Dismantle your rifles while putting them in travel case or keep them as one

Rifle stays assembled, bolt goes in a sock and for those that are firearm challenged, one of these goes in the receiver.

View attachment 588097
As much as those things make me cringe, I put one in my last trip over and it seemed to help a bit.

Fully assembled, inside Murray leather cases, packed inside a Tuffpak. I usually cram an ammo belt, day pack, or sweatshirts inside the Tuffpak for extra padding and stability. The leather cases protect the rifles when they're in a gun rack. They are top zipper, so easy access to the rifles.

I have golf course stickers on the Tuffpak.

Weight comes to exactly 40# so I'm good, now need to just attach a air tag and get 4 TSA approved locks.
Fully assembled, inside Murray leather cases, packed inside a Tuffpak. I usually cram an ammo belt, day pack, or sweatshirts inside the Tuffpak for extra padding and stability. The leather cases protect the rifles when they're in a gun rack. They are top zipper, so easy access to the rifles.

I have golf course stickers on the Tuffpak.
Does the golf course stickers help with anything?

Weight comes to 40 pounds as I had envisioned. Now need to get an air tag and 4 TSA locks.

Weight comes to exactly 40# so I'm good, now need to just attach a air tag and get 4 TSA approved locks.

Depends - I put the stickers on there to keep from getting hassled by anti-hunters, but I actually got more questions about what kind of clubs I had and how I liked the different courses.

I'm trying to come up with a better plan.

Helps keep animal lover baggage apes from "accidentally" damaging the gun case. I know one fella who put a Yamaha piano sticker on his gun case. Most airlines stick firearms or ammo tags on the cases but always good to put some doubt in people's minds. The airline stickers/tags are not very obtrusive. I typically do not travel in safari garb for the same reason. No camo except my daypack carryon. I'm not afraid of confrontation but see no need to go looking for it either. Especially don't need it while I'm on vacation.

I have used a TuffPac last 3 trips over.
Three rifles each trip. I take the bolts out and put in zipper side pouch on soft case.
Weight is between 54-59 pounds depending on rifles. Last trips was not concerned about weigh as flying business class. This year taking 3 rifles again but on Delta. Not business class. So will pay $200 fee for over 50lbs but under 70lbs.
Would rather have the 3 rifles as to what I am hunting vrs only carrying 2.

I have a handful of friends that remove the bolt and wrap it in a sock etc. Not me. Always keep the bolt in the rifle. I think there is a much greater chance of it going missing if your case is opened than if you keep it in the action.
Tie or Zip tie your bolt to something inside the case and it’s more likely “your rifle” will be missing

Helps keep animal lover baggage apes from "accidentally" damaging the gun case. I know one fella who put a Yamaha piano sticker on his gun case. Most airlines stick firearms or ammo tags on the cases but always good to put some doubt in people's minds. The airline stickers/tags are not very obtrusive. I typically do not travel in safari garb for the same reason. No camo except my daypack carryon. I'm not afraid of confrontation but see no need to go looking for it either. Especially don't need it while I'm on vacation.
Ontario, I haven’t ever seen an Airline mark “firearm” or any indicator on a rifle hard case - Not in the 35 years I’ve flown on hunts with them - but I’ve always departed from the U.S. …..is that on Air Canada? I do recall hearing that practice had occurred but Not sure if that was before mid 1990s or specific to some Airlines that I never flew on. Either way - that would make your travel case a “target”

Waiting for the Balser R8 community to chime in. One "complete" rifle per Pelican 1700 with no issues of being even close to the weigh restrictions. One rifle with up to two calibers on a wheeled case...easy peasy.

1708299427553.png

Waiting for the Balser R8 community to chime in. One "complete" rifle per Pelican 1700 with no issues of being even close to the weigh restrictions. One rifle with up to two calibers on a wheeled case...easy peasy.

View attachment 588159
Bee, that rifle was “made to travel” - a modular marvel and one of my friends that owned one Loved it, accurate, functional, and fast straight pull bolt. Worth the money —- I’m not much for plastic stocks but can’t argue the care free function they provide. I have seen some Blazers with wood that was “outstanding”. I have 4 different rifle hard cases for airline travel - don’t like ANY of them —- none fit as “perfect” as Yours.

View attachment 588159
Thats the beauty of these modular rifles, thought of doing similar for my Sauer 404, but then decided against per the forum members advise..

On a side note, is there any particular brand of locks that can't be easily cut or opened and safe for airline travel?

On a side note, is there any particular brand of locks that can't be easily cut or opened and safe for airline travel?
Nope. The lockpicking lawyer (on YouTube) will sort you out. NOTHING IS UNPICKABLE!!!!

There are some harder then others but NO padlock that cannot be cut or snapped off a rifle case - even the largest with shanks that will fit thru the case “holes” can be quickly “dremmeled” or bolt cut. I use the thickest that fit thru the holes and find “keys” more secure the combos (carry 3-4 sets of keys and give a spare to other hunters in your group). Since the case is often out of your sight and control - I’m more worried the entire case is stolen or lost

Bee, that rifle was “made to travel” - a modular marvel and one of my friends that owned one Loved it, accurate, functional, and fast straight pull bolt. Worth the money —- I’m not much for plastic stocks but can’t argue the care free function they provide. I have seen some Blazers with wood that was “outstanding”. I have 4 different rifle hard cases for airline travel - don’t like ANY of them —- none fit as “perfect” as Yours.
Made by Blaser for Blaser. So yeah, they have a really good fit. BTW - They are out of production.

Ontario, I haven’t ever seen an Airline mark “firearm” or any indicator on a rifle hard case - Not in the 35 years I’ve flown on hunts with them - but I’ve always departed from the U.S. …..is that on Air Canada? I do recall hearing that practice had occurred but Not sure if that was before mid 1990s or specific to some Airlines that I never flew on. Either way - that would make your travel case a “target”
Air Canada and the airlines at Joberg all tagged my gun/ammo cases. One way it is a tag and the other way it's a sticker like red tape. Neither are terribly noticeable. Yeah, it really makes no sense why these would be labeled. Makes them potential targets. I certainly don't see that my guns have ever received any "special treatment" by baggage handlers ... except maybe getting lost more frequently than my other checked bags. As you may know, ammo cases must be locked and separate from other checked baggage going out of Joberg. Here the ammo case is labeled by airline security (don't recall it being opened by them, only sometimes at customs) and then I can put it inside checked bag. I am surprised that all airlines don't require ammo to be packed and labeled separately so it can be stowed away from fuel tanks, etc. I presume the labeling is to ensure baggage handlers at other airports along the way that the guns and ammo have gone through security somewhere. Otherwise, they have to cut the locks and check the paperwork inside the case (which they might do anyway).

It is the case from where I am flying from. A red tag with big bold white letters “firearm” on it. About 20 by 5 cm large.

Long time lurker, first time poster. From Europe so forgive my ignorance og any US policy, but are you allowed to send your rifle complete with bolt in one case? In Europe you have to take a vital part, so bolt for instance, out of the rifle and put in a second checked bag. Usually both the case containing the weapon and the one carrying ammo/bolt gets a tag.

Thats the reason I am reluctant to airtravel with my Ruger nr 1 as I would rather not dissasemble it for travel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DomenicTur

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?