First Convention: SCI or DSC?

We found the venue and show in Nashville to be huge. I actually wish it was a bit longer, we spent all 4 days in the convention hall and we didnt see everything. There are auctions going on all day long, meetings and seminars, and the dinners are a great time as well as the entertainment.
Nashville is a nice place, but we didnt see much of it except for a couple dinners as the convention has so much to keep you busy..
IMG_9042.jpg
IMG_9024.jpg
IMG_9029.jpg
IMG_9031.jpg
IMG_9038.jpg
IMG_9033.jpg
IMG_8970.jpg
IMG_8971.jpg
IMG_8976.jpg
IMG_8989.jpg
IMG_9010.jpg
IMG_8965.jpg
IMG_8960.jpg
IMG_8961.jpg
IMG_8963.jpg
IMG_8956.jpg
IMG_8957.jpg
IMG_8959.jpg
IMG_8949.jpg
IMG_8952.jpg
IMG_8953.jpg
IMG_8946.jpg
IMG_8947.jpg
IMG_8914.jpg
IMG_8918.jpg
IMG_8919.jpg
IMG_8926.jpg
IMG_8928.jpg
IMG_8929.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8953.jpg
    IMG_8953.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
I am planning to go to one convention this January, which will be my first safari convention.

Would you recommend one over the other between the Dallas Safari Club convention in Atlanta and the Safari Club International convention in Nashville; or, are they essentially similar?

(Im not a member of either organization yet)
Definitely SCI in Nashville. You will be amazed!

I have intentions of attending the SCI show in Nashville in 2025. The hotel is reserved, the time has been booked off of work, and my wife is on board for the road trip. Now, for what may be a silly question, but a thought has just occurred to me - Do I need to become a member of SCI in order to attend, or can I just purchase tickets on arrival?

I have intentions of attending the SCI show in Nashville in 2025. The hotel is reserved, the time has been booked off of work, and my wife is on board for the road trip. Now, for what may be a silly question, but a thought has just occurred to me - Do I need to become a member of SCI in order to attend, or can I just purchase tickets on arrival?

You will be required to buy a membership to attend SCI. You might as well do that online to save the time doing so at the show. I believe you can also buy tickets online which are then picked up at the convention center.

I am planning to go to one convention this January, which will be my first safari convention.

Would you recommend one over the other between the Dallas Safari Club convention in Atlanta and the Safari Club International convention in Nashville; or, are they essentially similar?

(Im not a member of either organization yet)

You've received a number of replies and should be getting the picture that DSC being in Atlanta is a bit of an unknown quantity at this point. Ordinarily I would say to pick one or the other, they're both great shows. Both Dallas and Nashville are great destinations.

But.....Atlanta is a city I've no experience with. I've only passed thru there and mostly the airport. The time or two by automobile, we spent no time there. So outside the show for evening entertainment I don't know about.

Nashville however, you just can't help but find something to do. And I've found the downtown area, for a big city downtown, had a feeling of being safer than most.

SCI is more expensive for both tickets and the fact you must be a member. Furthermore, Nashville hotels are quite expensive. But if I were a first timer, with Atlanta being a bit of a crapshoot, I'd lean towards SCI.

If you asked me a few years ago, I would’ve said you should go to the DSC convention. I have really enjoyed all of them that I’ve attended in Dallas. Now that the SCI convention is in Nashville, I think I like that convention better. With the DSC show having to move to Atlanta this year, I believe the Nashville show will be far better.

I'd stay clear of Nashville and the SCI Show if I were you. It's full of horrible enablers like Safari Outfits, Taxidermist, Custom Gunsmiths, and other's of their ilk. ;)

On the upside, Prince's Nashville Hot Chicken is only a few blocks away off the strip. (y)

I'll be the enabler: go to both.

You won't have time at either one to see everything and talk to everyone that you want to.

As far as the DSC naysayers, you should know that: booth spaces are effectively sold out; lots of volunteers are signed up to go; hotels are booking up; donated auction items are on track; local support is overwhelming. All signs indicate a great show.

Besides, become a member - of both. Support conservation - thru both. Support hunting rights - thru both.

Who do you think fights these battles? Do you expect them to do so with other people's money?

I'll be the enabler: go to both.

You won't have time at either one to see everything and talk to everyone that you want to.

As far as the DSC naysayers, you should know that: booth spaces are effectively sold out; lots of volunteers are signed up to go; hotels are booking up; donated auction items are on track; local support is overwhelming. All signs indicate a great show.

Besides, become a member - of both. Support conservation - thru both. Support hunting rights - thru both.

Who do you think fights these battles? Do you expect them to do so with other people's money?
I’m glad to see the positive comments. It’s not bad on this thread but I’m getting tired of seeing so many cheer on what they are hoping is DSC’s failure because they temporarily moved away from Dallas. Hopefully it’s a good show and brings some new people in.

I hope that board members from DSC are following these responses. I'm a DSC member and I'm not going to Atlanta and most of the DSC members I have talked to feel the same. I will either go to SCI or the Grand Slam Club/Ovis show...both are in Nashville this year. I'm definitely going to the TTHA show...which ironically is the exact same venue and dates that DSC gave up this year....in Texas.

I’m at the same place…

DSC life member.. 6x time DSC100 (show volunteer)… that won’t be going to Atlanta.. I’ll be attending TTHA instead and might hit SCI in Nashville…

I have no ill will for DSC… I hope the show does well this year… the international hunting community needs a vibrant, healthy, successful DSC…

But Atlanta isn’t for me… and the way the change was initially messaged and later managed among members was not much shy of abysmal in my opinion.. which made getting excited for Atlanta nearly impossible for a significant number of members I’m afraid…

Hopefully DSC is paying attention, learning, and will take appropriate corrective action..

DSC life member. I absolutely refuse to go to Atlanta. I am very familiar with Atlanta. It is not my destination of choice. Like many, I work and only have time to take in one show. SCI in Nashville is a great fit for SCI and was a great event last year. There really is no choice if you only have time for one show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brady

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa