Buying A Used Heym Double Rifle - Any Advice?

There is no doubt that the 89b is an improvement over the 88B. That is not to say that the 88b was inferior to start with. I have handled both, next to each other and there is a distinct different feel to the 89b, to me is balances better. So I bought one.
As Kevin stated just about everything on the 89b is a improvement in “balance & feel” like you pick up you double to go check on something and it feels “just right.
Articulating front trigger is a noce addition.

Mark, would you consider selling the Krieghoff
Thanks...
I would not sell my Heym. My beautiful Krieghoff? Gosh, I don't know, it is so nice...
Let's not derail this thread. I prefer to conduct business via PMs and phone calls. If anyone wants to discuss stuff with me, I am not hard to find... :)

Last edited:
Just food for thought. First excited for you getting into DRs…you will love the experience! Second it seems you are looking for a quality starting DR to see how you like it before you buy your own custom fit DR? If it was me given I have owned 7 DRs and have stuck with my forever Rigby in 470 NE I recommend looking at Champlin in Enid, OK for a new Chapuis 450-400 or 470 to start. Great gun and they will cut stick to your specific LOP. $12,000-$14,000 brand new. THEN move to a higher price Heym if you desire. Just myself after owning them all I have not found any quality difference between Chapuis and Heym but $6 to $8k in price due to name brand. Both great rifles that will not disappoint. If you buy a new Heym you will pay top dollar with a 2-3 year wait
It seems you are well qualified having owned 7 double rifles, I'm sure your Rigby is an amazing gun. Thanks for your input, you have certainly outlined one of my options.

I recently purchased a Chapuis double in 30-06. I think Chapuis make good products but I see Heym with a higher perceived quality. My thought is that buying a used Heym as my first large double rifle gives me a certain confidence that I can sell it on for more or less what I paid for it. I will also have to use it for a couple of years hunting buffalo mainly.

It's hard entering the larger double rifle area as it's not easy to find or test many guns, it seems that you don't get a lot of knowledge until you actual own and shoot larger doubles.

My plan is to shoot a couple of used guns and to buy one in a caliber that feels manageable and comfortable to shoot, without experience it's hard to define that in advance. I like the idea of a used Heym as it may stay within the family, my youngest son of 21 is hunting buffalo with me.

Once I get a little more experience I can make a proper decision on selecting and defining a new gun, I appreciate that a new Heym is not a cheap purchase but feel lucky that I can make that choice. Current delivery from Heym is under 2 years.

I would advise hiring Rookhawk as a consultant.
There is an incredible amount of information one can glean from AH along with plenty of knowledgeable members that I’m sure would be more than happy to advise someone on a rifle purchase without requiring a commission..

There is an incredible amount of information one can glean from AH along with plenty of knowledgeable members that I’m sure would be more than happy to advise someone on a rifle purchase without requiring a commission..
I was suggesting a level of service well beyond that. There would be much involvement by a consultant related to the inspection and analysis of the individual rifle. Some of these are high end and can be expensive. I wouldn’t , as an uninformed buyer, go into a deal like this without a professional by my side. You might get lucky without one but in most cases the service would pay for itself and the buyer very happy as is the case usually with Rookhawk.

I was suggesting a level of service well beyond that. There would be much involvement by a consultant related to the inspection and analysis of the individual rifle. Some of these are high end and can be expensive. I wouldn’t , as an uninformed buyer, go into a deal like this without a professional by my side. You might get lucky without one but in most cases the service would pay for itself and the buyer very happy as is the case usually with Rookhawk.
If you’re going to go that route it’d probably be best to have it inspected by an actual professional. I’ll leave it at that. Have a good evening

In my experience there is no one better than JJ Perodeau to do this. He has inspected every DR I have bought, gave his approval and fixed anything that was needed so the gun was perfect before I even fired it. Priceless!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KlaraJordo

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt