Dismantle your rifles while putting them in travel case or keep them as one

I've always leave my bolt action in one piece.

Lot less problems if one piece ends up missing somehow

I used to take the stock off when air transporting my Ruger M77 MKII stainless zytel stock rifles. Leaving scope on the barreled action. This allowed me to use a shorter case. I would carry 2 rifles in the same case. 46” case.

Now traveling with Blazer R8 in an even shorter case still. 36” Case

I've always leave my bolt action in one piece.

Lot less problems if one piece ends up missing somehow
I have a handful of friends that remove the bolt and wrap it in a sock etc. Not me. Always keep the bolt in the rifle. I think there is a much greater chance of it going missing if your case is opened than if you keep it in the action.

I remove the scopes and put both Springfield 03A3 and 98 Mauser 404J in the same Pelican Vault single rifle guncase. I put slipon recoil pads on both rifles to protect muzzles from scratching adjacent butt stocks. The scopes each have their own soft leather tubes and they go in carryon backpack. Bolts stay in the guns! Do NOT put them in carryon. They CANNOT go on the plane with you.

I take my bolt out and tape it to barrel. If I had a larger heavier case I would leave it in one piece but taking bolt out lets it fit easier in case. I also think it’s a little less alarming to airline and customs staff that way.

First couple of trips I brought my rifles in a full sized Peli case(1720?) then I saw the pain and hassle of pulling this through airports, loading into the truck etc.
since then I dismantle my rifle, action out of the stock and action screws firmly screwed back in ! I I transport them now in a Peli 3220. Smaller and more convenient. After a beer, or two and unpacking on arrival at the destination the next thing is checking the zero on your rifle/s. I have never noticed a significant difference in POI.
Most of my personal kit fits in the rest of the case and my carryon. I have learnt to travel light and the daily laundry in Africa is of great benefit.

I got a pelican 1750 after looking around for. a sturdy case. I plan to carry both my double and bolt in a single case. Still deciding to cut out the foam for dismantled rifles or carry as one.

Used to fly a lot, always took bolt out and attached it to sling with 2 sturdy zip tys. Was thanked by TSA a couple times, back when they inspected firearms at ticket counter.

I take my bolt out and tape it to barrel. If I had a larger heavier case I would leave it in one piece but taking bolt out lets it fit easier in case. I also think it’s a little less alarming to airline and customs staff that way.
Not a bad idea. Could slip the bolt in an old sock before taping it to the barrel. However, because I have two guns side by side in the case, having the bolt handles stuck in the foam is not such a bad thing. Anchors the guns and helps keep them from banging into each other when the case is set on its side.

I got a pelican 1750 after looking around for. a sturdy case. I plan to carry both my double and bolt in a single case. Still deciding to cut out the foam for dismantled rifles or carry as one.
If you don't cut out the foam, buy a couple of cheap slip-on recoil pads. Put them on the rifles in case they move around in the case. That way muzzle cannot mark the buttstock next to it. Take them off when you get to the lodge/camp.

Project accomplished, I decided to keep both in one piece and cut out the foam. I think I did a OK job, pictures coming.

First couple of trips I brought my rifles in a full sized Peli case(1720?) then I saw the pain and hassle of pulling this through airports, loading into the truck etc.
since then I dismantle my rifle, action out of the stock and action screws firmly screwed back in ! I I transport them now in a Peli 3220. Smaller and more convenient. After a beer, or two and unpacking on arrival at the destination the next thing is checking the zero on your rifle/s. I have never noticed a significant difference in POI.
Most of my personal kit fits in the rest of the case and my carryon. I have learnt to travel light and the daily laundry in Africa is of great benefit.
I do little traveling any more, when I do or did I traveld as you do except I remove the bolt put it in two socks and snuggly tie rap to bbl. Proper screw driver and bits packed in case.

Lon

I use a full size case. Two rifles if going to Africa. A bolt gun with a scope and a double rifle. If traveling elsewhere in the world then a different bolt gun with scope, no double. Everything stays together. I have different foam cutouts for each configuration. I've traveled this way throughout the US and Alaska, Canada, Mexico, Argentina, Croatia, Serbia, Macedonia, England, South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe. Never had any problems. Never had any hassles. Never had any damage. Never had to re-zero any weapon.

The gun case with wheels on it makes a great platform to put my KUIU bag on (with clothes etc) while schlepping around the airport since it's rare to come across porters any more.

Rifle stays assembled, bolt goes in a sock and for those that are firearm challenged, one of these goes in the receiver.

safe_not_loaded.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Edgarfrutt

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.