rcarpenter

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
North American Falconers Association
Hi all,

So, I managed to find a pair of Courteney Selous boots in my size available here in the states. I got them today and they fit very well and seem very comfortable. The care instructions are missing from the box, so I was wondering if I should polish them before wearing them, and how often thereafter they need polishing?

Any other advice to make them last?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 9.41.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 9.41.58 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 137
Below is what Courteney says. I have three pairs. I use a damp towel to wipe them off then use normal clear polish I get from Wal Mart. Seems to work fine for me.

https://www.courteneyboot.com/courteney-product-care/

Product Care Information
  • Product Care Information

Scroll down for cleaning suede, Hippo and Ostrich leathers.

For impatient readers and people in a hurry:

Buffalo, Kudu and Elephant leather Courteney boots:

• Clean the dust off your boots with a damp cloth. Do not use the cloth from the kitchen sink.
  • Polish.

Note well!

✗ Do not use saddle soap – it will rot the stitching.

✗ Do not use pure Neats Foot Oil or similar – it will rot the stitching.

✗ Do not use pure dubbin – it will rot the stitching.

✔ DO use any product that describes itself as “polish for leather footwear”

✗ Do not stand in oil, diesel, petrol, solvents – rubber is allergic to all of these.

✗ Do not sit with your Courteney boots against the fire – you will damage the cement that bonds your sole to your boot.

Water and wear remove the original oil from the leather. When the tiny fibres dry out they become hard and brittle and break easily, shortening the life of the leather. Polish your boots regularly and they will last a long time.

cleaning-kit.jpg

Cleaning leather Courteneys
If your boots are dusty then wipe them with a cloth dipped in water with a very small amount of ordinary dishwashing liquid, and wrung out, then again with the cloth rinsed in plain water and wrung out. This will be enough to get the surface dust off before polishing.

If your Buffalo or Elephant leather boots are more dirty than dusty you can wash them:

✗ Do not put them in the washing machine

✗ Try not to get them too wet. Don’t saturate them.

✔ DO wash carefully with your own fair hands

✔ Stuff them with newspaper and shape, then leave in a cool, shady, airy place to dry naturally, and slowly, in a gentle breeze. ✔ ✔ ✔

✔ When dry, polish well.

The leather fibres burn easily, especially when leather is wet, and should never be dried with artificial heat.

✗ Do not dry near a fire

✗ Do not dry near a radiator

✗ Do not dry in the sun

✗ Do not dry in a tumble drier

✔ DO dry slowly in a cool, shady, airy place

If your boots have become wet from rain or puddles then wipe, leave to dry in a cool, shady, airy place, and polish.

Remember – your boots are made of leather:

✗ don’t stand in a river and fish in your Courteneys

✗ don’t stand at the edge of the sea and fish in your Courteneys

suede-sample.jpg

Cleaning Suede Courteneys
Your Rhodesian vellies are hand-made of genuine Kudu suede in the traditional way.

You may wash them gently with lukewarm water with a small amount of ordinary dishwashing liquid, using a soft brush. Try not to saturate the whole boot. Blot dry with a moist, clean cloth. Pack the insides tightly with newspaper and shape, then allow to dry in a cool, airy and shady place.

✗ Do not dry near a fire

✗ Do not dry near a radiator

✗ Do not dry in the sun

✗ Do not dry in a tumble drier

✔ DO dry slowly in a cool, shady, airy place

✔ When dry, brush suede with a clean brush to restore the nap

Traditional cleaning: Since time immemorial the owners of bush vellies have ‘dry-cleaned’ theirs using coarse, dry maize meal and a stiff scrubbing brush. The meal absorbs grease stains and lifts dirt, and the scrubbing raises the suede ‘nap’ to its original condition. Simply dampen the outside of the vellies, coat them with dry uncooked mielie meal and leave to dry in a warm place. Brush off and they’ll look as good as new.

hippo-sample.jpg

Cleaning Hippo Courteneys
Hippopotamus leather has an absolutely beautiful striated appearance and is superbly soft and velvety to the touch. It is extremely flexible and durable as well as being really strong and comfortable. Hippo leather always carries scars from the tremendous battles waged during its life and these are wonderful characteristics of the finished leather. We deliver our Hippo boots with the natural ‘suede’ finish. You may choose to keep that suede look, or polish the leather in which case it will become smooth.

The ‘suede’ may be preserved by use of a good quality commercial preparation, and there are also very good cleaning products available.

ostrich-sample.jpg

Cleaning Ostrich Courteneys
Ostrich boots are among the most comfortable leather boots you can buy. Ostrich leather is durable and can be dyed any colour. It’s also one of the toughest, yet most pliable of the exotic leathers. Full of natural oils, it has a high resistance to drying, cracking and stiffness. Caring for them properly will ensure they remain supple and last you for a long time.

To extend the life of your Ostrich boots and keep them looking great, it’s important to clean and treat them on a regular basis:

• Remove all the loose dirt and dust with a soft cloth or soft brush.
  • Polish the boots with natural wax Courteney polish and buff with a soft brush or soft cloth in a circular motion.
  • Do not use any household cleaning materials, chemicals or abrasive products.
  • If the boots get wet, allow them to dry naturally away from sunlight in a cool airy place, then polish.
  • If you get grease on the leather, sprinkle the stain with a light layer of talcum powder and let it sit for an hour. Brush off with a clean dry cloth.
  • Other stains should be wiped off with a damp, not wet, soft cloth as soon as possible.
  • Between outings, store your boots in a cool dry place, in the cloth bag provided. Do not store in a plastic bag.
  • If the soles wear out they can be replaced easily.

Attachments

• cleaning-kit.jpg
    cleaning-kit.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 118
  • hippo-sample.jpg
    hippo-sample.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 123
  • ostrich-sample.jpg
    ostrich-sample.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 96
  • suede-sample.jpg
    suede-sample.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 145
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 9.42.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 9.42.46 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 105
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 9.42.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 9.42.48 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 103
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 9.42.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 9.42.50 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 121
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 9.42.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 9.42.51 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 301
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 9.42.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 9.42.53 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 95
Last edited by a moderator:
image.jpg
Yep, all good info and advice straight from Courteney.
Somewhere in that I think it says it’s OK to use products designed for boots/leather.
And use common sense, clean the mud off, keep them clean and use a suitable polish to preserve
Image above is their product.
I guess it’s shows the types of product/ingredient that preserves leather and are endorsed by them.
I hope that helps.

Congrats! I have a couple pairs. Each model is slightly different but they do form well to individual feet. Some feet need added insoles for best fit and comfort. Since they are all leather they do break in. Wear them regularly and they will continue to get more and more comfortable as they adjust to your foot. They are not mountaineering boots nor for extended wet conditions, they are mainly walking (trekking) boots for hot/ dry conditions in sandy and scrabble regolith terrain. If you use them in Africa and get to do some hot miles of tracking in sand, you may learn to appreciate them even more. Just keep them clean and use the cream treatment they come with as CBH posted- good stuff actually. Renaissance wax or neutral Kiwi polish also works.

That's what I use on most of my leather items, I love the stuff.

Thanks! I've seen that around before. My boots came with a jar of Courteney's polish, but I'll probably pick one of these up to use after their stuff is gone.

Below is what Courteney says. I have three pairs. I use a damp towel to wipe them off then use normal clear polish I get from Wal Mart. Seems to work fine for me.

I saw that on their website. I'm curious whether it should be done before wearing them or if that's not necessary.

Yep, all good info and advice straight from Courteney.
Somewhere in that I think it says it’s OK to use products designed for boots/leather.
And use common sense, clean the mud off, keep them clean and use a suitable polish to preserve
Image above is their product.
I guess it’s shows the types of product/ingredient that preserves leather and are endorsed by them.
I hope that helps.

That does help. Thank you! My boots came with a jar of their polish, which I'll definitely use.

fourfive8 - Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. Our climate here is hot and dry most of the year. Cold and dry the rest. I felt like they should be a good fit locally as well if I manage to make it back to Africa.

I saw that on their website. I'm curious whether it should be done before wearing them or if that's not necessary.

Don't think you can hurt them by polishing them. Doubt they need it if you just bought them, although I bought a pair in Bulawayo that had evidently set on the store shelf for 3-4 years that seemed pretty dry. I polished them when I got home. The leather felt much better.

Don't think you can hurt them by polishing them. Doubt they need it if you just bought them, although I bought a pair in Bulawayo that had evidently set on the store shelf for 3-4 years that seemed pretty dry. I polished them when I got home. The leather felt much better.

Thanks! I'm not sure how long these sat as the stockist didn't have them listed on their website and they seem to have been returned at some point. I'll give them a polish just in case.

@rcarpenter, how did you find them at Stockist? Great find, congrats!!!

@rcarpenter, how did you find them at Stockist? Great find, congrats!!!

I contacted both Africa Sporting Creations and Westley Richards and asked directly about my size. Luckily Westley Richards had a pair in my size that wasn't listed on the website. I'm not sure how many pairs like that they have or if it was a fluke.

It was quite a shock to read this and realise the fine art of "wearing in ' leather shoes seems to be a dying art. Shows how much synthetic has taken over. Each dad or grandfather used to have his special formula. I had leather school shoes and walking/hunting boots growing up and here are the basics of most systems.

1/ Wear your thickest socks while you wear them in.
2/ Polish them before each wearing in session. It softens the leather and then your put them on and they mold to your feet.
3/Wear them around the house first-maybe in the evening or morning for short periods with the laces quite firmly tight. If they start to give you a rub spot or cut in a bit, give your feet a rest. Do not make a blister or sore spot. Try and see if you can get your fingers into the bit causing a sore spot and rub/flex/fold and work the leather to soften it-you can also add some more polish to that area while you work it. Your foot gives the leather some moisture and shape and warmth to help mold it to your feet and get that perfect fit.

I just use parafin wax polish because it melts in well- Just regular Nugget or Kiwi. I find beeswax formulations are not as soft and dont get into the leather as much.

Polish before you wear them with regular clear shoe wax. The sink in stuff only occasionally otherwise the leather gets gooey. Mine get polished every single morning and after about four years they have developed a lovely patina.
9E9888DB-0D7F-46E3-ABB7-3BD9D27DDE23.jpeg

Polish before you wear them with regular clear shoe wax. The sink in stuff only occasionally otherwise the leather gets gooey. Mine get polished every single morning and after about four years they have developed a lovely patina. View attachment 357994

You are much kinder to your shoes than I am to mine.;)

All my Courtney boots are brushed/ cleaned normally to get rid of all the dust and then wiped clean, treated immediately with Mink Oil. The last cans I obtained from Bass Pro. My boots remain soft and are my everyday work footwear.
My Minister of Home Affairs says I have an addiction for Courtney boots...
20200716_193152.jpeg

All my Courtney boots are brushed/ cleaned normally to get rid of all the dust and then wiped clean, treated immediately with Mink Oil. The last cans I obtained from Bass Pro. My boots remain soft and are my everyday work footwear.
My Minister of Home Affairs says I have an addiction for Courtney boots...View attachment 358078

Just curious. What is the retail price of Courteney Selous in Zimbabwe these days.

Just curious. What is the retail price of Courteney Selous in Zimbabwe these days.

With all their leather combinations available the prices vary for the Boot, from ~USD250 upwards. Their Hippo hide range has a premium and for us here in Zim usual are a special order.
Their flag ship Selous is superb quality.

The Bovines in Safari pattern are $170 and the best to wear as they are nice and soft. The buffalo Safaris are $250 and the ladies ostrich ones are about $340 I think. My wife and daughter wear the ostrich ones and are forever getting comments.

With all their leather combinations available the prices vary for the Boot, from ~USD250 upwards. Their Hippo hide range has a premium and for us here in Zim usual are a special order.
Their flag ship Selous is superb quality.

Appreciate the info. I was just looking for the base price like buffalo with the kudu/impala tongue/padding. They are not cheap even in Zim. The days of picking them up for under $100usd when the Zim currency was on the skids is long gone.:)

They certainly are a quality boot. I have the Hunter, Selous, Safari, plus a TAG in hippo which isn't near the quality. Two are for mucking around in and two are more casual like church and going out. I wear them about seven months a year. The rest of the time I am in sandals.

upload_2020-7-16_13-32-12.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deaner20

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt