What scope rings are preferred?

RootballExpress

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I am going to be putting a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20 on my Win Mod 70 416 Rem Mag.

What brand scope rings would you guys prefer? Any bases required as well? First time ever owning a Win Model 70.

Thank you in advance!

On a 416 I’m assuming you want QD?

I pretty much use Warne steel rings on everything whenever I can.

There are some ring/mount combo 1 piece options like Talley… but in most cases you’re going to need both a set of bases and a set of rings…

I used the same Winchester M70 Safari Express 416 Rem Mag except mounted with a Leupold VXII 1-4 scope on our first African hunt. I used Leupold QR rings and bases. I fired over 200 rounds in preparation with zero issues. I felt it a nice set up.

I‘m presently using Warne QD rings on my present big bore, CZ 416 Rigby, and am very pleased with them so far.

Another vote for Warne QD rings. I use them on both my 30-06 and 404 Jeffery. Both rifles have backup iron sights. I bought my third set of these rings this year for $65. A muzzle loader online store was clearing them out. With that scope and that gun I think you should go with "low" rings. VX3 1.5-5 scope has no aperture bell so clearance with barrel or bolt handle should not be an issue. A low mounted scope should make for quick acquisition and less felt recoil.

One thing to keep in mind: it's very hard to find Warne QD rings in anything but matte finish. Some folks who are cosmetically overwhelmed may not find that acceptable with glossy gun and scope. Doesn't bother me.

Last edited:
Another vote for Warne QD rings. I use them on both my 30-06 and 404 Jeffery. Both rifles have backup iron sights. I bought my third set of these rings this year for $65. A muzzle loader online store was clearing them out. With that scope and that gun I think you should go with "low" rings. VX3 1.5-5 scope has no aperture bell so clearance with barrel or bolt handle should not be an issue. A low mounted scope should make for quick acquisition and less felt recoil.

One thing to keep in mind: it's very hard to find Warne QD rings in anything but matte finish. Some folks who are cosmetically overwhelmed may not find that acceptable with glossy gun and scope. Doesn't bother me.
Edit: Should read " ... objective lens bell" not aperture bell. Half awake!

I had Warne QD rings on my CZ550 375H&H that mounted the scope directly to the recoil notch and dovetails in the double square bridge. Zero issues with that rig.

However you will require bases to mount between the receiver and rings. For a DG rifle, you want to keep the area over the magazine open as much as possible for easy access to top load. This means a two-piece base.

I’d highly recommend the Talley magnum bases (.330) and two-screw QD rings for your setup. Once you get it them where you want, use BLUE or PURPLE Loctite to hold the fasteners in place. Please do not use RED Loctite, as this is designed to make a nearly permanent bond.

The only thing I’m not sure of is the height of the rings required for clearance between the bolt handle and the scope. There are others here with more experience than me on the M70 and this scope who can advise you on this.

Last edited:
I really like the Alaska Arms rings and used those for a long time. But, I have recently converted to EAW pivot mounts on my two best rifles, and I am a big fan of these. They really are a different beast.

I am a Talley fan. Use Talley on all my rifles with zero failures in all my years of hunting.

I have a one-piece base on my standard Mauser built 404J. I was kinda compelled to go that route because the donor action had already been tapped for it. Apparently, military Mauser actions with the stripper clip port required one-piece due to screw placement. Anyway, I have had no difficulty loading this rifle when it's wearing a scope with low Warne QD rings and either of two different one-piece bases. Both bases have a cutout for loading. Warne, Leupold, and Redfield one-piece bases all have similar cutout for loading. I believe Talley also makes a one-piece base. Leupold and Redfield are proprietary for their rings. Warne QD rings are designed to clamp onto standard p-rail or old Weaver bases. In my opinion, it's a cosmetics issue. I would have liked two-piece bases but that would have required some welding and grinding to modify my receiver. I would have done it if it turned out loading was an issue. But loading is not a problem. And OP's Model 70 is CRF with "snap over" so he can always drop a round in the chamber to quickly refire his empty rifle. One-piece rail won't impede that.

Some scope/rifle combinations will require one-piece rail for proper eye relief. My Springfield 03A3 wore two-piece bases for forty years. Then I changed scopes to a Nikon 3-9x with a short tube. In order to bring the scope back for best eye relief, I had to switch to a one-piece semi-pic rail with multiple slots for rings. The rail was not expensive so figured I'd give it a try. If it didn't work out, get another scope and go back to two-piece bases. But no problems loading. It also has the cutout. But the OP has chosen a scope with no bell on the objective lens end so this will not be an issue for him. He can move his scope wherever needed in the rings for eye relief. His Model 70 should be tapped for two-piece bases (though one-piece bases made for that rifle will use same screw pattern). I don't believe their magnum rifles have integral bases machined in the receiver?

Last edited:
There are no standard height in rings. For example, "low" Warne rings are only just slightly lower than Weaver "medium" height rings. Either Midway or Brownellls has a chart on their website listing ring heights for various manufacturers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthaMcCl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.