Double Rifle for Your First Safari?

When I purchased my double nostalgia was certainly part of the decision, but functionality was way out in front. I am very intolerant of poor design, and you just can’t argue against simple, efficient, works every time functionality that a double brings. Open it, putin two rounds, close it, fire. No short stroking, no miss feed, no overpass, no failed ejection. What other idiosyncrasies am I missing?
Kevin I have a pretend scenario for you.
If using a semi auto rifle were legal, and if there was a semiautomatic rifle made that would fire a 40 caliber 400 grain bullet at 2200fps, and if it was well balanced and carried nicely, would you still use your double? Would you still think it’s the best option?
I know the above rifle doesn’t exist and yours is very real, but let’s pretend, I’m just looking for your prospective.

There was a German Blaser like this as well

View attachment 545187
View attachment 545188
Yes, did ever go into production? The French model was still around a few years ago and may still be. I was surprised at how lite they claimed. It also came in big bore.
If using a semi auto rifle were legal, and if there was a semiautomatic rifle made that would fire a 40 caliber 400 grain bullet at 2200fps, and if it was well balanced and carried nicely, would you still use your double? Would you still think it’s the best option?
I know the above rifle doesn’t exist and yours is very real, but let’s pretend, I’m just looking for your prospective.
that rifle does exist, abet custom. I’ve seen a few 458 browning bars and 416 Taylor’s and maybe there are some 375/338s.

Come on OT your above statement is a little unrealistic for a few reasons.
The Gun makers of the day (As now im sure) would not have given there guns out free of charge! Hunting DG is just that Dangerous and they would have been well aware of the headlines "White Hunter killed because xyz gun failed"
They had no control over these rifles and doubles once they left the shop.
Also you don't just walk in off the street and buy one. They take up to 18 months or more to make.
There rifles and doubles sold because of the makers names on them.
A lot of White hunters got scribbled because, 1:They made mistakes (unlimited reasons) 2:There Clients made mistakes 3:They were just unlucky.
Africa as you well know is and easy place to get snuffed out. The Gun makers know this and that is why they would not have just handed out there product to flavour of the month.
You just need to read "White Hunters" by Brain Herne to see who made it and then the very long list of who did not.
Danger comes with dangerous game. If a big name guy like Selby gets snuffed and it makes the news, the gunmaker's image won't get tarnished. That's just part of the game. It's like a Daytona driver getting killed in an accident. Does anyone ever blame the automobile manufacturer? And yes, today's gunmakers do give rifles to celebrities, particularly writers. I used to know one of those guys personally.

So, one of the ultra wealthy vanity trippers who has to have everything manages to buy a hunt with Ruark's famous Harry Selby. If the client can afford $940 lunches, he can certainly afford to leave a double rifle with his PH. Just like the gun companies, what client wouldn't die to be able to brag to his other ultra rich vanity tripping buddies at the $940 sushi bar, "Did you know THE Harry Selby now hunts with MY gun!" NOTHING in this world would mean more to that client.

Last edited:
I will thow in my .02 on this one. My answer would be, strictly from a utilitarian perspective if you negate all nostalgia from the equation, a yes. I have used semi auto rifles a lot and they are definitely superior in a tight spot. The ability to put multiple shots on target quickly and precisely without having to break your sight picture is hard to beat!

Wyatt, in your “pretend” scenario you did Not include the word RELIABLE and without consideration for “reliable” how could anyone even “pretend” to compare a Double Rifle to a semiauto? Yes, any rifle can fail but a semiauto is subject to “jam” and that can turn it into a single shot or less.
The best semi autos can almost all jam under certain conditions - dust & grit in the action or an expanded case etc.. My thought is that even a “pretend” comparison must factor in the possible “jam” when comparing a semi auto to a bolt or especially double rifle.....just my thoughts

I will thow in my .02 on this one. My answer would be, strictly from a utilitarian perspective if you negate all nostalgia from the equation, a yes. I have used semi auto rifles a lot and they are definitely superior in a tight spot. The ability to put multiple shots on target quickly and precisely without having to break your sight picture is hard to beat!
Spot on as always. To many people what you hunt with is just as important as the hunt itself. Again I think everyone should do it the way that is best for them

On sponsoring hunters back in the day. Let's talk about today. Most manufacturers today have a sponsorship program. My PH from 2022 would love to trade his Krieghoff .500 for a Heym. Even at a discount rate of $11K he'd rather spend the money on other priorities.

@Backyardsniper, I think you did very well to take the rifle on a well executed first safari and realise a dream. I would have done the same.

I often hunt with open sights, and specifically with three rifles, namely a Brno Mod 21 7x57, a A-type Oberndorf Mauser 9,3x62 and a George Gibbs .450-400 3&1/4” double on a Webley PHV1 action. My single biggest consideration when I bought all of them, starting in 2006, was to enjoy quality open sighted rifles whilst I was still young and my eyes were still good. I’m 39 now, and if my eyes start giving me grief later on, then I might be happy with a modern double with a red dot, or a nice bolt action with a good scope. Life is to short to not works hard and reward ourselves appropriately, be it hunting a specific species, with a specific weapon, in a specific area etc.

I must admit that in the last ten or so years I’ve become more of a gun guy than a hunting guy. I enjoy the challenge of getting an old firearm to shoot well, or to hunt with it more than I desire for a cape in the salt. My current challenge is getting a bushpig boar on bait and shooting it with the .44 Super Blackhawk. I’ve probably passed up 10 pigs in the last year that would have been a piece of cake with the .308 with the thermal, but it’s much more enjoyable.

Wyatt, in your “pretend” scenario you did Not include the word RELIABLE and without consideration for “reliable” how could anyone even “pretend” to compare a Double Rifle to a semiauto? Yes, any rifle can fail but a semiauto is subject to “jam” and that can turn it into a single shot or less.
The best semi autos can almost all jam under certain conditions - dust & grit in the action or an expanded case etc.. My thought is that even a “pretend” comparison must factor in the possible “jam” when comparing a semi auto to a bolt or especially double rifle.....just my thoughts
I was operating in the idea that anyone who hunt dangerous game would use a rifle 100% reliable. Of course things happen and can happen to all of them.
A foxtail seed in the action of stevens 311 gave me a heck of time getting it closed once while rabbit hunting. They all can and will fail.
So for now let’s assume 100% reliability.

I was operating in the idea that anyone who hunt dangerous game would use a rifle 100% reliable. Of course things happen and can happen to all of them.
A foxtail seed in the action of stevens 311 gave me a heck of time getting it closed once while rabbit hunting. They all can and will fail.
Yeah, they only use semis for the world’s most dangerous game.

Semi autos catch a lot of flak on jamming, in my experience though, a well maintained semi auto that has been shot enough to know it is a reliable rifle really does not offer that much, or at least not that much more of a possibility of a failure than any other rifle. If semi autos were that prone to failure the army wouldn't use them to hunt DG. Even now the snipers are going away from bolt action rifles to the M110 semi auto, which is just a glorified AR10. I myself have purchased a 10mm auto for hunting or carrying in bear country over my trusted old 44 magnum. The distance that self defense type shots happen is very close and very fast, being able to accurately put several shots on target is highly beneficial. Even going back to the point of double rifles, which is for all intents and purposes the closest they could produce to semi auto for DG hunting. It is essentially a 2 shot semi!

Hi Wyatt, as others have added in the meantime reliability of a semi auto would be an issue, but if we are to assume 100% reliability for everything in this comparison, then my answer is still no, I still prefer all of the other attributes of the double being the feel, the balance, the looks, the pointability. Then add the romance on top of that pile and I am afraid for me the double walks it.

Hi Wyatt, as others have added in the meantime reliability of a semi auto would be an issue, but if we are to assume 100% reliability for everything in this comparison, then my answer is still no, I still prefer all of the other attributes of the double being the feel, the balance, the looks, the pointability. Then add the romance on top of that pile and I am afraid for me the double walks it.
That is what I figured you would say. You are the romantic sort, not that it’s a flaw. I am the romantic sort as well. For me the romance lays with pre 64 M70 in 375. Just a different era I suppose.

Now that filmed charge says it all.. (y):Cigar:

You can say that again!
A well experienced PH with a bolt was at least twice as slow as a visiting hunter with a double.

Thanks @Tanks for sharing this video

OK Wyatt, I get your point and you’ve put a lot of thought into this - a well presented “hypothetical” comparison of a Double Rifle to a yet-to-be-invented SemiAuto. However, I’m just too simple minded and old to be that “open minded” - its why i’m Not an Artist or Inventor, Therefore I will cast my vote for the Double Rifle and with Full Disclosure that I’ve never faced a charging elephant (or anything else). You will get much better feedback & insight for others on this forum and the Under 50 crowd most likely to agree with you and the Semi Auto

Danger comes with dangerous game. If a big name guy like Selby gets snuffed and it makes the news, the gunmaker's image won't get tarnished. That's just part of the game. It's like a Daytona driver getting killed in an accident. Does anyone ever blame the automobile manufacturer? And yes, today's gunmakers do give rifles to celebrities, particularly writers. I used to know one of those guys personally.

So, one of the ultra wealthy vanity trippers who has to have everything manages to buy a hunt with Ruark's famous Harry Selby. If the client can afford $940 lunches, he can certainly afford to leave a double rifle with his PH. Just like the gun companies, what client wouldn't die to be able to brag to his other ultra rich vanity tripping buddies at the $940 sushi bar, "Did you know THE Harry Selby now hunts with MY gun!" NOTHING in this world would mean more to that client.
Most of the writers you’re referring to get loaned a gun. They are sometimes given the option to buy it after they’re done with their testing at a reduced cost. Some of the celebrity hunters are given rifles for the season to hunt with and use but their contracts often ask/require them to give the item away before they get the following years sample. This is often done for marketing publicity for the manufacturer, but also a lot of times to raise money for charity. There are some writers who are given guns but normally it’s got a special reason. I’d be willing to bet the writer you knew wasn’t given every gun he tested or wrote about.

If your first safari involves Buffalo or Elephant and you own a suitable double and shoot it well, then by all means take it.

I would still take a scoped bolt action, if a decent shot didn't present itself.

I'm sure one of the guys in the hunting party wouldn't mind playing "gun bearer". They didn't with me in 2021. If fact, they really wanted to!

BTW, here is an elephant charge, notice Buzz is recycling his action (no idea why he did not have his .500 NE that day) while the client is already shooting his second barrel.

AND the client is the one who put it down! Saw another film where the client actually saved a famous PH's bacon...I'm talking to you, Ivan Carter!
Someone briefly hit upon the idea that buying a double rifle is not lost money but rather an investment that can be sold and often for a profit. We call that a redneck IRA.

Last edited:
AND the client is the one who put it down! Saw another film where the client actually saved a famous PH's bacon...I'm talking to you, Ivan Carter!
Someone briefly hit upon the idea that buying a double rifle is not lost money but rather an investment that can be sold and often for a profit. We call that a redneck IRA.
Absolutely!

A quality DR is worth more than it's equivalent worth in fiat currency, US dollars, any day of the week.

We are at nearly $33 trillion in debt right now.

Gold, silver, alcohol, and guns will be worth something forever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeanKeighl

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]