody answered the original question.... "What is the lowest recoiling caliber of this bunch that you would find suitable for the trip?"
The lowest recoiling caliber of this bunch that I would find suitable for the trip is the .308. Many, many South African resident hunters would agree. The .30-06 offers "more" but more is not always "better". The .308 will kill plains game efficiently, with just a little less recoil and muzzle blast. It offers a tiny bit more efficiency that the .30-06. Nothing wrong with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BerryBidde

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me