Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Anyone know the time frame for these or what models they were used on? I know they exist, but never have seen one.

TIA

That pretty much concurs with what little I found, Blue Book. I ask because some seller on GB has a couple of older post 64 rifles listed as CRPF. I asked him about it and he just pointed me to MGW website that shows they exist ( I knew that ), but doesnt give much info on them.

I pasted some of that info from CH to the dude.

Thanks!

Had to remind myself so pulled the below info off the web.

1992 to 2006 Model 70

"Starting in 1992, Winchester re-introduced many features of the pre-'64 rifles, while also continuing to manufacture less expensive variants. The Post-'92 Model 70 is an extensive rifle line that boasts nearly all of the features of the original line, but with some updated equipment, such as the Controlled Round Push Feed action and synthetic stocks. The popular Shadow variants feature black resin stocks, which reduce the price of the firearm significantly, and hold up better than wood stocks over time. Some of the modern rifles also use high performance McMillan or Bell and Carlson fiberglass stocks, though these rifles tend to be expensive. Particular models feature a one-piece aluminum pillar block bedding for greater accuracy, and some models have fluting of the barrel to reduce weight and vent the barrel for additional cooling. Carbon fiber barrels are also found on select models to reduce weight and dissipate heat faster. Walnut stocks are still found across the line in satin finishes, and laminated walnut stocks are added to the mix for structural stability in extreme dry or wet conditions. The Model 70 is offered in all of the previous chamberings as the original, and is now supplemented with newer rounds, including the Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) and Winchester Super Short Magnum (WSSM) cartridges, which are magnum loaded rounds, but are shorter in length and wider in diameter, so spent cartridges take less time to eject and use less powder. However, these short magnum cartridges reduce magazine capacity and feeding reliability, due to their extra width and rebated rim.

I owned a 2002 era CRPF coyote lite, chambered in 7mmWSM. I bought it to be a donor but never built on it and sold it. The rifle fed and extracted just fine. No issues for the short fat case. By the time you put the money into the action, you could have built off of a custom or a more desirable CRF action. They are still cool and unique though.

My CRPF rifle was the original coyote with the brown laminate stock not the newer coyote lite….

what is CRPF? Can somebody post a picture of that bolt?

proxy.php.jpg

I’ve got a couple of the Coyote’s in the safe both in 223 WSSM, i never paid attention to the difference, in my defense I wasn’t worried about having to shoot a charging prairie dog while I was upside down in the rain but....
I need to find them and check this out. All I remember is they fed great and were absolutely hell on a dog town.

I have never seen the CRPF action before. Out of curiosity, at which point in operation does the extractor on CRPF action engage the rim? Does it happen while picking the cartridge out of the magazine or does it snap over while locking the bolt? The open bolt face would suggest the rim slides under the extractor on its way out of the magazine, am I understanding this correctely?

"The open bolt face would suggest the rim slides under the extractor on its way out of the magazine, am I understanding this correctely?"

Yes, that is the correct understanding. The case head simply slides up the bolt face after the lower edge of the bolt face picks the cartridge up from the magazine. Very similar to and not unlike how a "regular" Mauser type claw extractor works. Main difference is the case head rim slides under a spring loaded extractor, not a claw extractor. Both gain "control" of the cartridge at about the same time during the feeding cycle.

Probably Sako85 would fit in controlled round push feed definition

Just as per my previous thread, mauser action becomes obsolete, and so does this discusion, pf vs crf.

Yes, the modern mass production brands will do whatever it takes to avoid mauser action. This includes any other type of action as acceptable, just not to have long extractor claw, and, secondly will do whatever it takes not to make magnum size action, by inventing short fat magnums with balistics close to or equal to old long cartridges. The trade off, generally, is smaller magazine capacity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulienneYe

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg