Does anyone here like quarter-bores?

Have had several old Win lever guns in both 32-20 and 25-20. Currently zip. They are fun little plinkers. I've had at least one 270 Win for so long, never even considered the need for one of the ever popular 25 calibers like 25-06, 257 Roberts, 250-3000 or 257 Weatherby. If I wanted or needed a long range coyote popper I would have kept my long range dedicated 243 Win for that. If I need a general deer/antelope gun, the 270 Win has proven to be nearly perfect. So a 25 cal? eh ~~~
@fourfive8
Me thinks you need to try a 25 you will be amazed. The 25-20 is a fun little round that I load with 3.4gn of trailboss and an 86gn cast for fun. My mate also dropped a couple of big old billies at around 80 yards with the same rifle and cartridge but loaded with a 75gn speer hot core at 1,800 fps.
I'm sorry you had to use a 243 for a dedicated longe range round when a 25 would have been a far better option for even longer ranges. No flies on a 85gn nosler balistic tip at almost 3,600 fps out of 25-06 or a little less out of a 257 Roberts
Bob

Bob is so predictable. 25 & 35

I done the unspeakable, I purchased a new .25-06 for a Donor action. Price was right for a shop soiled Tikka don't hold it against me

I know many people who swear by the .25-06 for a fine flat shooting round.

I had a few shots from a .257 Roberts on a mates place. The owner told me the holdover so I could hit the 400m gong.

Bob is so predictable. 25 & 35

I done the unspeakable, I purchased a new .25-06 for a Donor action. Price was right for a shop soiled Tikka don't hold it against me

I know many people who swear by the .25-06 for a fine flat shooting round.

I had a few shots from a .257 Roberts on a mates place. The owner told me the holdover so I could hit the 400m gong.
@CBH Australia
Chris at least you can say you have tried the quarter bore, an amazing caliber.

I purchased my first hunting rifle in 1993. It was a Remington Mountain Rifle in 25-06. Since then, it has accounted for dozens of whitetails, an antelope, several bobcats and hundreds of groundhogs. Loaded with a variety of bullets from 75gr VMAX to 120gr Partitions and using RL-22 or H4831 it has never failed me. To this day, it sits in the first position in my gun safe.

Big fan of my 1950’s FN .250 Savage. They had the insight to build them with a 1:10 twist, so you can use 100gr premiums very effectively

I've been waiting for Blaser to come out with a 25-06 barrel. They offer 6 quarter bores but no 25-06

I asked them that question at DSC this year. they said they had the ability to make whatever caliber was wanted but demand was the driving force behind the caliber decision as to what they offer. I would purchase one also if available.

I used to have a .257 Roberts Ruger #1 in the '80s that was used for deer in Texas. I left it with the first wife when we divorced as she liked to use it for deer hunting as well.

Since then, never owned anything between .22 and .30 calibers. I am getting a .243 caliber (6mm Dasher) getting built now. I have the barrel, trigger, headspace gauge in, waiting on the action (5 months left) and chassis (2 months left). Finally decided on a scope as well and it is arriving tomorrow according to UPS (Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 F1 with Horus Tremor 3 Reticle)

Last edited:
AHA!
Now that I read this thread, I understand that the term "quarter Bore" includes the .243 caliber rifle.
Yes, our family has one bolt action .243 which I bought for my wife and kids as a training rifle. They have all outgrown it now and it has become a "loaner" for visitors with no center fire rifle.
Sorry for the confusion on my part.

Big fan of my 1950’s FN .250 Savage. They had the insight to build them with a 1:10 twist, so you can use 100gr premiums very effectively
@Dewald
With the 1 in 10 twist you can even stabilize the 117grain projectiles.
Loaded properly in a strong action it's no drama getting 3,000fps with 100gn projectiles and 2,700 with the 117grain SST.
Bob

AHA!
Now that I read this thread, I understand that the term "quarter Bore" includes the .243 caliber rifle.
Yes, our family has one bolt action .243 which I bought for my wife and kids as a training rifle. They have all outgrown it now and it has become a "loaner" for visitors with no center fire rifle.
Sorry for the confusion on my part.
@crs
I don't like to be the bearer of bad news but the 243 isn't a quarter bore in any way shape or form.
A quarter bore relates to the fact that .25 is one quarter of an inch.
The 243 may be close but just can't make it to the .25 club. It might when it grows up.
Bob

@crs
I don't like to be the bearer of bad news but the 243 isn't a quarter bore in any way shape or form.
A quarter bore relates to the fact that .25 is one quarter of an inch.
The 243 may be close but just can't make it to the .25 club. It might when it grows up.
Bob
Ehat's 7 thou between friends?

Exactly 7 thou bigger or 7 thou smaller exactly the same difference each way niether are truly .250

I picked up a new, old stock Browning X-Bolt in 25.06 a while back for a screaming deal. It quickly became one of my favorites, and is a phenomenal antelope and whitetail gun. Last season, I took an antelope doe with my quarter bore at a quarter mile (437 yards) in Wyoming. Fast, flat, and accurate makes for a wonderful cartridge.

A friend with a Roberts has a similar affinity for the 25's on whitetail and feral hogs, which is about all he shoots these days.

@Challer
What 1/4 bores do they offer.
Bob

2D767E9A-D42C-4BF4-83FC-1229EF498FC1.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Exactly 7 thou bigger or 7 thou smaller exactly the same difference each way niether are truly .250
No the 243WIN (.243") is .014" smaller than the 25-06 (.257")

Kinda like the 35WHELEN (.358") being .018" smaller than the 375H&H (.376"). :ROFLMAO:

No the 243WIN (.243") is .014" smaller than the 25-06 (.257")

Kinda like the 35WHELEN (.358") being .018" smaller than the 375H&H (.376"). :ROFLMAO:
So that's like the .35 whelen will be a .375 H&H when or if it grows up? Just have to stir the pot a bit...
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen

@CBH Australia
Picky Picky at least all the 25s actually have a 25 in their name NOT 24 so no. Close but no ceegar mate

Can’t say I’ve ever been curious about any centerfire caliber under 6.5mm. No reason—some are fantastic—perhaps it’s because I automatically associate centerfire with big game and for anything smaller I simply think .22LR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwbybill

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.