FINALLY!!!

That matches my first list. Got them all plus a Black Wildebeest, waterbuck, springbok, white blesbuck and a red hartebeast...kind of blew my budget!
Red hartebeest and a buff cow...one of those is an extra i'm looking for

Have the time of your life and savor every moment!

Ha! Take extra cash And have a bit extra on hand for the final wire transfer. Five or six = nine in African math. :)

And enjoy every minute.

Had to send the stock back, the pillar holes in the stock were off by enough I could only get the first thread of the pillar screws to start.

By the by, I know I need to be ready for a fairly wide variation in temps, potential lows in the 40s and highs in the upper 80s. I'm not worried about trousers so much, but what about jackets? I like fleece outer wear, but I'm not sure it'll hold up with the wait-a-minute vines and thorns.

Suggestions on outerwear are welcome.
Yes, fleece or any knit or loose fabric will catch all manner of stuff and snag on everything. Light to medium weight Carhartt or similar canvas jacket along with thin leather utility gloves usually work well. Layering concept for where you are freezing in the morning and sweating by noon. Mid season there can be quite cold in the mornings. I prefer full length pants of poly-cotton ripstop. Gaiters keep aggravating debris out of your footwear. Various grass seeds are especially problematic. Enjoy the precious time there.

Several have made good points about having a bit of flexibility with your wish list. Trust your PH when it comes to trophy quality as you might encounter a world class animal not on your list that you’d likely regret later if you passed on the opportunity. Also as mentioned by others, sometimes opportunities come up for cull animals that the hunter would be proud to have but the trophy fee might be greatly reduced or in some cases even free. Have a plan but having some flexibility is good as well.

@sgt_zim
Red hartebeest was on my son's list. Beautiful animal and beautiful soft rust red skin that would make you a dandy hunting jacket. Red hartebeest back and Springbok or impala front. Would look great on you with a Stetson and a zebra hat band.
Bob

Agree 100 percent with Andrew on the socks. Good wool socks just as important as the boots.
@Jondnov
Used to love merino wool socks but after a hot day man o man they stunk.
Tried some hemp socks. They kept my feet dry and comfortable and NO PONG. They're all I will buy now. Still have my wool sox for winter tho.
Bob

A question on foot gear.

I have a nice pair of heavy-soled Merrills and a pair of vibram-soled Justin lacers. The lacers aren't great hiking boots, they're kinda heavy. But they have 10" heavy leather uppers.

My issue on finding boots is I wear 13B or 14A. I'd like to get a pair of Courtneys, but I imagine they'll flop around on my feet like my under armour slides.
You do not want heavy boots. Take the Merrills.

Absolutely! Have a list but be flexible too. You never know what treasures fate will send your way. Back in 2009, when I made my first trip, I could have added a Leopard for a trophy fee that today seems unbelievable. Been kicking myself for not taking the opportunity.
Being flexible, great advice!! On my last number of trips I have had the outfitter ask if I would be interested in a female eland, female sable, discounted zebra prices, you just never know what deal you may run into.

Sgt_zim, I see you are finally going to do it. Your choice of firearms is almost an exact duplicate of what I took on my first Safari. In lieu of your 9.3 X 62, I took a 35 Whelen. My "little" gun was a 6.5 X 55 Swedish Mauser. You'll have a BLAST!! I know I did.

on my April hunt I was going after a cow price 3000 but was also offered a management bull for 5000 so when the time came it was the bull in my picture and worth every penny. is Boyd's doing another stock for you? by any chance will a CZ550 magnum fit your action?

on my April hunt I was going after a cow price 3000 but was also offered a management bull for 5000 so when the time came it was the bull in my picture and worth every penny. is Boyd's doing another stock for you? by any chance will a CZ550 magnum fit your action?
IDK, haven't heard back from them yet.

Doubtful on the CZ550 action. My rifle is a lefty. ;)

Meh. I have a lefty 404J along with the lefty 9.3x62. ;)

I didn't send the stock back until a week ago yesterday, they only received it Thursday afternoon. If I don't hear back from them by tomorrow afternoon, I will start pestering them Tuesday.

They were pretty quick about getting my stock to me, 2 weeks from the time I ordered it, as I recall.

On my first safari, I took a Duluth Fire Hose Work coat and never used it once. On my second safari, I took a Cabelas Micro Berber pullover with Windstopper, which I wore the morning I shot my Sable. Unless you plan on hunting from a blind you won't need a warm outer layer on a daily basis. If you have an old military field jacket remove the liner and you'll be fine. As for footwear, broken-in and comfortable are far more critical than sole type or ankle support. Whatever you wear for a walk in the fall woods here in the USA will be fine for Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edvbg6

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!