Custom Dangerous Game rifles

.458WM built by a backwoods PA gunsmith.
20220402_180425Resized.jpg
20220402_181346Resized.jpg

Old action or new, I'd go with something that I don't have to send off to famed gunsmith Rienhold Alfred Blitzer or some other nameless gunsmith to get it to function. If the action mated to an aftermarket or factory magazine setup and a custom barrel doesn't work out of the box, in my book, it's a huge FAIL. I see others spending a thousand bucks to get the CZs to feed. WTF? Why?

Old action or new, I'd go with something that I don't have to send off to famed gunsmith Rienhold Alfred Blitzer or some other nameless gunsmith to get it to function. If the action mated to an aftermarket or factory magazine setup and a custom barrel doesn't work out of the box, in my book, it's a huge FAIL. I see others spending a thousand bucks to get the CZs to feed. WTF? Why?
Yeah I want every part I purchase to work properly

If you really want a custom rifle I'd buy a pre-64 model 70 in that caliber, have a gorgeous stock made for it and a match grade kreiger barrel pillar bed on it of the contour you like, some NECG iron sights and you're done. Otherwise I'd buy a new model 70 and a brand new Mauser (they're gorgeous).

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really want a custom rifle I'd buy a pre-64 model 70 in that caliber, have a gorgeous stock made for it and a match grade kreiger barrel pillar bed on it of the contour you like, some NECG iron sights and you're done. Otherwise I'd buy a new model 70 and a brand new Mauser (they're gorgeous).
Who do you recommend for a stock?

I have built 6 rifles from "scratch" which is to say, with wood I cut, seasoned 5 years, shaped myself, barreled with help from a friend, and rust blued myself, so... I even draw filed a step barrel to half octagonal, then polished and blued. Guess I should add reloading cartridges all the way. I am sure a good number of others have done at least one of the above on their own rifles. (In fact, I just ripped the stump for blanks yesterday on a tree I cut in my front yard--and I'm getting too old for that!) But I wouldn't be snarky with anyone who did not reinvent the wheel, after all my eyes will not allow me to mess with checkering anymore, and some jobs are easy to mess up. The biggest job I ever did was to make a great set of claw mounts from scratch--took about 50 hrs of filing, fitting and smoking in the last smidgen. Very satisfying.
You are the proud 1% and you should be. Congratulations on all that you've built! I have done a fair amount of gunsmithing and even invented a new wildcat LOL new for the early 2000s but they still haven't standardized it. It's more a dig on industry playing games in advertising and helping people understand that.

Well, their African Magnum is the priciest, but .375 does not qualify being a rat caliber. ;)
You will have to call them to find out.

I paid around $1,300 or so for Defiant Machine LH, CRF action with 3-pos safety. The African Magnum was quoted around $3K at a show a while back, but best to call them and be sure.

aigunstocks.com , Accurate Innovations. Here is an example of their work.
full

full
New member here that signed up specifically to ask about this rifle, & also get recommendations. Please share details.

You are left handed as well so you can appreciate why I’m asking.
I see 2 choices for myself-

1. Find a model 70 LH, which is difficult but possible & have it built into a .375 Ruger.

2. Buy the only Ruger LH 375 I’ve seen on Gunbroker that doesn’t have that stupid striped stock.

The chances of me getting the opportunity to go to Africa on Safari are slim but I’ve always wanted to do so & I’ve always wanted a big rifle. I’ll find a use for it I’m sure. Bear & Elk/Moose if nothing more.

I like the .375 Ruger on paper & with a set of dies, some brass, & projectiles I’d be set. I wish they’d built it on a true magnum action but I understand using the standard length action was part of the draw.

Please Advise.

I’m currently tracking this Belgium custom .458WM on a auction site & hoping the Big Bore caliber scares away most weekend warriors + not a
caliber you see :X3: on a Drive Hunt or High Seat here in Europe! Fingers crossed …

That’s gorgeous! Good luck @Jaegger !

@hseII The donor M70 action for the above rifle cost me about $1K, gunsmithing (SSK Industries) for about $1,300 including gunkote for $195. Stock, the sky is the limit depending on wood, I went a bit overboard with the Turkish stock shown above.

That would be your option ONE. A variation on the option ONE is to go with the Defiance Machine Devian Hunter action for a tad more.

Everything also depends on your budget. Anything custom is going to cost more than buying a standard factory rifle.

That’s gorgeous! Good luck @Jaegger !
Thx you sir! I’ve committed enough € to the bid unless a deep pockets Hunter/Investor blows the auction price up all quite possible!?

Last month, I was fighting for Mauser 98 barrel/action only in .500 Jeff & I was atop the bid until someone bump €300 inside of 30-seconds, I had time to counter & during those “seconds of thought” - Yes/No, fumbled the counter bid & lost out! Ugg.

If successful, I’ll bring it along for our Grand Place Beers/Fries day & Proudly Made in Belgium! (y)

Who do you recommend for a stock?
@7MAG - good luck w/ your project & enjoyable to daydream about options & the look of end project. I’m also currently in that Happy Project Place w/ a semi-custom Big Bore build as we speak.

I say semi-custom, I’m following @Hogpatrol credence to save $$ & researching an age appropriate & preferable European make/model (cuz that’s where I currently live) rifle in caliber: .404 Jeff, .416 Rigby or .458 WM. The .404 Jeff & .416 Rigby proving hard finds here …

Stocks: I recently found out a full blown Custom Stock from a blank & w/ proper bells/whistles are pricey - more than I thought. That said, the investment $$ is a life-time & more …

I’m in talks w/ RMS CUSTOMS (Robert) out of AZ to help w/ my recent purchase, mid 80’s original hog back stock on CZ ZKK 602 in .375 H&H that’s gotta go from factory drab to damn!

Happy Trails!

Last edited by a moderator:

Last month, I was fighting for Mauser 98 barrel/action only in .500 Jeff & I was atop the bid until someone bump €300 inside of 30-seconds, I had time to counter & during those “seconds of thought” - Yes/No, fumbled the counter bid & lost out! Ugg.

If the auction site does not extend the bidding process as an "anti-snipe" tactic I'd recommend waiting until the last few seconds to place a bid. It eliminates going on a bidding war and a lot of times people that have bid earlier are not online at that time as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyceBeard

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!