Buying A Used Heym Double Rifle - Any Advice?

There is no doubt that the 89b is an improvement over the 88B. That is not to say that the 88b was inferior to start with. I have handled both, next to each other and there is a distinct different feel to the 89b, to me is balances better. So I bought one.
As Kevin stated just about everything on the 89b is a improvement in “balance & feel” like you pick up you double to go check on something and it feels “just right.
Articulating front trigger is a noce addition.

Mark, would you consider selling the Krieghoff
Thanks...
I would not sell my Heym. My beautiful Krieghoff? Gosh, I don't know, it is so nice...
Let's not derail this thread. I prefer to conduct business via PMs and phone calls. If anyone wants to discuss stuff with me, I am not hard to find... :)

Last edited:
Just food for thought. First excited for you getting into DRs…you will love the experience! Second it seems you are looking for a quality starting DR to see how you like it before you buy your own custom fit DR? If it was me given I have owned 7 DRs and have stuck with my forever Rigby in 470 NE I recommend looking at Champlin in Enid, OK for a new Chapuis 450-400 or 470 to start. Great gun and they will cut stick to your specific LOP. $12,000-$14,000 brand new. THEN move to a higher price Heym if you desire. Just myself after owning them all I have not found any quality difference between Chapuis and Heym but $6 to $8k in price due to name brand. Both great rifles that will not disappoint. If you buy a new Heym you will pay top dollar with a 2-3 year wait
It seems you are well qualified having owned 7 double rifles, I'm sure your Rigby is an amazing gun. Thanks for your input, you have certainly outlined one of my options.

I recently purchased a Chapuis double in 30-06. I think Chapuis make good products but I see Heym with a higher perceived quality. My thought is that buying a used Heym as my first large double rifle gives me a certain confidence that I can sell it on for more or less what I paid for it. I will also have to use it for a couple of years hunting buffalo mainly.

It's hard entering the larger double rifle area as it's not easy to find or test many guns, it seems that you don't get a lot of knowledge until you actual own and shoot larger doubles.

My plan is to shoot a couple of used guns and to buy one in a caliber that feels manageable and comfortable to shoot, without experience it's hard to define that in advance. I like the idea of a used Heym as it may stay within the family, my youngest son of 21 is hunting buffalo with me.

Once I get a little more experience I can make a proper decision on selecting and defining a new gun, I appreciate that a new Heym is not a cheap purchase but feel lucky that I can make that choice. Current delivery from Heym is under 2 years.

I would advise hiring Rookhawk as a consultant.
There is an incredible amount of information one can glean from AH along with plenty of knowledgeable members that I’m sure would be more than happy to advise someone on a rifle purchase without requiring a commission..

There is an incredible amount of information one can glean from AH along with plenty of knowledgeable members that I’m sure would be more than happy to advise someone on a rifle purchase without requiring a commission..
I was suggesting a level of service well beyond that. There would be much involvement by a consultant related to the inspection and analysis of the individual rifle. Some of these are high end and can be expensive. I wouldn’t , as an uninformed buyer, go into a deal like this without a professional by my side. You might get lucky without one but in most cases the service would pay for itself and the buyer very happy as is the case usually with Rookhawk.

I was suggesting a level of service well beyond that. There would be much involvement by a consultant related to the inspection and analysis of the individual rifle. Some of these are high end and can be expensive. I wouldn’t , as an uninformed buyer, go into a deal like this without a professional by my side. You might get lucky without one but in most cases the service would pay for itself and the buyer very happy as is the case usually with Rookhawk.
If you’re going to go that route it’d probably be best to have it inspected by an actual professional. I’ll leave it at that. Have a good evening

In my experience there is no one better than JJ Perodeau to do this. He has inspected every DR I have bought, gave his approval and fixed anything that was needed so the gun was perfect before I even fired it. Priceless!!!

Exactly. It makes no sense to hire someone who doesn’t actually get the rifle in their hands, can identify any issues with it and most importantly, address the issues if you want to go ahead with the purchase. Unless you’re hiring someone who can do that you’re really just wasting money because if you really want it and the price is right you’re going to have to send it to JJ anyway. All you’re doing is adding a middle man. Best just to make an agreement with the seller to have it inspected by JJ Perodeau. He’ll inspect it thoroughly and advise you on how to proceed. So unless he’s doing that for you then he’s really doing no more than probably half a dozen other AH members could or would do for free as a friendly gesture. I’m not saying someone’s time isn’t worth something but I do not see the value in this unless you send it to a true professional.

Last edited:
I see two parts to the vetting process:
Firstly on a particular make and model in general are there any consistent flaws, or even idiosyncrasies that need to be known. For example the clocking mechanism on a Kriedhoff needs to be known about towards making a decision. Or the propensity of a model to double discharge, etc. This sort of information, particularly about a flaws would best be collected from current or past owners.

Secondly, the specific report upon a particular double, a check out to see if anything is actually wrong with it, outside of it's particular character. For example the gun is an ejector, but one barrel doesn't eject. This kind of assessment definitely belongs to a qualified assessor who can not only identify the problem, but fix it if requested.

IMG_8600.jpeg

This I thought was a very thorough podcast on the in’s and out’s. Might help someone make a more informed decision on which way to swing.

Gentlemen, I have been searching for over a year for a new double. I have pretty much narrowed my search down to Heym, Merkel, Krieghoff, and Holland.

Hi Upnorth, Call Chris Sells at Heym USA in Dallas. He can tell you all you need to know about Heym. A very nice guy too!

Gentlemen, I have been searching for over a year for a new double. I have pretty much narrowed my search down to Heym, Merkel, Krieghoff, and Holland.
Hi Upnorth, Call Chris Sells at Heym USA in Dallas. He can tell you all you need to know about Heym. A very nice guy too!
I did call Chris Sells last week, very nice and knowledgeable guy. When I've had a little bit of DG double rifle experience under my belt and feel that I know what I want I may consider a new Heym order.

Funny I would see this thread now, I just posted the below on another thread (the sale of my own K Gun)

So, here you go, UpNorthMI, I hope that this will be useful :)

Buying a used double

You get what you pay for!
I wish I could claim authorship, but the quote if from Red Leg, and goes along the lines of: beware the differences between a rifle that will last 100 rounds and a rifle that will last 100 years. I can only bow down and say Amen!

Play safe! Buy from a reputable maker. With Heym, UpNorthMI, you are safe! The same would be with Krieghoff, Chapuis, Blaser, or Merkel, not to mention Rigby (made in London, NOT in California), Holland & Holland, Westley Richards, Purdey, Woodward, Francotte, Thys, Franz Sodia, etc. and also a number of other makers of the Golden Area such as Boss, Lang, Lancaster, etc.
DO NOT listen to the sirens, and stay away from $8,000 brand new double rifles in DG stopper calibers, however alluring the engraving and the wood might be, these are but details compared to what counts in a DG double...

What's behind a name? But for a used gun, buying the name is not enough. Some great guns have been completely trashed by careless owners, or damaged beyond repair by irresponsible reloading or ill-conceived bullets.

As a semi-retired Hydrogeologist/Engineer, I must ask what a "perfect water table is!" They are rare indeed in my line of work...Pls. 'splain, Lucy!

The "water table" is the top flat part of the action upon which the bottom flat part of the barrels (the "barrels flats") comes to rest when the action is closed.

The "face" is the vertical part of the action against which the breech of the barrels come to rest when the action is closed.

Two great potential issues with a double can be:
  1. Worn bolts that slide in the underlugs and that do not draw the barrels flats tightly onto the action water table, and the breech tightly against the face.
  2. A bent water table, when the action was submitted to excessive force with over-pressure ammo (cordite ammo cooked in the sun was the classic issue; ill-advised maximum reloads are the modern issue) that try to force the action open during firing. As the brass is pushed back on the face and tries to escape upward because the barrels hinge pin is located under the barrels, the barrels that are locked to the water table by the bolts in the underlugs cannot move, and the action itself bends. Remember that double rifles take a lot less pressure (~40,000 PSI) than bolt actions (~65,000 PSI).
It must be noted that both issues result in similar symptoms: a gap on the face, and a gap at the rear of the water table where it meets the face, but the telltale sign of a bent water table is that it will not be straight under a machinist edge.

A double rifle "on the face" and with a "tight water table" is a rifle that has no gap between face and breech, and no gap anywhere between barrels flats and water table, especially where the water table meets the face.

You can test this very easily. A double rifle should not be able to fully close, that is the opening top lever should not be able to swing back all the way to the center of the action if a thin wedge of 20 lb. paper (thinnest common copy paper) is placed either between the breech and the face, or between the barrels flats and the water table. In the old days the test used cigarette paper. The action was supposed to fully close and lock, but the paper was supposed to tear when pulled from the closed action.

DO NOT buy (and be circumspect of shooting too much) a double, used or new, (yes, new!!! you would be surprised by some lower priced doubles........... you get what you pay for ...........) that allows a wedge of paper to slide freely between the breech and the face, or between the barrels flats and the water table, and/or shows light between the water table and a machinist edge placed on top of it. It is either a poorly made double, or a worn double (this can possibly be fixed by replacing the bolts that lock in the underlugs, but not always), or a damaged double.

Conversely, a double does not need to be so tight that you need to bend over your knee to break it open (that is more than awkward when the Buff charges!). A well broken-in double with extractors will open under the weight of its barrels, and one with ejectors will easily open with a small downward pressure on the barrels, but either must have zero lateral or transversal play caused by a worn hinge pin (that can be replaced, but not always). So, tight but smooth is what you are looking for.

Check the usual and visual clues:
  • Smoothness of the chambers - cordite used to corrode them incredibly fast; so does lack of proper care today in humid climates;
  • Absence of erosion of the throats - caused by repeated shooting of excessively long strings;
  • Sharpness of the rifling - worn barrels from numerous steel jacketed solids in the old days, or use of too-hard early modern naval bronze bullets (e.g. A Square Monolithic);
  • Rifling pushed out - look at the barrels outside tangentially facing the light; if you can discern the shadow of the rifling on the external side of the barrels, DO NOT buy. The rifling has been pushed outward by naval bronze solids, typically A Square Monolithic, and the barrels are damaged. Will they burst on the next round? Likely not, but who knows? Yes, it is real, I saw it with my own eyes...
The other major potential issue, aside from the above easy to check clues, is worn or ill adjusted sears that will cause the rifle to "double" (fire both shots quasi simultaneously).

This can only be tested by firing the rifle, but not everyone can test it. Indeed most of the rifles doubling are not due to defective rifles, but to novice shooters who "strum" the rear trigger under recoil.

Assuming that you know how to shoot a double without hitting involuntarily the rear trigger under recoil ("strumming" it), the way to test (without reaping your head and shoulder off) that a rifle is not doubling is to load a live round in the first barrel and a primed shell (no powder, no bullet) in the second barrel. If both primers are hit when you open the action after firing the first barrel, the rifle has a problem...

It goes to say that if you think that your rifle doubles, and you ask a more experienced shooter to perform the above test, and the second primer comes out pristine, you know what/who the problem is...

And of course, the rifle must group less than 4" at 50 yards with about any commercial ammo, and the holy grail is 2" at 50 yards (Rigby say 1.5" at 65 yards, which is the same as the trajectories start to converge), with your hunting ammo. Yes, yes, I know, I can already hear the slurping of the 1/4" "snipers" licking the stamps for the hate mail about the unacceptability of a 2" groups, never mind 4" groups, but in the real world, where doubles are mostly shot off hand at big targets (including elephant brains) at short range, 2" is a 1/4 minute of Buffalo vitals and 1/2 minute of Elephant brain, and even 4" is OK if your ammo was lost in transit and you can only shot what you find in country.

And the rifle must fit you. In the old days, and still today for wealthy customer's, people were measured for their double, as they were for their suits. But if you are blessed with the "common man" anatomy, neither too tall or too short, anywhere between 5 ft. some and 6ft and a few, and you look good in an off-the-rack suit, you will generally be OK with a double produced by a maker that uses a standard template to shape the stock, which is the majority of doubles produced, save here or there for an artisanal one.

Everything else is just cosmetics... Wood can be refinished, steel re-polished and re-blued, rear or front sight height changed, recoil pad lengthened or shortened, etc. etc.

All of that to say that @Green Chile said something really profound when it comes to buy a used double, or even a new one for that matter: getting a rifle that has been "sorted" is an enormous plus.

That was a big part of picking up this particular double. Pascal has it well sorted with the red dot and regulation.

Last edited:
Funny I would see this thread now, I just posted the below on another thread (the sale of my own K Gun)

So, here you go, UpNorthMI, I hope that this will be useful :)

Buying a used double

You get what you pay for!
I wish I could claim authorship, but the quote if from Red Leg, and goes along the lines of: beware the differences between a rifle that will last 100 rounds and a rifle that will last 100 years. I can only bow down and say Amen!

Play safe! Buy from a reputable maker. With Heym, UpNorthMI, you are safe! The same would be with Krieghoff, Chapuis, Blaser, or Merkel, not to mention Rigby (made in London, NOT in California), Holland & Holland, Westley Richards, Purdey, Woodward, Francotte, Thys, Franz Sodia, etc. and also a number of other makers of the Golden Area such as Boss, Lang, Lancaster, etc.
DO NOT listen to the sirens, and stay away from $8,000 brand new double rifles in DG stopper calibers, however alluring the engraving and the wood might be, these are but details compared to what counts in a DG double...

What's behind a name? But for a used gun, buying the name is not enough. Some great guns have been completely trashed by careless owners, or damaged beyond repair by irresponsible reloading or ill-conceived bullets.

The "water table" is the top flat part of the action upon which the bottom flat part of the barrels (the "barrels flats") comes to rest when the action is closed.

The "face" is the vertical part of the action against which the breech of the barrels come to rest when the action is closed.

Two great potential issues with a double can be:
  1. Worn bolts that slide in the underlugs and that do not draw the barrels flats tightly onto the action water table, and the breech tightly against the face.
  2. A bent water table, when the action was submitted to excessive force with over-pressure ammo (cordite ammo cooked in the sun was the classic issue; ill-advised maximum reloads are the modern issue) that try to force the action open during firing. As the brass is pushed back on the face and tries to escape upward because the barrels hinge pin is located under the barrels, the barrels that are locked to the water table by the bolts in the underlugs cannot move, and the action itself bends. Remember that double rifles take a lot less pressure (~40,000 PSI) than bolt actions (~65,000 PSI).
It must be noted that both issues result in similar symptoms: a gap on the face, and a gap at the rear of the water table where it meets the face, but the telltale sign of a bent water table is that it will not be straight under a machinist edge.

A double rifle "on the face" and with a "tight water table" is a rifle that has no gap between face and breech, and no gap anywhere between barrels flats and water table, especially where the water table meets the face.

You can test this very easily. A double rifle should not be able to fully close, that is the opening top lever should not be able to swing back all the way to the center of the action if a thin wedge of 20 lb. paper (thinnest common copy paper) is placed either between the breech and the face, or between the barrels flats and the water table. In the old days the test used cigarette paper. The action was supposed to fully close and lock, but the paper was supposed to tear when pulled from the closed action.

DO NOT buy (and be circumspect of shooting too much) a double, used or new, (yes, new!!! you would be surprised by some lower priced doubles........... you get what you pay for ...........) that allows a wedge of paper to slide freely between the breech and the face, or between the barrels flats and the water table, and/or shows light between the water table and a machinist edge placed on top of it. It is either a poorly made double, or a worn double (this can possibly be fixed by replacing the bolts that lock in the underlugs, but not always), or a damaged double.

Conversely, a double does not need to be so tight that you need to bend over your knee to break it open (that is more than awkward when the Buff charges!). A well broken-in double with extractors will open under the weight of its barrels, and one with ejectors will easily open with a small downward pressure on the barrels, but either must have zero lateral or transversal play caused by a worn hinge pin (that can be replaced, but not always). So, tight but smooth is what you are looking for.

Check the usual and visual clues:
  • Smoothness of the chambers - cordite used to corrode them incredibly fast; so does lack of proper care today in humid climates;
  • Absence of erosion of the throats - caused by repeated shooting of excessively long strings;
  • Sharpness of the rifling - worn barrels from numerous steel jacketed solids in the old days, or use of too-hard early modern naval bronze bullets (e.g. A Square Monolithic);
  • Rifling pushed out - look at the barrels outside tangentially facing the light; if you can discern the shadow of the rifling on the external side of the barrels, DO NOT buy. The rifling has been pushed outward by naval bronze solids, typically A Square Monolithic, and the barrels are damaged. Will they burst on the next round? Likely not, but who knows? Yes, it is real, I saw it with my own eyes...
The other major potential issue, aside from the above easy to check clues, is worn or ill adjusted sears that will cause the rifle to "double" (fire both shots quasi simultaneously).

This can only be tested by firing the rifle, but not everyone can test it. Indeed most of the rifles doubling are not due to defective rifles, but to novice shooters who "strum" the rear trigger under recoil.

Assuming that you know how to shoot a double without hitting involuntarily the rear trigger under recoil ("strumming" it), the way to test (without reaping your head and shoulder off) that a rifle is not doubling is to load a live round in the first barrel and a primed shell (no powder, no bullet) in the second barrel. If both primers are hit when you open the action after firing the first barrel, the rifle has a problem...

It goes to say that if you think that your rifle doubles, and you ask a more experienced shooter to perform the above test, and the second primer comes out pristine, you know what/who the problem is...

And of course, the rifle must group less than 4" at 50 yards with about any commercial ammo, and the holy grail is 2" at 50 yards (Rigby say 1.5" at 65 yards, which is the same as the trajectories start to converge), with your hunting ammo. Yes, yes, I know, I can already hear the slurping of the 1/4" "snipers" licking the stamps for the hate mail about the unacceptability of a 2" groups, never mind 4" groups, but in the real world, where doubles are mostly shot off hand at big targets (including elephant brains) at short range, 2" is a 1/4 minute of Buffalo vitals and 1/2 minute of Elephant brain, and even 4" is OK if your ammo was lost in transit and you can only shot what you find in country.

And the rifle must fit you. In the old days, and still today for wealthy customer's, people were measured for their double, as they were for their suits. But if you are blessed with the "common man" anatomy, neither too tall or too short, anywhere between 5 ft. some and 6ft and a few, and you look good in an off-the-rack suit, you will generally be OK with a double produced by a maker that uses a standard template to shape the stock, which is the majority of doubles produced, save here or there for an artisanal one.

Everything else is just cosmetics... Wood can be refinished, steel re-polished and re-blued, rear or front sight height changed, recoil pad lengthened or shortened, etc. etc.

All of that to say that @Green Chile said something really profound when it comes to buy a used double, or even a new one for that matter: getting a rifle that has been "sorted" is an enormous plus.
As suspected, the only "flaw" with using water table as jargon, is that a water table is NOT flat at all...unless it's glacial or rain water trapped in a confined aquifer (or the natural underground "tanks" often w/ spanish names in the SW, tanajas, etc., in which case it's NOT a water table, or unconfined aquifer in unconsolidated, near-surface soils.) The water table follows the topograpy; it has a slope or hydraulic gradient (without it, the water would never flow!) Even a decent sized pond, lake and of course streams, rivers that appear flat-they of course have a gradient that causes them to fill up and discharge. While it is possible to have relatively small flat spots where the ground is flat above, it still slopes up towards the hill it came from and the water body it eventually discharges into. We have to measure the slope of the water table in small increments to determine the rate of flow, how much water we can extract (or pump treated stuff back into the aquifer as CA is fond of!) 'NOT faulting you. I also hear people saying "this is artesian water from our well..." ALL the time. I know of very few artesian wells (no pump required; it's under such a pressure head it just flows out of the ground naturally. PSU is fed by a HUGE artesian well at the bottom of a steep, tall mountain with fractured limestone as the "piping" system that allows the great flow and pressure buildup. I would NOT want a water table dimension on my receiver!!! LOL I never heard that said, so I had to ask! All else is detailed, valuable info for deciding upon a quality double!!!x10e23 Bidenomics FLAT (Economy/Gov't.) would be more apropos, although Perfectly Square, Trued, Blueprinted, and perfect CL (centerline) are machinists terms i'm exceedingly familiar with! Sry, i've been jaded by worldwide water tables that are def NOT square in chemistry or physicality!!! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamisonHug

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?
gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.