Bring Black Bear Back

Doyled96

AH member
Reaction score
Hey all, friend of mine is doing a bow black bear hunt in Saskatchewan next year. Can he bring his pelt and bear meat back across country lines into the US?

Hey all, friend of mine is doing a bow black bear hunt in Saskatchewan next year. Can he bring his pelt and bear meat back across country lines into the US?
Oh yes! I flew from Saskatoon with meat and skull. Whatever you do not fly thru Toronto.

Oh yes! I flew from Saskatoon with meat and skull. Whatever you do not fly thru Toronto.
He is driving still no problem?

Biggest problem I've had is mud covering my license plate!!!!

No problems. Just have the paperwork that the outfitter should provide. Most of the time they haven't even needed to even see the bear.
I've done it at least a dozen times driving!
Excellent thank you!

Not a problem. You will have it tagged of course. Main thing is having your 4473 in order if needed for re-entry and your WiN card for hunting in Canada.

Not a problem. You will have it tagged of course. Main thing is having your 4473 in order if needed for re-entry and your WiN card for hunting in Canada.
What is a WiN card? I've never had one of those in Manitoba unless its included in my licenses and I just don't know it. I've never had a 4473 with me either. You've got me thinking I'm doing something wrong.

I don't know all the state/provincial regs but here's one answer...

Hunters must have a 10-digit Wildlife Identification Number (WIN) to apply for draws, purchase wildlife certificates, licences and replacements. WIN cards cost $8 plus GST, are valid for five years and are available from the same sources as hunting licences.

4473 is the US Customs form for serial numbered valuables taken abroad and brought back into the US...like guns. It's not always asked for but I would never leave the US without it for re-entry. It's almost always asked for at airport border crossings...not always on road crossings.

Just got back from Sask, nobody ever said anything about Win number????

It looks like WiN is an Alberta thing, @Green Chile had me worried for a minute lol. As far as the 4473 goes, I guess I never thought about it. I've always driven across.

WIN card is Alberta. You get a HAL# when hunting in Saskatchewan. Same thing.

That's interesting...I hunted SK this spring and the guide said to be sure and have my WiN number so he could get my license. I got it and he got my license. Not sure of what is required...do your research.

I don't know all the state/provincial regs but here's one answer...

Hunters must have a 10-digit Wildlife Identification Number (WIN) to apply for draws, purchase wildlife certificates, licences and replacements. WIN cards cost $8 plus GST, are valid for five years and are available from the same sources as hunting licences.
Alberta has the WIN, Sasktachewan has the HAL identification number.

Oh sorry...I thought it was WiN...HAL.

Sorry for the confusion...your outfitter/guide will know the right process. I just remember filling out the forms for Canada.

That's interesting...I hunted SK this spring and the guide said to be sure and have my WiN number so he could get my license. I got it and he got my license. Not sure of what is required...do your research.
May have been used a proof of a hunting license in another jurisdiction.

Hunting License, Tag attached to the bear. Export permit if required.

https://pubsaskdev.blob.core.window...nters%2Band%2BAnglers%2Bin%2BSaskatchewan.pdf

Exporting Big Game
You must provide the required documentation to take your
animal home with you after your successful hunt. One of
the following seals is required for export:

1. Big Game Licence Seal – where a provincial
hunting licence is required, the provincial hunting
licence and the associated seal authorizes a hunter
to export the harvested game outside the province.
This must be separated, completed and attached to
the head (antlers) of the animal, hide and meat. A
copy of your hunting licence, with the hunter's
name and other information including the seal
number, must be immediately available for
examination by an officer.
If someone other than the hunter is transporting
the animal out of Saskatchewan - to another
province or another country - you will also require
an export permit issued by the Saskatchewan
Ministry of Environment. This is in addition to the
orange big game seal.

2. Export Permit for Animals Harvested on First
Nation Reserve Land – since no provincial hunting
licence is required to harvest an animal on First
Nation reserve land, a separate export permit is
required to authorize the transport of harvested
game off First Nation reserve land within and
outside the province. Seals specific to this activity
are provided with the export permit. This must be
separated, completed and attached to the head
(antlers) of the animal, hide and meat. If the hunter
accompanies the animal, then the green tags serve
as the export permit and a separate document is
not required. The tags are put on the animal at the
time it's killed. If the outfitter is going to send
antlers or cape to the hunter later then an export
permit will be required along with the green tags.

Black Bear
A Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) Permit is required to export black bears out of Canada. However, hunters from the United States (U.S.) accompanying their legally tagged black bear (skull and raw hide with claws attached) are exempt. Legally tagged means the Big Game Licence Seal is completed, separated, and properly attached to the black bear. For black bears that have been tanned or processed or are being transported by
someone other than the hunter, a CITES permit is required when crossing international borders. This permit is also required to ship any other bear parts and is available from the Canadian Wildlife Service, Environment and Climate Change Canada.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GracielaSi

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]