Cape Buffalo pictures

Imagen 049.JPG



Mkuze Falls PGR, Kwazulu/Natal 2010

Heym Light African Express, 375HH, Federal TBBC 300 Grs.
 
Absolutely incredible bulls @redleg! I also love your Churchill quote...he is one of my very favorite people I admire.
I agree, but it likely isn't that Churchill. There is a lot of debate with regard to its origin.

It has been cited as first used by George Orwell, the American Novelist Winston Churchill, Prime Minister Winston Spenser Churchill, Richard Grenier, and even Rudyard Kipling.

I have never found a text - speech or writing where Prime Minister Churchill used it.

For a long time I have believed it was the American author Winston Churchill who first used it, but am now convinced that was also incorrect.

Orwell expressed very similar sentiments but not exactly in those words.

I am now inclined to think that the quote is a product of quotation drift that can be traced originally to Kipling's poem "Tommy" written in 1890. In it he writes of the public's usual disdain for soldiers until they need them.

I went into a public- ’ouse to get a pint o’beer,
The publican ’e up an’ sez, “We serve no red-coats here.”
The girls be’ind the bar they laughed an’ giggled fit to die,
…

O makin’ mock o’ uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an’ they’re starvation cheap;
An’ hustlin’ drunken sodgers when they’re goin’ large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin’ in full kit.2


Over the next century and a bit, authors like Orwell and the American Churchill dressed it up and made it more powerful. After WWII it simply seemed like something Prime Minister Winston Churchill should have said even if he didn't.

However it came into its present form, it is a very accurate observation.
 
I took this Cape Buffalo 3 weeks ago in RSA, Northwest Province. This was my first Cape Buffalo.
Image1693698360.212285.jpg
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,294
Messages
1,571,941
Members
169,469
Latest member
LupeMcConn
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top