Finally got my W.J. Jeffery 8-bore shooting!

@K E Johnson
Do you mean something like a shoulder mount 20mm or a 105mm howitzer.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

Funny you should say that... this gun fires a 21.59mm projectile... so a 20mm would be a step down in terms of bore size:E Rofl:.

Now if you will excuse me, I've done a fair bit of shooting this weekend and need an ice pack for the shoulder and a glass of scotch for the aching head :A Surrender::D Drunk:

I did some more shooting earlier today in an attempt to develop a ball load. Sadly, this did not yield positive results. The 1200gr bullets seem to work well, but impact about 4.5" above POA. The ball loads are right on POA but I keep getting wild fliers. The fliers are so bad and common that I can't even tell if my load is regulating properly. Plus, I believe the balls are causing more leading in the bore then I care for.

This has prompted me to give up on balls and instead consider light conical bullets. My thoughts are something like this mold or something even lighter in a 950-1000gr range.

1707628646741.png

Is there a way to patch the ball loads? I seem to remember paper patching in BP cartridge guns but I could be wrong.

Is there a way to patch the ball loads? I seem to remember paper patching in BP cartridge guns but I could be wrong.

An interesting idea, I don't think you can paper patch a ball, but a cloth patch would probably work. Now I don't think I could patch my current balls as they are slightly over bore size but maybe a smaller diameter ball with a greased patch might work.

The thing is, I don't know if it would be worth the trouble. Accurate Molds makes some very nice custom molds, and he would likely be able to whip me up something that will work for a very reasonable price.

I did some more shooting earlier today in an attempt to develop a ball load. Sadly, this did not yield positive results. The 1200gr bullets seem to work well, but impact about 4.5" above POA. The ball loads are right on POA but I keep getting wild fliers. The fliers are so bad and common that I can't even tell if my load is regulating properly. Plus, I believe the balls are causing more leading in the bore then I care for.

This has prompted me to give up on balls and instead consider light conical bullets. My thoughts are something like this mold or something even lighter in a 950-1000gr range.

View attachment 586491

Attachments

• 0730170904.jpg
    0730170904.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 71
In the center, 750gr round ball. 900gr short and 1800gr long bullet. This is for my small 8 bore flintlock 20mm barrel. All three work good in mine, but the round ball is patched and it is a gain twist barrel. I think your on the right track with the short bullet.

In the center, 750gr round ball. 900gr short and 1800gr long bullet. This is for my small 8 bore flintlock 20mm barrel. All three work good in mine, but the round ball is patched and it is a gain twist barrel. I think your on the right track with the short bullet.
I got my start in hunting with a traditional muzzleloader and greatly enjoy flintlock guns! Please post pictures of your rifle!

A bit of bad news, I just tried to put two cartridges across the chronograph and my Lab Radar just simply isn't able to pick them up. I think it might be the fiber particles from the wads creating a screen, preventing the radar from picking up the bullet. There is quite a large amount of fiber thrown into the air for a long distance.

I got my start in hunting with a traditional muzzleloader and greatly enjoy flintlock guns! Please post pictures of your rifle!

0726171846a~2.jpg
0726171843.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Stayed home from work today due to not feeling well, and of course today is the day my new chronograph decides to show up. After a very brief argument with myself over whether it's a good idea to shoot the 8-bore while sick, I proceed to load up some 1200gr bullets over 67gr of Blue Dot. (I have never claimed to be an intelligent person)

First, I did a couple of quick tests with another rifle to make sure the new chronograph was reading properly. Then I fired a shot from each barrel of the 8-bore over the chronograph. Sadly, the first shot gave a faulty reading (those dang wads again) but I got something useful from the second shot. So, a single reading yields 1326fps with my current 1200gr load.

A bit on the slow side, but not unexpected. I believe tweaking the powder charge to 67.5gr and using some proper primers, should yield both a better velocity and decent regulation.

And for those curious if it's a good idea to shoot an 8-bore while sick... no... no its not. My head was pounding for about 10 minutes after the second shot. The things we do for love! :Dead:

Last edited:
Thanks to another member here, I was able to get some proper primers. Here is todays shooting in the yard, again distance is something like 47 yards (size of my yard). The first two shots were perfect! The second two shots were less than ideal. I fired these without much of a break between shots, which makes me wonder if perhaps my lubricant isn't up to the task? I'm just using a basic mix of beeswax and tallow, which might not be up to the task. I'm new to the world of lubricated cast bullets and will need to do some research.

IMG_20240302_141916572_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240302_141910682_HDR.jpg

Both groups are minute of moose. the first group is spot on. Once you get lube settled you might also want to try paper patching.

Never paper patched a bullet before, but I've seen videos on how to do it. I would need a special bullet made for the task. Does it provide a big advantage over standard lubed bullets?

You would need a bullets smaller than the one you are using that is lubed. You could probably run the ones you have through a smaller sizing die to try out the process. The paper patching allows a faster bullet without having the barrel lead.

You would need a bullets smaller than the one you are using that is lubed. You could probably run the ones you have through a smaller sizing die to try out the process. The paper patching allows a faster bullet without having the barrel lead.
Know anyone who makes a sizing die for a .850" bullet? I haven't been sizing them. My mold drops them at 0.852" and about 0.01" gets shaved off when I push them into the cases.

As soon as I get a break in the bad weather I'm going to give something a try. I just loaded two cartridges with 275gr of 2F black powder under a ball. The regulating load for this gun was 10 drams or 273gr of black powder but I happen to know my black powder is a little weak, so I added a few grains. This load will still likely be a little slow, but it's just for fun and the experience anyway.

As soon as I get a break in the bad weather I'm going to give something a try. I just loaded two cartridges with 275gr of 2F black powder under a ball. The regulating load for this gun was 10 drams or 273gr of black powder but I happen to know my black powder is a little weak, so I added a few grains. This load will still likely be a little slow, but it's just for fun and the experience anyway.
@matt85
Do you load that amount of powder with a shovel. A pound of powder sure wouldn't go far.
Bob

@matt85
Do you load that amount of powder with a shovel. A pound of powder sure wouldn't go far.
Bob

You are absolutely correct, I would only get 25 shots to the pound with this load!

Curiosity has me wanting to try it. If I'm able to figure out how much powder will replicate the original load, then I will still be able to shoot the gun after I run out of Blue Dot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldFran

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]