First Convention: SCI or DSC?

From what I can tell SCI kind of lucked into a home run with Nashville. Quite certain they did not forecast it being such a successful venue. They'd be wise IMO to never leave Nashville unless conditions deteriorated.
Outfitters are also very happy about not having to move their booths from city to city each year.

IMO SCI is much bigger, more internationally focused and has a bigger African draw.

There was a time I'd definitely agree with you on that, but not now. DSC has grown over the last 10 years and is on par with SCI in regards to size from I've seen working both shows over those years.

Outfitters are also very happy about not having to move their booths from city to city each year.

It's definitely nice to have consistency. I can tell you first hand on the subject of move in/out, DSC had them all beat with the KBH Conv Center. With the staging lot just outside the center and then LOTS of room to bring a vehicle in usually immediately or after only a few minutes wait, it was just so much easier. And the DSC volunteers are always so friendly, not to mention providing free BBQ while you wait, which as mentioned is never long.

Getting moved into SCI whether it was in Vegas or even now in Nashville is a damn mission. The staging lots are some distance from the convention halls and you'll wait forever to be told to head over to the center. Once there you'll wait yet some more to get into the convention center, and once in rushed to get out. And it's all staffed by people who aren't with SCI and really don't give a crap about the exhibitors with a few being just flat out rude.

From what I can tell SCI kind of lucked into a home run with Nashville. Quite certain they did not forecast it being such a successful venue. They'd be wise IMO to never leave Nashville unless conditions deteriorated.
I don't think it was luck. I think everyone knew it would be good. Maybe no one knew it would be this good though.
What I can not figure out (still trying) is who in the hell thought it was a good idea to go to New Orleans and Indianapolis? Now that was plain stupid!

It's definitely nice to have consistency. I can tell you first hand on the subject of move in/out, DSC had them all beat with the KBH Conv Center. With the staging lot just outside the center and then LOTS of room to bring a vehicle in usually immediately or after only a few minutes wait, it was just so much easier. And the DSC volunteers are always so friendly, not to mention providing free BBQ while you wait, which as mentioned is never long.

Getting moved into SCI whether it was in Vegas or even now in Nashville is a damn mission. The staging lots are some distance from the convention halls and you'll wait forever to be told to head over to the center. Once there you'll wait yet some more to get into the convention center, and once in rushed to get out. And it's all staffed by people who aren't with SCI and really don't give a crap about the exhibitors with a few being just flat out rude.
Phil,
I am here to change this.

I don't think it was luck. I think everyone knew it would be good. Maybe no one knew it would be this good though.
What I can not figure out (still trying) is who in the hell thought it was a good idea to go to New Orleans and Indianapolis? Now that was plain stupid!

I'm with you on Indy. I can't imagine why anyone would think going there in winter would be a good idea. New Orleans I can sort of see, at least from before the hurricane. Plenty of entertainment and the best food in this country, better weather. But post Katrina, from what I gather the city has not recovered.

DSC in Atlanta will be great and it will have a huge turn out. The east coast has a ton of international hunters. The area around the convention center is really nice and safe. Does Atlanta traffic suck? YES. Are parts of Atlanta very dangerous? YES. Unless you are communting down the interstate to go to the show or staying at a hotel in the ghetto none of this will effect anybody. There is a ton of night life and entertainment in the downtown area. I might take my wife to a show at the Fox theater while we are in town. I live in South Ga and everytime I go to Atl and get stuck in traffic I wish General Sherman would have burnt it better back during the war of northern aggression. But my road rage aside and contrary to what the news says Atlanta is a great city and has alot to offer. The show will do well. You know there are two things grown men dislike.... change and the way things are. SCI is also great and downtown Nashville is wonderful. If nightlife and dinner are your thing the bars in Nashville will be crazy busy and filled with Bachelorette party groups which can be super aggravating. You can't go wrong either way.

I’ll be going to SCI for the first time this coming January. Anything that’s a must see or days not to be missed? I went to Shot Show a number of times and some days were better than others.

I'm with you on Indy. I can't imagine why anyone would think going there in winter would be a good idea.
OK, I have to defend my state city. LOL. So what is wrong with Indianapolis? Other than the iffy weather the city knows how to put out the red carpet. The super bowl a few years ago (in February) got rave reviews. I think if you ask most people in the Big 10, Indianapolis is the go to city for conference events. During COVID, the entire NCAA basketball tournament was played in Indiana with most games in Indianapolis. Look how many times the final 4 basketball tournament has been in Indianapolis. Nothing wrong with Nashville but I guarantee you the traffic in Indy is much less congested than Nashville. Downtown is easy to walk around too. I know because we have friends in Nashville and I am in both cities several times each year. Tongue in cheek here. Not wanting to start an argument. :)

So when in January is the SCI show? How much is it for entry? If my wife goes does she need to be a member to get in also?

So when in January is the SCI show? How much is it for entry? If my wife goes does she need to be a member to get in also?
Here is the link to the convention info. It is january 22-25 and your wife does not need to be a member if she is with you.

OK, I have to defend my state city. LOL. So what is wrong with Indianapolis? Other than the iffy weather the city knows how to put out the red carpet. The super bowl a few years ago (in February) got rave reviews. I think if you ask most people in the Big 10, Indianapolis is the go to city for conference events. During COVID, the entire NCAA basketball tournament was played in Indiana with most games in Indianapolis. Look how many times the final 4 basketball tournament has been in Indianapolis. Nothing wrong with Nashville but I guarantee you the traffic in Indy is much less congested than Nashville. Downtown is easy to walk around too. I know because we have friends in Nashville and I am in both cities several times each year. Tongue in cheek here. Not wanting to start an argument. :)

I haven't been to Indianapolis in more than 40 years, so I've no opinion in reality on the city itself. My comment was only in regards to the weather. I'd be willing to bet not even a Hoosier thinks of Indianapolis, Chicago, Minneapolis and other such northern cities as a destination to escape winter weather for a few days.

No offense intended to the city itself other than the questionable winter weather. This coming from someone intending to retire in the upper Rockies.

No offense intended. I'd love to have convention in my home state of Texas but that's not going to happen. What it boils down to is that there are very few locations with what Vegas has. Vastly larger convention centers (multiple), massive hotels, and more flights a day to every destination you can think of than any convention city. Even going to Nashville was a big risk. The convention center is smaller, hotels are an issue, and flights are just ok. Going down to the next tier of cities it becomes even more challenging. Then add weather issues of more northern cities (Reno & Indianapolis) and there is a problem. I know many people who refused to attend SCI in Reno due to bad luck with weather. Just look at the predicament DSC has gotten theirselves into. It is the same afore mentioned issues.
Regards,
Philip

The biggest convention centers (size wise) to support large sized shows like this are Vegas, Orlando, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, New Orleans and Houston.

The next tier includes Nashville, St Louis, Louisville, Indianapolis, Denver, Detroit, DC, Cleveland, Philly, San Fran, Sands, Mandalay Bay, Columbus, and San Antonio.

This is why most of the big trade shows rotate and move around through a handful of cities and as they continue to grow the list gets smaller and smaller since the square footage of the convention center is one concern, but they also start to consider surrounding hotels, airports, restaurants, public transportation, etc. Take a show like NRA with 60k+ attendees before accounting for booth space and vendors and you’re limited on where it can be held.

The biggest convention centers (size wise) to support large sized shows like this are Vegas, Orlando, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, New Orleans and Houston.

The next tier includes Nashville, St Louis, Louisville, Indianapolis, Denver, Detroit, DC, Cleveland, Philly, San Fran, Sands, Mandalay Bay, Columbus, and San Antonio.

This is why most of the big trade shows rotate and move around through a handful of cities and as they continue to grow the list gets smaller and smaller since the square footage of the convention center is one concern, but they also start to consider surrounding hotels, airports, restaurants, public transportation, etc. Take a show like NRA with 60k+ attendees before accounting for booth space and vendors and you’re limited on where it can be held.

All true....

but.. using the NRA as an example... it has had multiple very successful shows in Nashville.. a tier 2 city in terms of convention center size and support... and SCI has been successful in Nashville as well...

Most of those tier 2 options can support the biggest shows in the country as long as they are organized well and properly planned for... "small" convention centers on the tier 2 list all have more than 500K sq ft in exhibitor space.. most of the their 2 claim somewhere between 700K and 1M sq ft of space...

DSC claims it uses roughly 700K sq ft...

All true....

but.. using the NRA as an example... it has had multiple very successful shows in Nashville.. a tier 2 city in terms of convention center size and support... and SCI has been successful in Nashville as well...

Most of those tier 2 options can support the biggest shows in the country as long as they are organized well and properly planned for... "small" convention centers on the tier 2 list all have more than 500K sq ft in exhibitor space.. most of the their 2 claim somewhere between 700K and 1M sq ft of space...

DSC claims it uses roughly 700K sq ft...
You’re 100% right and with that NRA example, Atlanta (2017) was one of their largest ever with over 81k attendees.

Once estimated size is decided they look at logistics; weather, travel, loading docks, hotel proximity, restaurants, security, desirability of the destination, etc. Certain shows bring a larger non-resident attendee crowd. The other issue that needs to be looked at is availability/timing and their historical dates. Not all are available at the same time. They’re also going to consider the location and its voter base/political views. I’d wager certain venues get scratched off just because of the city or state they’re in.

The only convention center on that list I haven’t personally attended something at is San Francisco, I’ve also been to a bunch of others not listed Reno, SLC, Kansas City, Memphis, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, etc which would all fall as Tier 2 places.

You will be required to buy a membership to attend SCI. You might as well do that online to save the time doing so at the show. I believe you can also buy tickets online which are then picked up at the convention center.
A 4 day pass is around 400 dollars. Keep watching the sci website. They will usually advertise for a lifetime membership. Plan on buying my wife her lifetime this year. For 60 yo it's 1000 bucks and you get 2 4 day passes to the show plus some admissions to some of the other events like the concert and dinners.

Agree on all of that...

The Memphis convention center is well laid out and well thought out in terms of the convention center itself... It just went through a big renovation a couple of years ago (that was desperately needed)... the problem with the memphis space is its on the wrong end of downtown and isnt really walking distance to much thats of any interest... quality hotels are limited (there are a few.. but not a lot)... and frankly, the part of downtown that its located in is an absolute crap hole.. lots of crime.. dirty.. etc..etc.. there are a few big(ish) shows that do Memphis regularly.. its in the center of the US, and the airport is big enough to accommodate travelers from all over the country.. but I think these days most of the people that use Memphis are large regional and local events.. I dont hear of many national events taking place there anymore..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
britishproofreading

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.