First Convention: SCI or DSC?

I am planning to go to one convention this January, which will be my first safari convention.

Would you recommend one over the other between the Dallas Safari Club convention in Atlanta and the Safari Club International convention in Nashville; or, are they essentially similar?

(Im not a member of either organization yet)
Really depends upon you and your likes and wants. As far as cost. DSC is WAY cheaper. As for the quality of the show, both are great. I thought DSC was bigger at least it takes me longer to get through it. Although I am usually going through with more friends plus bumping I to more people I know and more AH members at DSC.

However with it changing to Atlanta? Who knows.

As for fun, @Just Gina have a blast in Nashville and scheduled extra time just to enjoy the city. Plus the evening events and headliner concert is over the top.

If you aren't going for the Nashville experience and are all business. I'd try DSC first, especially as it is so much lower cost.

I live in Georgia also, but the SCI Convention is much more appealing.

I try to avoid downtown Atlanta...

However, I might end up going to both and just deal with the hassling "urban outdoorsmen" in ATL.

Maybe not yourself but posts in other threads appear very petty to me. There is a bigger picture than having a show within easy driving distance for Texas members. I hope Atlanta is a success. I really can’t see the difference of one city to the next for someone attending the show. A convention floor is a convention floor and a hotel bar or a good restaurant is the same in most any city.

I live 2 hours from Atlanta and roughly 3 hours from Nashville. When at the shows we like to schedule dinners in great restaurants and enjoy the city. We simply do not enjoy Atlanta and will not attend a convention there. We had a great time in Nashville last year.

Last edited:
A convention floor is a convention floor and a hotel bar or a good restaurant is the same in most any city.

I disagree…

I’m in Detroit right now for a conference…

The hotel we’re staying at is great…

We’ve had exquisite meals the last 2 nights..

And Detroit still sucks… it was a horrible choice for this event..

I find Atlanta marginally better…

In other news a group of grumpy old men who share a passion for traveling to Africa are unsure about traveling to Atlanta. Lol.

I grew up around Atlanta and spent about half my adult life in Atlanta. The facilities and ease of travel to Atlanta are a major benefit. There are too many amazing restaurants to begin to list them all. Plenty of good night life if that’s what you want.

I don’t get all the huffing and puffing. Besides, Maybe it will introduce DSC to a new market.

I disagree…

I’m in Detroit right now for a conference…

The hotel we’re staying at is great…

We’ve had exquisite meals the last 2 nights..

And Detroit still sucks… it was a horrible choice for this event..

I find Atlanta marginally better…
I personally don’t want to go to any city. However if there is a good hunting convention there I’m not going to complain. I am tired of the negativity around the DSC show in Atlanta. I hope it’s successful.

I’ll start with between SCI and DSC, I’ll go to whichever my work schedule better accommodates and that could end-up being the Dallas TTHA show just for an afternoon following a flight home.

I’ve been to SCI & DSC, as well as a majority of the major National Hunting/Shooting shows including several in Atlanta, like NRA and Blade Show. I’ve never had issues with Atlanta while at shows. Travel into Atlanta is VERY simple. I lived close by for several years so know a good number of restaurants off the beaten path. I also learned through experience what places to avoid while working in Atlanta. I think DSC in Atlanta will be fine and suspect they may actually break some attendance records. Below is my take on the two shows (good and bad).

IMO SCI is much bigger, more internationally focused and has a bigger African draw. SCI is a little more expensive, and you get more of the old money vibes. This was a bit of a negative for me. I definitely felt like/knew I wasn’t getting the same attention from a couple perspective outfitters on my list compared to some of the others I saw. SCI requiring you to be a member plus buy tickets is a higher cost and keeps a lot of the 1 Day local crowd out which I like from a shopping perspective. No one likes having to wait on tire kickers so this is a plus. If you’re a watch guy (OP is) you’ll be amazed what you see on people’s wrists.

DSC is a little more laid back and after hours is a little more of a party to my. There’s a lot of Texas Oil/Ranch money walking the show floor, but it doesn’t jump out at you the way it does at SCI. When DSC is in Dallas I‘Ll always try to visit, even if only for a partial day and evening like 2 years ago. I tend to see more people I know at DSC. As mentioned above my someone else the negative to DSC for me was the number of North American & Texas Exotic/Deer Outfitters at the show. I can get that in Harrisburg or TTHA if that’s what I’m shopping for. Lots of hunters in GA, AL, SC, NC, TN, KY, and FL which are all driving distance. I think this, plus the lower cost barrier for entry will benefit DSC being in Nashville and help their overall attendance numbers. I’m not sure if it’ll help the outfitters sell hunts and their auctions raise money since these non international outfitters are geared towards the local attendees coming on the weekend. I dislike DSC on Saturday due to said tire kickers. Less high end, non Rolex’s on wrists at DSC.

If I’m going to have a good time without an agenda DSC is my show. When i have an agenda and I’m shopping for a hunt or trying to narrow a few options down SCI is my choice. As an aside, if I had to pick just one show to attend in 2025, it’d be Sheep Show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KiaraStolt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa