CZ-550 .458 Lott - Custom Work Recommendations

Beck

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Good day. I have a CZ-550 in .458 lott. It has not had any custom work done to it at this point. It seems to cycle shells well, and the bolt is pretty smooth. My question is who should I have do custom work on the rifle, and what should I have done? My initial thoughts are to shorten the barrel, and to install a three position safety. Maybe buy a new stock as it currently wears a pretty plane stock. I have also thought about having a removable muzzle break installed, and putting a white bead on the front sight. All feedback is welcome

Good day. I have a CZ-550 in .458 lott. It has not had any custom work done to it at this point. It seems to cycle shells well, and the bolt is pretty smooth. My question is who should I have do custom work on the rifle, and what should I have done? My initial thoughts are to shorten the barrel, and to install a three position safety. Maybe buy a new stock as it currently wears a pretty plane stock. I have also thought about having a removable muzzle break installed, and putting a white bead on the front sight. All feedback is welcome
I don’t know anyone in your neck of the woods, but Tipton Burns is awesome. Canyon Lake, Texas. He has built many rifles for guys here. I hate brakes, but his are seamless. He just built a .404J for me on a CZ action and did a great job. He installed a three position safety for me as well. Honestly, if you’re going to restock it with a nice piece of lumber, you may want to consider buying a new rifle and selling yours. Stocking costs are where you get killed. I just had him utilize a Bell and Carlson on this last build. Certainly did not need another rifle, but got tired of staring at the action on my bench.

Matrix would be good to talk to if they have sorted out their kinks, they took over from AHR.

I know at least one member has used them, and I don’t think it went a smooth as he had hoped. Maybe you can find the thread and contact the member

To add to my earlier post, searching matrix on here I’ve found a lot of positive reviews as well!

Adam Bently
THE DRESDEN GUN COMPANY LTD
9710 DRESDEN RD, DRESDEN, OH 43821
(740) 565-3004

Adam does great barrel work, etc.

As for stock work, I advise caution. Fancy wood on a rifle has been known to cost men more money than fast cars and red headed women!

Matrix is no longer an option as they only manufacture parts.

It is disappointing that one of the last CZ gunsmiths is currently not an option but Tim found that he loves CNC machining and was given an opportunity to jump start that endeavor. However, over the last 6 months, as he was swamped with the upgrades and custom rifle builds, he realized that he needed to take the plunge and pursue the machining manufacturing opportunity full time.
Steve

I am not looking to put a fancy stock on the gun, probably just a laminate stock from Boyd's
I saw a Bell and Carlson stock that had been dipped with a coating that looked like Burl Maple looked great! thought about someday having mine done that way instead of paint. B&C will also change lop and mercury recoil reducers when you place an order. I was very happy with their stock

I am not looking to put a fancy stock on the gun, probably just a laminate stock from Boyd's
I have a CZ 550 in .416 Rigby. It originally had a synthedic stock which I didn’t like, so I ordered a laminated stock from CZ. It dropped right in and I like it. It gives it some heft and feels solid. You might give CZ a call to see if they have one floating around.

IMG_1177.jpg

I have a CZ 550 in .416 Rigby. It originally had a synthedic stock which I didn’t like, so I ordered a laminated stock from CZ. It dropped right in and I like it. It gives it some heft and feels solid. You might give CZ a call to see if they have one floating around.

View attachment 622240
I will definitely do that, fingers crossed

I will definitely do that, fingers
There was/is a laminate CZ 550 magnum stock at a LGS in Tucson that I considered for $150+ tax but didn't buy. I can check if it's still there and maybe check fit with a rifle if CZ doesn't have 1 for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AgnesKobay

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.