FINALLY!!!

Meh. I have a lefty 404J along with the lefty 9.3x62. ;)
@sgt_zim
My mate @peter who is a lefty he only buys left handed.
One of his better buys was a Ruger in 338 federal with a spate factoy 7mm-08 barrel and a Remington 700 30-06 that came with a factory stainless 25-06 barrel that my gunsmith fitted for him. He paid $1,000 for the lot. Took the 25-06 to the range and loaded up some 100gn nosler balistic tips with 54gn of 2209/H4350. First group after sighting it in was three quarters of an inch.
Bob

Had to send the stock back, the pillar holes in the stock were off by enough I could only get the first thread of the pillar screws to start.

By the by, I know I need to be ready for a fairly wide variation in temps, potential lows in the 40s and highs in the upper 80s. I'm not worried about trousers so much, but what about jackets? I like fleece outer wear, but I'm not sure it'll hold up with the wait-a-minute vines and thorns.

Suggestions on outerwear are welcome.
I am not much on stock work would rather let someone who knows what they are doing, but I wonder it the pillar holes could not have been slightly enlarged and still work? just wondering

I am not much on stock work would rather let someone who knows what they are doing, but I wonder it the pillar holes could not have been slightly enlarged and still work? just wondering
rear pillar is aluminum bedded, didn't want to fool with that, plus it's a pretty thin wall between it and the trigger cutout. front pillar I could probably have filed out a bit to get what I needed.

planning on scraping out the barrel bed and filling it with some glass, whenever it gets back

My cartridge holder and belt just arrived from https://tredouxtrading.com

I'll take pictures later today. Gorgeous work, perfect fit for my 9.3 ammo.

If anyone is interested, his prices are very reasonable, from the date ordered to today, I think it's been about 5 weeks. Not bad for an order to RSA to come to Texas.

1695665505016.jpeg

Just relax and use the KISS principle. Start saving for trip 2 now though. Euro or pics can and will equal another hunt after shipping and taxidermy!
Gonna be hard to not shoulder mount wildebeest and gemsbok.

Gonna be hard to not shoulder mount wildebeest and gemsbok.
@sgt_zim
If you get a nice kudu that's not on your list I can see a shoulder mount, along with a nice Roland ward impala that will beg to be mounted.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

You can just take a lite and heavier fleece jackets and a fleece vest and you will be fine, that is pretty much what my outer wear is for africa trips. It will allow you to layer and adjust for the daily swing in temps.

You can just take a lite and heavier fleece jackets and a fleece vest and you will be fine, that is pretty much what my outer wear is for africa trips. It will allow you to layer and adjust for the daily swing in temps.
Agree, you will likely need something warm when leaving camp in the mornings, you can always shed it during the day as it warms up. On my last 2 safaris the temperature never got above 65 degrees except the one day it rained. These were in Limpopo in late May and the other was in the kalahari region of the Northwest province in mid June. We had a few mornings that were right at freezing.

Congrats on booking your trip. That 6.5 will be fun on warthogs and smaller antelope.

As far as clothing goes, my days in Namibia started with a cotton button up shirt under a fleece pullover under a polartec fleece zip up. Zip up was shed before leaving the cruiser and pullover was usually shed by 8:30 or so. Layering is key. BUT next time I will pack a stocking cap for those early morning drives. It was the only thing I regretted not having.

As far as footwear goes, I wore high top version of the Skecher tennis shoes I normally wear. Super comfortable but those vibram soles are noisy on hard ground which isn't something I normally deal with. I had to travel to Africa to figure that out. If it weren't for the thorns I would say my Converse would be the perfect southern Africa shoe.

Can your original stock be fixed? A little creativity and epoxy can go a long way. Maybe it's in an unfixable thin spot though?

Agree, you will likely need something warm when leaving camp in the mornings, you can always shed it during the day as it warms up. On my last 2 safaris the temperature never got above 65 degrees except the one day it rained. These were in Limpopo in late May and the other was in the kalahari region of the Northwest province in mid June. We had a few mornings that were right at freezing.
We'll be in Limpopo, right on the river across from Botswana. Lows in the 40s at that altitude and absence of humidity are practically t-shirt weather for me.

still going to buy another fleece jacket, because why not?

Can your original stock be fixed? A little creativity and epoxy can go a long way. Maybe it's in an unfixable thin spot though?
Kinda hard to see in this pic, but it's the best I can do. Crack is just to the left of both the red lines. Full thickness front to back and top to bottom.

1695740435717.png

We'll be in Limpopo, right on the river across from Botswana. Lows in the 40s at that altitude and absence of humidity are practically t-shirt weather for me.

still going to buy another fleece jacket, because why not?
Weather forecasters are the same the world over, looked up the weather for the closest town and they forecasted lows mid 40’s highs in the 70’s. Definitely missed the temperature and no mention of rain and had about 2 inches, just be prepared, I had to let my wife wear our jackets and fleece so she could tolerate the cold in the mornings but by midday it was normally in the 50’s heading to the mid 60’s and was as comfortable as it can get.

Congrats on booking your trip. That 6.5 will be fun on warthogs and smaller antelope.

As far as clothing goes, my days in Namibia started with a cotton button up shirt under a fleece pullover under a polartec fleece zip up. Zip up was shed before leaving the cruiser and pullover was usually shed by 8:30 or so. Layering is key. BUT next time I will pack a stocking cap for those early morning drives. It was the only thing I regretted not having.

As far as footwear goes, I wore high top version of the Skecher tennis shoes I normally wear. Super comfortable but those vibram soles are noisy on hard ground which isn't something I normally deal with. I had to travel to Africa to figure that out. If it weren't for the thorns I would say my Converse would be the perfect southern Africa shoe.
a nice pair of heavy canvas gaiters will fix that, my wife made me up a few pairs to give to those that did not think of them.

You could probably just do your best to force some glue or epoxy into the crack and then add a crossbolt of your choosing and have it good as new.
I agree, I would spread it apart ever so slightly and force epoxy in the crack and then epoxy in a cross bolt (drill first before epoxying the crack) and tighten it tightly I bet it would work great. is the recoil lug epoxied and does the tang have clearance also

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brym427

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?