Custom Dangerous Game rifles

Just so that I can know I can’t afford one rather than assume, how much ballpark for a left hand GMA action?
Well, their African Magnum is the priciest, but .375 does not qualify being a rat caliber. ;)
You will have to call them to find out.

I paid around $1,300 or so for Defiant Machine LH, CRF action with 3-pos safety. The African Magnum was quoted around $3K at a show a while back, but best to call them and be sure.
(y)

If I was building another one it’d be on a pre ww2 m98 mauser same as the last one. Say what you will but I prefer the simplicity of the M98 over anything else.
Mauser Stoeger 1939 Page 41.jpg

I’m having a 375 H&H built now for my sons high school graduation present. The position of the safety, the ability to use a removable clip, and a stock that shouldn’t break were all very high on his list. My list started with a modest budget. If not he would be a getting double in a 470 nitro. We landed on a Remington 700, HS Precision stock, HS Precision floor metal and magazine, and a Timney trigger. It’s not a traditional African set up, but in reality it will spend more days hunting the Rocky Mountains than on the continent of Africa.

Heym Martini Express can be ordered to fit you with choice of wood grade & metal finish. They function perfectly are pleasing to the eye & they shoot !

A built to order "semi-custom" Heym Martini Express would definitely compete for my attention with my custom Pre-64 M70 .375 Jim Kobe and .458 Lott Roger Biesen built rifles.

@Mountaineer, That's a good project. HIs list is indicative of today's younger market. It needs to function. Looks are a distant second. OT, was at the range yesterday. Was alone for three hours and four younger guys arrived. They had black rifles and black pistols and in a half hour there was a pile of brass on the ground.

@hseII I forgot to mention it. I do have a custom LH rifle for sale. Details below:

2000-2010 J. Roberts & Son built on a single square bridge .. From @rookhawk

Last edited:
@hseII I forgot to mention it. I do have a custom LH rifle for sale. Details below:

I drooled over it all the way to the cost of that beautiful new McSqueezy.

That’s a bit tall for my current rifle budget even though I’m throughly sure it’s worth every penny.

I filled out the form for a proper MRC in 2018 but did not submit & have been kicking myself since reading news that they closed.

The affordability of the .375 Ruger African intrigues me.

My 500 Jeffery came in under $3000. It's pretty, very accurate, handles nicely, feeds and functions flawlessly (most important).

buy a Dakota off the used market, won't lose a dime on ownership. If you want to go further down the rabbit hole after you invest that $ then start looking at GMA's and the like. The market goes from 5-7k to 10-15, those are the new "lower end" safari rifle price points.

@Mountaineer, OT, was at the range yesterday. Was alone for three hours and four younger guys arrived. They had black rifles and black pistols and in a half hour there was a pile of brass on the ground.

And we wonder why ammo has gone up in price so much and why it is still so hard to find. They're like a bunch of little kids who are firing a gun for the first time, and some do it every weekend. They have no interest in accuracy or technique and apparently have money to burn. I don't understand how they can afford it. My AR was one of 3 I took yesterday and I fired 12 $.25ish reloads. Going into some of these gun stores nowadays where there isn't a wood gunstock in sight makes me sick. Then again, most wood gunstocks on new guns these days make me want to vomit.

And we wonder why ammo has gone up in price so much and why it is still so hard to find. They're like a bunch of little kids who are firing a gun for the first time, and some do it every weekend. They have no interest in accuracy or technique and apparently have money to burn. I don't understand how they can afford it. My AR was one of 3 I took yesterday and I fired 12 $.25ish reloads. Going into some of these gun stores nowadays where there isn't a wood gunstock in sight makes me sick. Then again, most wood gunstocks on new guns these days make me want to vomit.
At least they're 2nd Amendment adherents. Don't know what ammo they were using but their rifles either had bump stocks or binaries. It was mag dumping nirvana.
e-big-grin.gif
I only wish I could have stayed and swept up the brass.

C'mon....you knew this was coming.

Blaser R8 in 375H&H. I have the lightweight synthetic Professional stock and 17mm barrel for a bare rifle weight of 7.75#. With the scope, sling and ammo it comes up to 10# and is still a pleasure to carry on a hunt.
View attachment 460037
I had a bespoke 404 built on a GMA action. It’s as close to perfect as such a rifle can be. I prefer my Blaser.

I had a bespoke 404 built on a GMA action. It’s as close to perfect as such a rifle can be. I prefer my Blaser.
Not everyone has the stones to be that honest. Sometimes semi-custom or “off the rack” is preferred.

In all honesty, I’d love to have a truly bespoke rifle made…just to have it. They are works of art custom fit to the client. But then my practical side kicks in and tells me that pretty wood and scroll engraving doesn’t kill any better than stainless and synthetic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doris0158

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!