Double Rifle for Your First Safari?

Perhaps you assume too much. Obviously, if I can afford to hunt Africa four times and counting, I could afford a double rifle. Your assumption is everyone who can afford one should be inherently biased towards hunting with one. That is the definition of stereotype. Variation is what made us an evolutionary success. Why would anyone choose now to fit a stereotype? Every dandelion weed is different. Different from every other dandelion plant anywhere that is and ever was and ever will be. Differences in size, shape, flower structure, root structure, cell structure. Why would a human being at the very pinnacle of world evolution choose NOT to find his/her own distinct path through the one and only life he/she will ever have?

I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about the professional hunter. The stereotype of the professional hunter (delighted for the exceptions) is their nearly unusable rifle is the best rifle, when in fact it was the free rifle they got lent or gifted out of pity as an apprentice. Occasionally clients will have the same reaction, trying to justify the incorrect tool for the job at hand out of pride, naivety, or obstinance.

If Harry hadn't had his deal-of-the-century 470NE run over by a truck, he'd have stuck with it. Had Kerr found him a replacement 470NE like he requested, he'd have owned that. Had Kerr found him a magnum action 416 Rigby he would have definitely taken that. In the end, they found Harry Selby a cut-rate 416 Rigby that was too cheap for good reasons and Harry made a career out of using a reliable gun that was less than desirable because "Beggars can't be choosers".

Perhaps you assume too much. Obviously, if I can afford to hunt Africa four times and counting, I could afford a double rifle. Your assumption is everyone who can afford one should be inherently biased towards hunting with one. That is the definition of stereotype. Variation is what made us an evolutionary success. Why would anyone choose now to fit a stereotype? Every dandelion weed is different. Different from every other dandelion plant anywhere that is and ever was and ever will be. Differences in size, shape, flower structure, root structure, cell structure. Why would a human being at the very pinnacle of world evolution choose NOT to find his/her own distinct path through the one and only life he/she will ever have?
Come on OT, admit it, a danelion with a double is a four leaf clover.

I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about the professional hunter. The stereotype of the professional hunter (delighted for the exceptions) is their nearly unusable rifle is the best rifle, when in fact it was the free rifle they got lent or gifted out of pity as an apprentice. Occasionally clients will have the same reaction, trying to justify the incorrect tool for the job at hand out of pride, naivety, or obstinance.

If Harry hadn't had his deal-of-the-century 470NE run over by a truck, he'd have stuck with it. Had Kerr found him a replacement 470NE like he requested, he'd have owned that. Had Kerr found him a magnum action 416 Rigby he would have definitely taken that. In the end, they found Harry Selby a cut-rate 416 Rigby that was too cheap for good reasons and Harry made a career out of using a reliable gun that was less than desirable because "Beggars can't be choosers".
Come on now ... let's be realistic. After the success of Ruark's books, any of the big name gunmakers would have died to have Selby carrying one of their guns. Do you really think they would make him pay for it if he would just use it? Clearly, Selby stuck with his lowly repurposed 98 Mauser out of choice, not necessity. At the end of his life he admitted to owning a double rifle (undoubtedly a gift) but preferring his 416 Rigby bolt action. AND he recommended the same setup for other professional hunters.

Similarly, I think it's absurd to hypothesize Wally Johnson stuck with a 375 throughout his career because he couldn't afford ammo for a Nitro double gun. I can't imagine being a professional ivory hunter was a minimum wage job. However, I'm sure economics might have figured into his decision. Why spend money on excesses when a 375 bolt action has proven itself to do the job safely and effectively? Were these men simply reckless thrill seekers? Perhaps. I haven't read the classics published about them. But it seems to me unlikely that either would have been very successful if that were the case ... because they probably wouldn't have lived long enough to be very successful.

Well stated, I’ve got a .470 NE double that shoots 1 1/2” @ 100 yrds from one barrel and both barrels together print under 3” - it’s a Chapuis which seems “average price” as double rifles go (Heym, Holland & Holland cost more). The rifles shoots better then I can under actual hunting conditions and I can’t blame the rifle for a poor shot at 100 yrds - it would always be My Fault. I also liked having 2 triggers. 2 firing pins. Knowing at least one would always work. Never gave much thought or worry to the barrels ever shifting or losing their regulated POI (maybe if they got run over by a truck or Elephant?)
+1. My 470 NE prints just like yours out to 100 yards. A true joy to have!

Perhaps you assume too much. Obviously, if I can afford to hunt Africa four times and counting, I could afford a double rifle. ...
Well, you hunt a game farm in RSA. That is like someone saying they have eaten at Denny's multiple times so eating at Masa, NYC (starts at $950 per person at the counter) is affordable as well. :unsure:
Why would a human being at the very pinnacle of world evolution choose NOT to find his/her own distinct path through the one and only life he/she will ever have?
Speaking of distinct paths, you seem to belittle everyone else's. Most of the time, not with actual knowledge or experience but with what you have seen on YouTube etc..

Speaking of assumptions, you should not assume that everyone who chooses to hunt with a double rifle does so for nostalgic reasons. Some feel it is the better tool for the job they have at hand. I choose to hunt with a bolt gun. However, I don’t make assumptions about those who choose a different tool.

Speaking of assumptions, you should not assume that everyone who chooses to hunt with a double rifle does so for nostalgic reasons. Some feel it is the better tool for the job they have at hand. I choose to hunt with a bolt gun. However, I don’t make assumptions about those who choose a different tool.
I never said EVERYONE who hunts with a double gun does it for purely nostalgic reasons. That's what you said I said. I merely guesstimated that the majority of those who do, do so for nostalgic reasons, and that does not seem to be an unfair assessment based on what I'm reading in this thread.

Oh yes the old double vs bolt gun saga haha I always love this one. Not to mention the open sights vs scoped rifle, big calibres with heavy recoil vs the lighter calibres with less recoil that are easier to shoot, add nostalgia in there as well. If you are using a rifle for it's intended purpose, doesn't mater if its double rifle, bolt gun, open sights, scoped etc, hunting IQ, correct shot selection, restraint and not making hasty decisions to pull the trigger and proficiency with the weapon is what is key to a successful hunt, not whether it is a double rifle or a bolt gun. Also I like seeing posts like this where someone has gone out and spent the money on a rifle they really want and have actually used it and practiced so they are proficient with the rifle and can take it hunting and be successful.

Now everyone can get along.

Screenshot_20230711_161354_Google.jpg

The first double rifle fans didn't choose nostalgia--they were choosing the best path to save their own skins in a deadly situation--not worrying about wounded and lost game possibilities. MANY of them endorsed their choice in the most emphatic way--especially elephant hunters in heavy cover. Pondoro Taylor said he "had never even heard of a double rifle failing in the field." Two SURE shots were their insurance policy.
If you choose an open sighted rifle for your last safari instead of your first--will your eyesight be up to the task?

I’ll be honest, I haven’t read past the first post, so if I offend anyone else’s opinion, my apologies in advance. I took my 500 NE Merkel on my first safari and the first animal I killed was a Cape buffalo. And I can confirm that I wouldn’t have done it any other way! Now, I will admit that I fired around 200 rounds in preparation and “killed” countless charging buffalo and hippo, yes, Mark Sullivan videos, with snap caps of course.

If you’re confident in yourself and you have prepared, I wouldn’t let anyone talk me out of it. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_1543.jpeg

This is the information on a rifle I was privileged to see earlier this year.
NRA national museum Fairfax Va.
Double bolt in .416 Remington.
Amazing museum. Well worth the time to visit if you are in the area. I will visit again.

Well, you hunt a game farm in RSA. That is like someone saying they have eaten at Denny's multiple times so eating at Masa, NYC (starts at $950 per person at the counter) is affordable as well. :unsure:

Speaking of distinct paths, you seem to belittle everyone else's. Most of the time, not with actual knowledge or experience but with what you have seen on YouTube etc..

Great restaurant choice but I’m still partial to Le Bernardin when I’m forced to be in NYC.

HH

I'll have to try it in a few months. My daughter lives in Upper East Side so I visit every few months. Last time we went to 11 Madison Park for their vegan tasting menu. It was amazing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesHow

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]