Elephant hunting Paranoid

archeryblackdog

AH member
Reaction score
Good day everyone; I write this post since I believe am trapped in a spiral of negative emotions instead of excitement……

I am leaving for Namibia in 03 days to trophy elephant hunt ; which is a new for me (I have hunted Rhino, Lion, Buffalo (02) and hippo). So about a month ago I began watching YouTube videos of elephant hunting and began reading 02 books one of them a really good one (white hunters). Well in all the videos either the elephant charges or it doesn’t drop to the head shoot; besides in the book all the top PH’s of the time end up dead while elephant hunting.

So now all I think of is negative pessimistic crap which ends up bad for me. It does not help that a grind which organices hunts for clients in Europe with outfitters in Africa how had a client hunting in Namibia, placed a shoot tracked the elephant but the elephant crossed to Botswana and he lost the animal, the hunt and his money of course.

So I would like to hear from those that have elephant hunt in okabango in Botswana or Namibia your opinion if I am falling in a paranoid spiral and I should relax or if indeed I have sign up for something that requires to write my will…….

So the truth now please!

I can remember having similar feelings before a hunt. Mine were more the responsibility to make a good proper first shot and keep the rest of the team safe. If you have practiced with your gun off sticks and studied anatomy then put those thoughts in the background and concentrate on the job at hand. If you have ever been an athlete this is pre-game prep. Get your head straight and let your practice kick in. Good luck!

This isn’t Botswana or Namibia. The only elephant I’ve been in contact with were in Mozambique, this was years ago and the cows were pretty cheeky. They had been harassed for many years during the civil war and rampant poaching. The bulls were a little calmer. I never felt threatened until a cow herd was confronted in some natives fields but it turned out fine. I’ve only shot 1 elephant it was a brain shot at 10yds on a PAC cow but if I was hunting a trophy bull I would take a shoulder shot, when shot they tend to run in whatever direction they are pointing and blow blood and pile up shortly.
I guess my advice would be shoot straight as possible trust and listen to your PH and enjoy.

Go for a heart shot..if correctly placed the animal will walk max. 100m..

In most of the videos where I’ve seen charges, the opening shot was not properly done. STUDY ELEPHANT ANATOMY.

Things happen and the hunting of elephants absolutely must be treated with respect and seriousness. But it goes well the vast majority of the time.

Hunted ele in Namibia in 2022. It was great. Have fun. Study all the shots, because you don’t know what you’ll get, but a broadside chest shot is pretty reliable.

It’s not very macho for me to admit to this on social media, but I personally have a subconscious fear of elephants ever since 2006.

I’ve previously successfully hunted two bull tuskers in Botswana & Zimbabwe.
IMG_1377.jpeg
IMG_1790.jpeg

But I was almost nearly killed by a charging bull elephant myself in 2006 during a hunt gone wrong. I was using a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum Musgrave loaded with Prvi Partizan 300Gr round nosed copper jacketed FMJ solid factory loads.

Unfortunately, the bull had charged and I had made an ineffectual frontal brain shot. That bull would have flattened me like a pancake, had my white hunter Devon not successfully downed him with a more efficient frontal brain shot. Devon was armed with a .505 Gibbs magazine rifle which was built by John Bolliger on a Granite Mountain Arms African Magnum Mauser action. His bullet of choice was the South African all-brass flat nosed 600Gr DZOMBO MK. VI monometal solid propelled at 2150 fps.

Later, I found out that my Prvi Partizan 300Gr copper jacketed FMJ “solid” bullet had broken up on the elephant’s skull bone and completely split it’s thinnish copper jacket.

I had requested Devon not to shoot unless he saw me get in trouble. And I for one, am immensely glad that he chose to intervene & save my life when he did. In 50 years of hunting African dangerous game (from 1974-present), this was the closest an African dangerous game animal has ever come to killing me.

Ever since then, I’ve continued to hunt many more members of the African Big Five over the years- Cape buffalo, hippopotamus, leopard, lion (the rhinoceros is the only member of the African Big Five which I’m yet to hunt even a single specimen of till now). But I’ve always subconsciously been putting off opportunities to hunt elephants again. But I really am determined to overcome this subconscious fear of mine someday soon and hunt more elephants in the near future (I’d really like to hunt tuskless cow elephants someday soon and also a big Tanzanian bull).

My advice to you is this:
- It’s definitely okay to be a little afraid. It will stop you from getting reckless. But don’t let your fear prevent you from keeping a cool head.
- Go for a broadside double lung shot, since its’s the widest target on an elephant’s body & permits for the greatest possible margin for error. Moreover, an elephant that’s been shot through both the lungs seldom charges and is bound to give out before going 120 yards.
- Use only the calibers above .400 bore (.450 is even better & .500 is a real Godsend to the aspiring elephant hunter who can handle the recoil) with well constructed heavy-for-weight solids.

Good day everyone; I write this post since I believe am trapped in a spiral of negative emotions instead of excitement……

I am leaving for Namibia in 03 days to trophy elephant hunt ; which is a new for me (I have hunted Rhino, Lion, Buffalo (02) and hippo). So about a month ago I began watching YouTube videos of elephant hunting and began reading 02 books one of them a really good one (white hunters). Well in all the videos either the elephant charges or it doesn’t drop to the head shoot; besides in the book all the top PH’s of the time end up dead while elephant hunting.

So now all I think of is negative pessimistic crap which ends up bad for me. It does not help that a grind which organices hunts for clients in Europe with outfitters in Africa how had a client hunting in Namibia, placed a shoot tracked the elephant but the elephant crossed to Botswana and he lost the animal, the hunt and his money of course.

So I would like to hear from those that have elephant hunt in okabango in Botswana or Namibia your opinion if I am falling in a paranoid spiral and I should relax or if indeed I have sign up for something that requires to write my will…….

So the truth now please!
I certainly understand your fears and they are real. I have a couple of thoughts for you. I have hunted elephant in Namibia and Zimbabwe and have been in camp many times where elephant hunts were taking place. I have been around the fire with people who have witnessed an elephant killing a person. Firstly, after hunting tuskless elephant in Zim, hunting a bull will Be a much less stressful and dangerous situation. The tuskless hunt is truly dangerous and a charge is likely if you do it enough. This is not to say tracking bulls is without its dangers.
If you will choose a large caliber rifle (above .375) and learn to shoot it very well your chances of failure are low. Elephants are not that hard to kill. Their heart and lungs are gigantic! I mention this because many PH's are reluctant to allow an inexperienced person to take a brain shot so better to focus on a good shot to the vitals.
I am going to sidetrack a bit and mention how many cat hunts are being messed up these days putting the PH's lives at risk. Dalton had just shot a charging lion before we arrived in camp while York shot a charging wounded leopard while we were in camp (just a coup,e miles away from us while we slept peacefully). Two Zim PH's were badly mauled by leopards while we were in camp. This is happening way too often yet it is the easiest shot on safari.
I bring this up to advise you and everyone doing a DG hunt to attend the SAAM Safari shooting course in Texas. It will truly prepare you to take your elephant safely. You will shoot all kinds of targets, walk and stalk elephant, shoot charging buffalo, and shoot a leopard out of a tree. People say it is too expensive but I say how much is your life or the life of your PH worth?
Yes the danger is real. Be very prepared.

Regards,
Philip

You will have a PH with you. You will be fine. The important thing is to make sure you are confident of your first shot.

Head shots in an elephant aren’t as easy as they look. It takes a lot of awareness of angles to hit a target you can’t see.

Body shots are much easier. Side brain is easier than frontal. You need to be prepared for any of them. I’m not sure if you can get them in time, but the Buzz Charlton videos are a must for any elephant hunter. Boddington recommends body shots for first time hunters.

Body shots are also more effective than you would think. It brings them down pretty quick.

Cows are a lot sketchier than bulls.

Have to get right mentally brother. If you've studied the anatomy, practiced with your rifle, and are capable physically....just go get the job done. Success starts with confidence, you've hunted some big stuff, don't let the elephant lore get to you.

Isn't that kind of the point? I've never been so scared as I got when elephant hunting, and when around cow elephant on foot. It was the most incredible rush. The feeling is hard to describe. A mixture of exhilaration and fear and adrenaline. I crave it. I wanna go back and do it again so badly. I think about it every day. Seriously.

I just got back from an Elephant Hunt in the Caprivi Strip Sunday…
don’t overthink it lol..
go have fun and enjoy your hunt and experience.
enjoy the search…the tracking…
enjoy being near and around magnificent elephant
you will have a great experience
Be confident in yourself and your experience.
imagine that moment in your mind and simply execute when you get your opportunity.
I probably saw 300+ Elephant (mostly in the Parks) and had a great hunt
what area are you hunting?

Last edited:
Anyone who knowingly approaches life threatening danger who isn't at least a little scared is a fool. Paranoia, nervousness, fear... are all sort of the same to most of us.

A little fear will heighten your awareness and sharpen your skills. Overconfidence could get you killed!

Courage occurs when one overcomes their natural fear to accomplish the task.

The military, fireman, and so on train, train, train how to perform critical tasks until theirs actions are written in their subscouncious.

Listen to your PH and you will succeed!

I certainly understand your fears and they are real. I have a couple of thoughts for you. I have hunted elephant in Namibia and Zimbabwe and have been in camp many times where elephant hunts were taking place. I have been around the fire with people who have witnessed an elephant killing a person. Firstly, after hunting tuskless elephant in Zim, hunting a bull will Be a much less stressful and dangerous situation. The tuskless hunt is truly dangerous and a charge is likely if you do it enough. This is not to say tracking bulls is without its dangers.
If you will choose a large caliber rifle (above .375) and learn to shoot it very well your chances of failure are low. Elephants are not that hard to kill. Their heart and lungs are gigantic! I mention this because many PH's are reluctant to allow an inexperienced person to take a brain shot so better to focus on a good shot to the vitals.
I am going to sidetrack a bit and mention how many cat hunts are being messed up these days putting the PH's lives at risk. Dalton had just shot a charging lion before we arrived in camp while York shot a charging wounded leopard while we were in camp (just a coup,e miles away from us while we slept peacefully). Two Zim PH's were badly mauled by leopards while we were in camp. This is happening way too often yet it is the easiest shot on safari.
I bring this up to advise you and everyone doing a DG hunt to attend the SAAM Safari shooting course in Texas. It will truly prepare you to take your elephant safely. You will shoot all kinds of targets, walk and stalk elephant, shoot charging buffalo, and shoot a leopard out of a tree. People say it is too expensive but I say how much is your life or the life of your PH worth?
Yes the danger is real. Be very prepared.

Regards,
Philip
Pricey, but looks like a very good course.

I suspect the elephant feels a version of this same fear and apprehension when it goes out in the morning. Of course this is what makes such a hunt unique when compared to less dangerous animals and is perhaps one of the most “balanced“ types of hunting!

The fear and apprehension are part of the price of the ticket for such an amazing experience! All the best!

Would you have it any other way?

You are about to leave on a hunt for the greatest game animal on earth. There is NOTHING that matches hunting elephants! You’re a fortunate man and I’m happy for you. I’ve only shot 2 bull elephants, both in Zimbabwe,. The fire to hunt them again burns strong in me as they are incredible animals to hunt. I am planning another elephant hunt in Zimbabwe which will probably happen in three or four years since I have a few other safaris already booked for the next two years. Besides, the area I want to hunt is booked a few years out anyway.

Yes, elephants are very dangerous, but you’ll have an experienced PH by your side to guide and protect you. You’ll walk a lot, see many elephants and that experience being around them will help you when the time comes to take your bull. Hunting elephants is an adrenaline packed adventure!

More than anything, study elephant anatomy and be as familiar with where to place your shot when the time comes. Body shots are very lethal and easier than brain shots. The side brain shot is much easier than a frontal brain shot since the aiming point on a frontal shot changes as a bull lifts or lowers his head. But, a properly placed brain shot will be instantly fatal. Your shot will likely be off sticks at 20-40 yards, so hopefully that’s how you’ve practiced. My 2 bulls were shot at 9 and 25 yards. Nine is a bit closer than anyone wants!

Enjoy every moment of your hunt and by all means, please do post a report with pictures. You’re about to enjoy a hunt for one of the truly great game animals that walk this planet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthaMcCl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.