Elk at 688 yards with a 243

The gun looks little in your hands. Like BB gun in the hands of giant.

Generous indeed. It appeared quite lively and strong to me. What's the parent case for this?

I only saw you shoot it once...how many shots did you take?

Hi mate,
The parent case is the .300 Win Mag (y)
Personally, I find the recoil in the 425 Express very snappy and fast - more unpleasant than the .458 Win Mag.
In fact, when googling the 425 Express that was the chief complaint - recoil.
Even compared to the 404 Jeffery which gives the same ballistics, the opinion was the 425 Express seemed to kicked more...
Dunno why...? Higher pressure? Case design? Not sure... it's just what l read and l found it to be true when firing it compared to my .458

Russ

Ok, I actually thought there was something about her long range accomplishment in an earlier post, maybe not.

Who cares? Bob cares , he likes to bag the .,243 and I find it amusing. I was arguing with someone on Facebook earlier about chamfering the crimp from a primer pocket. I almost tagged Bob as this guy was saying don't remove brass from the case head.

Yes, fair enough but millions of people must be doing that and companies produce the tool for it so confused as I thought it was an accepted practice.

On that occasion I wanted Bob to back me up because I reckon he woulda on that. But, I do know he mentioned a swaging tool In regards to another issue .

I did ask this guy politely to elaborate as I'm pretty sure chamfering is common practice although there may be alternative s
@CBH Australia
You are 100% correct Chris a lot of people chamfer primer pockets. The primer pocket swager is designed to remove the crimps some companies like federal and the military put on for semi and full aut fire. This tool removes that crimp in one easy step.
Bob

Hi mate,
The parent case is the .300 Win Mag (y)
Personally, I find the recoil in the 425 Express very snappy and fast - more unpleasant than the .458 Win Mag.
In fact, when googling the 425 Express that was the chief complaint - recoil.
Even compared to the 404 Jeffery which gives the same ballistics, the opinion was the 425 Express seemed to kicked more...
Dunno why...? Higher pressure? Case design? Not sure... it's just what l read and l found it to be true when firing it compared to my .458

Russ
@Badboymelvin
Russ my brain must work different to others mate. With that stock and recoil pad plus they way it seems to fit and the way I hold it firm against the shoulder I don't find the recoil that snappy or objectionable.
Could be the body mass of me plus the way I stand and roll with the recoil that seems to reduce it.
I tried posting a video of me shooting it but it didn't work. Maybe you could post it and see what others think.
Bob

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen Russ is just normal size and you are a Big Pr!ck.
He's a solid little fella but probably normal height like most of us.
Speaking of snappy my brothers Browning X Bolt in .308 seems "Snappy", for a .308 at least. Horrible little thing.
We both carry a little weight but it's still a turd.

@CBH Australia
You are 100% correct Chris a lot of people chamfer primer pockets. The primer pocket swager is designed to remove the crimps some companies like federal and the military put on for semi and full aut fire. This tool removes that crimp in one easy step.
Bob
Thanks Bob.
It was in a FB hunting forum and when I mentioned that some use a tool to chamfer the crimp I was advised that "One should not remove brass from the base of a case"
I politely asked him to elaborate etc, in short I was told chamfering was in fact removing brass from the base and to research it.
Again I was polite, I suggested that many US manufacturers in the land of litigation would be mindful of selling a product that may weaken the brass.
Before I could tag you "One" had deleted his three posts, I can only assume to Don' his Tweeds and flush the Pheasants with his Purdey or perhaps it was to stalk a Red Stag in the Highlands with the Rigby.
Yes, I like nice things but I'm not pretentious. I looked at Rigby boots and knives through Queensland Gun Exchange then bought Courtney boots without the little blue Rigby tag, and my bespoke knife is a Custom made Von Gruff made to our collaborative design that is now one of his listed models . It's been handled by esteemed members of the AH community and wears an Aussie Redgum handle sourced by me and stabilised by the master craftsman himself.

Last edited:
Who cares? Bob cares , he likes to bag the .,243 and I find it amusing. I was arguing with someone on Facebook earlier about chamfering the crimp from a primer pocket. I almost tagged Bob as this guy was saying don't remove brass from the case head.

Yes, fair enough but millions of people must be doing that and companies produce the tool for it so confused as I thought it was an accepted practice.

On that occasion I wanted Bob to back me up because I reckon he woulda on that. But, I do know he mentioned a swaging tool In regards to another issue .

I did ask this guy politely to elaborate as I'm pretty sure chamfering is common practice although there may be alternative s
Who cares what her partners name is because she didn't marry him so she could keep her gun bunny options open. The article I saw he wrote and was sort of toying at staking his claim. It was pathetic. The photo was captioned with the author/partner.

Chamfer removes brass. Swaging does not. I don't know which is best. It's such a minimal amount of brass.

I have seen cases over chamfered to where a primer would hardly stay in the pocket. These were purchased by a buddy as fully processed once fired cases.
Personally I swage mine. It works pretty well, but it can be hard to seat primers. The pockets seem a lot tighter than on commercial brass.
Which is better, I don’t know.

Looks like thread drift has had it's affect here. I just watched the OP's video. My rough calculation is that impact velocity would be around 1850 fps....(.does that sound right?) Cow elk are hunted for 6 months where I live. They are stressed, on edge, and wary. At 700 yards away, they used to be safe. Relatively, anyway. They use distance for safety. Now a child with a 243 is a danger. Their future is changing...............thanks for vid. I used to shoot the old 105 grain Speer in my 243.......marginal accuracy for me............never shot the long VLD, no need to.....it wouldn't stabilize anyway, but my skill level does not allow for 700 yd shooting. I met with the folks from Greybull when they were starting out....they know their stuff for sure...........but every scope manufacturer has now horned in on the idea. Never forget that your target is a living, breathing creature with an inherent right to live. I don't feel guilty about eating elk steak, but .... this is just a game. That's all. You don't NEED that elk steak. Play fair, be responsible.....caveat: I didn't (and am not gonna) read the 18 pages of this thread......good hunting.....................FWB

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen Russ is just normal size and you are a Big Pr!ck.
He's a solid little fella but probably normal height like most of us.
Speaking of snappy my brothers Browning X Bolt in .308 seems "Snappy", for a .308 at least. Horrible little thing.
We both carry a little weight but it's still a turd.
@CBH Australia
Define normal. I'm the little one in my family out of the 1 boys. My brother is 6'9" and was 174kg now about 140kg.
My mate Greg has a Tikka 308 that weighs a bit over 7# field ready that's very nice to shoot despite its light weight.
Bob

@CBH Australia
Define normal. I'm the little one in my family out of the 1 boys. My brother is 6'9" and was 174kg now about 140kg.
My mate Greg has a Tikka 308 that weighs a bit over 7# field ready that's very nice to shoot despite its light weight.
Bob

So your brother is above average.

There is no worries with the Tikka, I have several. The Browning however seems to react differently. The Browning .308 rifle recoil is snappy .

Who cares what her partners name is because she didn't marry him so she could keep her gun bunny options open. The article I saw he wrote and was sort of toying at staking his claim. It was pathetic. The photo was captioned with the author/partner.

Chamfer removes brass. Swaging does not. I don't know which is best. It's such a minimal amount of brass.

Way to derail a thread.

They don't have to marry to be together. Doesn't mean she's keeping her options open. It may mean he hasn't asked her. It may mean one or both don't see a legal agreement based on an oath as the only way to be either happy or committed.

So your brother is above average.

There is no worries with the Tikka, I have several. The Browning however seems to react differently. The Browning .308 rifle recoil is snappy .
@CBH Australia
Chris to us its average height. My 2 sons and daughter are below average. They topped out at a bit over six foot to about six four.. Ah well we can't all have height, good looks, great bodies and above average intelligence.
Pity I only got the height and missed out on all the rest.
Bob

@CBH Australia
Chris to us its average height. My 2 sons and daughter are below average. They topped out at a bit over six foot to about six four.. Ah well we can't all have height, good looks, great bodies and above average intelligence.
Pity I only got the height and missed out on all the rest.
Bob
I didn't even get height. :(

I always wonder whether people would make such shots if there was a 4K trophy fee (or whatever it should be to mater) riding on it, and a loss of hunting privileges in your state if you wound. That is sorta how it works in places where the animal, and it's welfare are not valued at zero.

I also wonder when every animal in NA has been taken in fare chase with a longbow (by one person to boot), why it is these people think they should be held in any higher regard than the people who take buses to the end of the Boston marathon. Short range rifle harvesting hunting is practical, most people don't have years to set up a longbow shot in a high challenge situation. One guy who is world famous on whitetails has over 80 treestands set up. So rifle hunting at shorter ranges, is ethical, can be challenging and is practical. Practices that are high potential for wounding, and impractical may be masquerading as worthy of respect.

This falls under the heading of “just because you can, doesn’t mean you should”???
That would be the best case. With editable video it also potentially falls into the "just because you can't...."

Over the years, with shooters, maybe only the math challenged ones, I have noticed a tendency to not understand the many sources of error, and how they accumulate. Comments such as "the rifle shoots better than I can hold".

I find these types of videos do more harm than good for the sport of hunting. The distance doesn't bother me as much as the caliber. There are so many variables involved in this type of shot, that having a caliber and bullet that is being pushed to its limits, for ethical hunting a cow elk, leaves to many options for a wounded animal to risk the shot. But that's just me.

All these types of videos are shot and edited to show perfect results. You never see the ones that don't and what there results are of the wounding of the animal with a caliber that shouldn't have been used at that distance.

/end of my preaching

I live in an area where I can practice and hunt game at long distances. I do, from time to time, take very long shots at game. I pass up more than I take for a variety of reason. Mostly because I can get closer. The others are because the rifle rest, atmospheric conditions, animals placement and so on are not acceptable for taking a shot and worth the risk of wounded the animal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoellaMath

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!