Epoxy on, two-piece barrel band swivel?

clockwork_7mm_gator

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Gents,

I'm planning to use epoxy (West) to attach a barrel band swivel base. Can anyone recommend a clamp-on/two-piece product?

(Before you say scrap it and solder, this is on a project rifle and I've committed to doing all the work myself.)

Thanks y'all.

Attachments

• One Piece Barrel Band - Swivel Sets.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 44
  • Two Piece Barrel Band - Swivel Sets.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
You should be able to silver solder it. Mini hot torch can be bought at most hardware outlets and I believe Midway has an online video showing how to attach barrel band swivels with silver solder.

Good on you for doing as much of the build project as you can. I did everything but open the bolt face and attach the barrel. I didn't silver solder anything on my gun (but I could have). Don't care for barrel band sling swivels. Prefer my rifle, like my pack, slung high rather than low. My sling swivels are in conventional locations.

I think I would be concerned about expansion and contraction of hot rifle barrel releasing the epoxy. And there's the harmonic vibration to consider.

Half of a lifetime ago, I saw an article on installing a barrel band. The front sight was installad with screws so could be removed then a barrel band, just slightly small, was heated and driven onto a scrap barrel with similar taper to new barrel and stretched until it would fit the new barrel perfectly. Had to be polished and blued, but if your front sight is removable that may be an option and if the epoxy slipped, front sight would at least keep your sling from popping off.

Was lucky on a search-
Or this-
[/URL]
I’ve used this one successfully on two rifles. No problems so far.

TR - any chance you'd mind showing me photos of how they look on the rifle? Would greatly appreciate it!

Check midway. They had a clamp on when I looked a while ago. It went all the way around the barrel.

If you can get your front sight off I would HIGHLY recommend using a one piece band from Talley or Gentry. I have a strong dislike for the clamp on style, but if you want to anchor it you are probably on the right track using epoxy. I just put barrel bands on two of my rifles this past year, one from Gentry, one from Talley. And if you must use a clamp on I agree with CJW, try to find one that goes around the barrel and clamps at bottom.

Here is a pic of the Gentry band I installed on my .375 barrel. One piece solid band, sized to barrel. Driven on tight with a block of wood and mallet, secured with epoxy. I coated the barrel and inside of band with epoxy prior to driving it on, then cleaned up excess. Make sure inside is polished smooth so as not to scratch your bluing. Measure barrel a bit above where you want the band to end up, then it will get tight on a tapered barrel.
resized gentry pic.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Edgarfrutt

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.