Custom Dangerous Game rifles

I love when people who watch entirely too much tv say such things as what would "you" "build?" Most of you would NOT build anything! You pay someone to do it for you and you tighten some screws yourself (if you're lucky.) LOL Granite Mtn Arms. Don't believe anything from the MSM (tv, magazines, etc.) LOL And stop saying platform. There is no platform, really, excepting idiots who subscribe to, and vote for, the aforementioned! ;)
I won't be manufacturing the parts but I will be putting it all together and doing mostly everything myself, and I don't watch tv;)

I have two custom DG rifles, both built on M 70 actions.

C'mon....you knew this was coming.

Blaser R8 in 375H&H. I have the lightweight synthetic Professional stock and 17mm barrel for a bare rifle weight of 7.75#. With the scope, sling and ammo it comes up to 10# and is still a pleasure to carry on a hunt.
1648902911917.png

C'mon....you knew this was coming.

Blaser R8 in 375H&H. I have the lightweight synthetic Professional stock and 17mm barrel for a bare rifle weight of 7.75#. With the scope, sling and ammo it comes up to 10# and is still a pleasure to carry on a hunt.
View attachment 460037
I figured it would come up and thought briefly about mentioning it.
I guess it would be a great build if you like to play with LEGOs……
:A Stirring::A Outta:

The MSM has warped the term build. It gives a decent chunk of the audience the false feeling they're actually building something, when all they're really building is a smaller bank account to buy something they're selling. Factories or gunsmiths do the actual building. I'd say don't let the MSM warp your brain, but for the vast majority, using coca-cola as a testament (sales of this incredible tooth decay/GIT disease/diabetes machine increase every year), that'd never work. That was the point. LOL When you buy a car, are you ordering one with your desired options or building it? (99% are simply ordering and/or purchasing. 1% actually build their own.) Assembling an AR is akin to that of a 31-piece Lego set. There is no building. It just sounds better than ordering or buying. Rant over.

I figured it would come up and thought briefly about mentioning it.
I guess it would be a great build if you like to play with LEGOs……
:A Stirring::A Outta:
i heard the Blaser stocks are made entirely out of recycled ocean plastics recovered from tortoises, so that's why they cost so much. 'funny us independently mentioning Lego (as I read your post after mine).

I would just order a Mauser/Rigby...

If you were to build a true custom DG rifle

What is a true custom rifle?
To me it would be a rifle where I have made all the choices and been involved true the build. Others might just choose yo give money to a gunsmith and he will build what is actually his wishes and preferences.

But do not listen to me, my 404 is built on a m70-action, vector barrel, has a fiberoptic frontsight, weaverstyle mounts and is duracoated. I did decide every detail so by my definition it is a custom rifle!

I would just order a Mauser/Rigby...

What is a true custom rifle?
To me it would be a rifle where I have made all the choices and been involved true the build. Others might just choose yo give money to a gunsmith and he will build what is actually his wishes and preferences.

But do not listen to me, my 404 is built on a m70-action, vector barrel, has a fiberoptic frontsight, weaverstyle mounts and is duracoated. I did decide every detail so by my definition it is a custom rifle!
You’re right, a true custom rifle is one where you pick the action, caliber, blank, barrel, twist, stock shape, dimensions, accessories, and any other issue that you can think of. Im not sure if you’re implying I said otherwise or not?

The MSM has warped the term build. It gives a decent chunk of the audience the false feeling they're actually building something, when all they're really building is a smaller bank account to buy something they're selling. Factories or gunsmiths do the actual building. I'd say don't let the MSM warp your brain, but for the vast majority, using coca-cola as a testament (sales of this incredible tooth decay/GIT disease/diabetes machine increase every year), that'd never work. That was the point. LOL When you buy a car, are you ordering one with your desired options or building it? (99% are simply ordering and/or purchasing. 1% actually build their own.) Assembling an AR is akin to that of a 31-piece Lego set. There is no building. It just sounds better than ordering or buying. Rant over.
What is MSM?

You’re right, a true custom rifle is one where you pick the action, caliber, blank, barrel, twist, stock shape, dimensions, accessories, and any other issue that you can think of. Im not sure if you’re implying I said otherwise or not?
My rifle started here
GBsTOVn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just interested innhearing others opinion!

Would a Semi Custom Rifle than be any rifle you buy that you make your own buy changing the stock, LOP, drop or pitch.. Remove and replace Iron sights front or rear

You can do a nice conversion on a M70 fairly inexpensively. A 375HH can be done less than $1500 plus doner rifle. So all in less than $3000. I did a 375 to 404 recently, if not a custom stock all in would have been this amount.
Hello Tucketed,

I've been wanting a 404J on a M70, without have to search out a 300 RUM, just get a 375 or 416. Can you share the details of the gunsmith that did the work?
I have a nice M70 stock waiting for a good, reliable 404 conversion.

The MSM has warped the term build. It gives a decent chunk of the audience the false feeling they're actually building something, when all they're really building is a smaller bank account to buy something they're selling. Factories or gunsmiths do the actual building. ...

So, for my prairie dog rifle I ordered the action (BAT machine), ordered the barrel blanks ( Bartlein M24 .243 7.5tw), ordered the stock (Masterpiece Arms), ordered the reamer (6mm Dasher), ordered the trigger.

Once I receive all and I take it to my gunsmith it will take him 2-3 hours to ream, headspace and fit the barrel and put the gun together while I watch.

Who built it?

I’m currently tracking this Belgium custom .458WM on a auction site & hoping the Big Bore caliber scares away most weekend warriors + not a
caliber you see :X3: on a Drive Hunt or High Seat here in Europe! Fingers crossed …

C6165A0E-82DF-4FF1-85BC-98EF6EFD7148.jpeg
B2BE6542-8BE8-4D86-8394-EF7FA8EC1693.jpeg
1D9AFB0C-E100-4AE2-AADB-B1818D1D4A5B.jpeg

I love when people who watch entirely too much tv say such things as what would "you" "build?" Most of you would NOT build anything! You pay someone to do it for you and you tighten some screws yourself (if you're lucky.) LOL Granite Mtn Arms. Don't believe anything from the MSM (tv, magazines, etc.) LOL And stop saying platform. There is no platform, really, excepting idiots who subscribe to, and vote for, the aforementioned! ;)
I have built 6 rifles from "scratch" which is to say, with wood I cut, seasoned 5 years, shaped myself, barreled with help from a friend, and rust blued myself, so... I even draw filed a step barrel to half octagonal, then polished and blued. Guess I should add reloading cartridges all the way. I am sure a good number of others have done at least one of the above on their own rifles. (In fact, I just ripped the stump for blanks yesterday on a tree I cut in my front yard--and I'm getting too old for that!) But I wouldn't be snarky with anyone who did not reinvent the wheel, after all my eyes will not allow me to mess with checkering anymore, and some jobs are easy to mess up. The biggest job I ever did was to make a great set of claw mounts from scratch--took about 50 hrs of filing, fitting and smoking in the last smidgen. Very satisfying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyceBeard

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!