Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
Namibia (X2), Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
In about a month, I’ll be back in Seymour, Texas hunting doves with my buddy @Jeff505 and several more friends. The early dove season is the start of our high social season. This year, I’ll take my tried and true Winchester Model 101 12 gauge, and a newly acquired Rizzini BR 550 side by side 20 guage that I bought at the Tulsa gun show in April. As I get older, the joy of hunting with real friends becomes more important than the bag. However, I’m expecting a fantastic shoot this year. Seymour has already exceeded its annual rainfall average! There’s plenty of grain and seeds.

Anyone else planning to shoot “at” doves in a few weeks?

I'll be on 8k acres near uvalde tx shaking extra dry martinis as we sit near a water tank and take enough doves to make several pot pies.

It's hot but it's lots of fun.

It's been awhile since I hunted dove. Those are good times though around food and hot shotgun barrels.

In about a month, I’ll be back in Seymour, Texas hunting doves with my buddy @Jeff505 and several more friends. The early dove season is the start of our high social season. This year, I’ll take my tried and true Winchester Model 101 12 gauge, and a newly acquired Rizzini BR 550 side by side 20 guage that I bought at the Tulsa gun show in April. As I get older, the joy of hunting with real friends becomes more important than the bag. However, I’m expecting a fantastic shoot this year. Seymour has already exceeded its annual rainfall average! There’s plenty of grain and seeds.

Anyone else planning to shoot “at” doves in a few weeks?
@Doug3006 - we have decent early seasons here in the Northeast (Maryland, Delaware, Virginia) with good populations if Farms are planted with sunflowers etc…
I’ve gone on several Opening Days with friends both on private property and “paid” hunts. Shooting was usually good and limits were there to be had (if you could shoot)….but it was Never that much “fun” for Me (other then being with friends) and I LOVE to shoot & Hunt. The heat & humidity is like hunting in a sauna, baking like a Pie in the oven, sitting on a stool in the Sun, and sweating off gallons of water ——all to shoot “small pigeons” ?? Even adding my Lab into the mix and getting the dog some early season retrieves — I usually quit early so the dog doesn’t overheat…Just too Hot for me. Now, if it was a 50 degree day and all else was the same - I’d love it !!

Oh yea, sunflowers are starting to bloom and a good number of dove around, mourning, white winged and Eurasian collard doves. We normally hunt every Saturday or Sunday until the end of our first split and then finish up around thanksgiving.

On opening day (Sept. 1) I will be hunting just outside Corsicana, Texas. Early reports are lots of doves already flying. This location can be really great or in some years, no birds. Fingers crossed.
I will be shooting my Beretta SL3 20G. Hunting buddies with well-trained labs will join me.
Dove hunting is one of my favorite hunts.

Labor Day Weekend kicks off our hunting season for White Wing Dove shoots in S. Texas. Generally the weather is 100+. Lots of water to drink during the day and after the hunt lots of BBQ & Beer. Hunting begins around 3:00PM as the birds are going to roost or get water. Lots of fast shooting enjoyed by all. It is a hoot of a hunt enjoyed by all. I enjoy shooting my Berretta O/U Silver Pigeon 20ga.

Love to hear you guys have as much fun as I do.
I dove hunt like I golf. I'm there to hang out, drive the cart, and have fun.
If I get competitive I ruin it.

I don't even run chokes anymore.
I have a full 30" 870 wingmaster that's smooth as a sewing machine but this year I'm taking an old Stevens 12 ga from the 50s I got as my first gun when I was a kid. I used to mow lawns for a neighbor lady and she gave it to me when her husband died.
Good times.

@Doug3006 - we have decent early seasons here in the Northeast (Maryland, Delaware, Virginia) with good populations if Farms are planted with sunflowers etc…
I’ve gone on several Opening Days with friends both on private property and “paid” hunts. Shooting was usually good and limits were there to be had (if you could shoot)….but it was Never that much “fun” for Me (other then being with friends) and I LOVE to shoot & Hunt. The heat & humidity is like hunting in a sauna, baking like a Pie in the oven, sitting on a stool in the Sun, and sweating off gallons of water ——all to shoot “small pigeons” ?? Even adding my Lab into the mix and getting the dog some early season retrieves — I usually quit early so the dog doesn’t overheat…Just too Hot for me. Now, if it was a 50 degree day and all else was the same - I’d love it !!
The heat isn’t my favorite part….but it’s a part of it alright! Try a late season hunt in South Texas. The heat Is gone but the birds are still there!

I will be out opening day, drinking at least two big bottles of Gatorade, waiting on the birds to arrive. After that, this year I doubt that I will be out again.

My son and I hunted doves a lot when he was too young to even swing a gun, but he made a great bird boy. Now that he's grown he and 5 friends from all over the country have a tradition of coming over to hunt opening weekend. It's just such a fun time, almost like what some of you can do in a deer camp. We have started getting a few eurasian collared dove up here in northern Oklahoma. I have hunted them enough to only take quality shots, so a box of shells usually lasts the morning.

thumbnail_IMG_1575.jpg

The size difference between the two species is dramatic
thumbnail_IMG_1585.jpg

Looking forward to a fun weekend soon!!

My son and I hunted doves a lot when he was too young to even swing a gun, but he made a great bird boy. Now that he's grown he and 5 friends from all over the country have a tradition of coming over to hunt opening weekend. It's just such a fun time, almost like what some of you can do in a deer camp. We have started getting a few eurasian collared dove up here in northern Oklahoma. I have hunted them enough to only take quality shots, so a box of shells usually lasts the morning.

View attachment 622241
The size difference between the two species is dramatic
View attachment 622242

Looking forward to a fun weekend soon!!
That's awesome! Hope mine still comes back from opener when she grows. But for now she's got a few more years of playing birddog.
20200901_165018.jpg

The Eurasian invasion-in my state they are not protected. No season dates, non migratory, no limits. I hunt on a dairy farm for them in late fall with the owners blessing. It can be amazing.
I will hunt mourning doves if I have fillled my archery elk tag, otherwise I will be in a treestand somewhere.
Dove breasts rolled with bacon and jalapeño and cheese!

All three Grey Bird seasons start here on Sept 1............dove, Canada geese and Sandhills. I hope to be underneath them with the old A5 20 ga. Best of luck to all AH bird hunters..........FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.