Blaser R8 for Dangerous Game

The trigger is the best I have used on any production rifle - ever. And I don’t own a custom piece with a better one.
That is saying something...because I know how many custom rifles you own.

Breaks like a glass rod with virtually zero overtravel. Really light too, but it can be since the safety design *pretty much* prevents it from bumped off on accident. I was quite impressed. Interested to measure the pull weight one day when I think of it.

The length with barrel off is perfect for an SKB double bow case. Going to go in custom cut (by me and a knife lol) foam in the bottom, center foam, bow on top. Same setup with my S2 and my bow. Try that with a "normal" rifle ;)
‘Pretty much”? It isn’t a safety. It is a cocking slide. It simply can not be “bumped off”. The gun literally can not be fired, go off, or jarred loose unless the slide is pushed forward to the firing position.

‘Pretty much”? It isn’t a safety. It is a cocking slide. It simply can not be “bumped off”. The gun literally can not be fired, go off, or jarred loose unless the slide is pushed forward to the firing position.
Excuse my wording...I was going to type, "the safety/cocking mechanism is impossible to bump off" but then I figured that would guarantee that the first time I carry it I somehow find the one in a million way to do just that :ROFLMAO:

Has anyone used the blaser bipod?

I now have an R8 in .375h&h. If the 2nd rifle in my case is an R8 for my son in a 6.5 CM, is it silly to try and bring a .300 WM barrel also? I know I will use the .300 for elk in the fall, but would bringing it to Namibia just be carting more weight?

Tra3. I have the spartan bipod. I have never hunted with it, as I haven’t found a need for it in my neck of the woods, but it is nice because it is very light and easy to remove with the magnet. Spartan has some different longer leg lengths that may be useful in Africa, and also upgrades for the thumbscrew if you are interested that might be beneficial.

Canada has a pretty brutal selection of these rifles in our stores. Almost nothing.

I cancelled my Texas aoudad hunt that was supposed to be next week. I moved my limpopo trip from may 29 to August 2. Not impressed. Thanks to the rice rabies. So I was thinking the only thing to drown my sorrows would be a new gun. And have been browsing a ton of Canadian retailers. And we have very few models available. I have spoken to a few retailers and they claim they can bring them in. But with this current climate I am sure that will take a lifetime.

I'm not going to lie. I do love the idea of no lift bolt. They just need some match long barrels to even get me excited.
J Sip and Sons will make any barrel you want. I have a .300PRC coming any day now. Fluted and threaded.

Negligible. I now own the R8 in .375 (used a lot); .300 Win Mag (used less, but still meaningfully); and 6.5x55 plus .257 Weatherby Mag (used a bit). I guarantee you it is faster for three aimed shots than any lever action ever created. For aimed shots, it will give any semi-auto a run for its money. But it’s real attributes are the ergonomics and trigger (along with international transportability). The trigger is the best I have used on any production rifle - ever. And I don’t own a custom piece with a better one.
I agree the trigger is the most amazing thing, or maybe I should say it surprised me how good it was when I got it.
Philip

Canada has a pretty brutal selection of these rifles in our stores. Almost nothing.

I cancelled my Texas aoudad hunt that was supposed to be next week. I moved my limpopo trip from may 29 to August 2. Not impressed. Thanks to the rice rabies. So I was thinking the only thing to drown my sorrows would be a new gun. And have been browsing a ton of Canadian retailers. And we have very few models available. I have spoken to a few retailers and they claim they can bring them in. But with this current climate I am sure that will take a lifetime.
No surprise. Many dealers don’t stock very many. Get your gun picked out and order placed. If they are in stock it could be to you in a month or so. If it was like mine and was basically a custom order then they ship in August. Or at least that was my experience.
Philip

Sorry to hear about you having to cancel a hunt and move another.
We are all making adjustments because of the C19.

I will tell you this, if you don't order a Blaser it will take longer to get it, than if you do it now.
Every journey starts with the first step.

One of the selling points for me.

True first world problems considering the situation but due to some creation of bureucracy my R8 is stuck at dealer waiting to get CIP tested because finnish law considers putting barrel and stock together as manufacturing and this newly manufactured firearm must be CIP tested before delivery. Next week hopefully..

Every journey starts with the first step.
True, but once you start on the R8 journey, it is hard to stop. I have a safe full of really nice firearms which have been collected and sorted through, making new purchases and selling those less loved over time. Now most have become safe queens due to the pleasure of shooting my R8s. I started with a standard Professional stock with a .22-250 barrel because I am cheap and it was "new-old stock" and incredibly inexpensive as the dealer could not find someone who wanted an R8 for small game. I added a Blaser .300 Weatherby barrel, followed a year later by a Blaser .375 H&H barrel with sights, all in standard profile and all with dedicated Leupold scopes with CDS in appropriate magnification for the cartridge. After three annual trips to South Africa for a wide variety of plains game, I got the DG bug and purchased a Professional Safari Stock with a steel receiver and a Kickstop recoil reducer. A J. Sips & Sons Barrel in .458 Lott with the exact dimensions and profile as the Blaser Selous barrel was added for DG. Since I wanted as "traditional" a Cape Buffalo hunt as possible and, at least in my mind, this would require a double rifle in .470 NE, a Krieghoff Safari Double was added. I dislike carrying my rifles in a traditional rifle case due to the obviousness of the contents. The Blaser case made by Pelican is not quite as obvious, however, it is still looks like a gun case. I have found what I believe to be the (almost) perfect solution. I have two Pelican Air 1615 cases and the sum of the exterior dimensions is exactly 62 inches, meeting the airlines standard for a checked bag. The interior dimensions are such that a Blaser Professional Stock (standard or Safari) and several barrels, scopes and accessories will fit. I designed and ordered two layers of foam from MyCaseBuilder.Com, the upper layer as a "tray" (which is reinforced and has handles to lift it out to expose the lower layer) to fit the Pelican Air 1615 case, the upper layer holds my Blaser Safari stock, the stock for my Krieghoff, the Blaser bolt carrier, three Blaser magazine inserts, an extra Blaser Bolt, a scope, sling, Blaser tools and other accessories. The lower layer holds 2 additional scopes, Blaser Barrels in .300 Wby, .375 H&H, .458 Lott and the .470 NE Krieghoff Barrel as well as some small accessories. I have tried to attach PDFs of the designs here but could not. I will post photos of the case once I receive it. I have had other cases built and other foam inserts custom cut by MyCaseBuilder.com in prior years and am very pleased with their product pricing and service and I am willing to share the Auto.CAD, PDF and other files I have of these shapes so you can have your own Blaser or Krieghoff case made. Contact me for the files. Ed

I spent the morning installing scopes on my son and my R8s. I was up early because who is really sleeping these days?
The .22 barrel is very cool. I’m excited to practice with it.
I’ll put a plug in for Cove Creek. Bob Turkovich was really great to work with.

@centerfire I got the bipods for both guns. I like the design and weight. Will report back on how they work in the field.

I spent the morning installing scopes on my son and my R8s. I was up early because who is really sleeping these days?
What scopes and mounts did you use?

@BeeMaa
For the .375: swaro z6 2.5-15 and a swaro 1.25-4. The gun weighs in the low 9 lb range.
For the .300 wm barrel: Z6 3-18
My sons R8 has a 6.5 CM barrel and a z6 2.5-15.
For those three Z6’s I got the ballistic turret. My goal was to keep the scopes similar for easy use of each others rifles.
I put an older swaro habicht 3-9 on the .22 LR barrel kit.
All 5 mounts are are the blaser mounts.
Now in need to figure out how to get this all into once case.

@BeeMaa
For the .375: swaro z6 2.5-15 and a swaro 1.25-4. The gun weighs in the low 9 lb range.
For the .300 wm barrel: Z6 3-18
My sons R8 has a 6.5 CM barrel and a z6 2.5-15.
For those three Z6’s I got the ballistic turret. My goal was to keep the scopes similar for easy use of each others rifles.
I put an older swaro habicht 3-9 on the .22 LR barrel kit.
All 5 mounts are are the blaser mounts.
Now in need to figure out how to get this all into once case.
LMAO, one case for sure...NOT!!!
Let me know if you can do it AND keep under 50#.

I was pretty sure you were using Swaro scopes, but I didn't know if they had the railmount option.
Excellent choices for sure.
We are going with all Swaro Z8i railmounts on Contessa QR mounts.
1-8x24 for the 416RM
1.7-13.3x42 for the 375H&H
2-16x50 for the 300WM

Looking at putting the R8 into my gun safe. Already decided on the 375 H&H but looking at the second barrel and caliber that will get used a lot more than the 375, i.e. the all purpose caliber. Was going to go with a 300 win mag, but the more I review and read about the 7x64 the more I like it, and am starting to lean that way since most of my hunting doesn’t require a magnum. I know it means two bolt heads, but that doesn’t bother me as they are very fast to swap out. Would appreciate any thoughts you all have...thanks!

Last edited:
Looking at putting the R8 into my gun safe. Already decided on the 375 H&H but looking at the second barrel and caliber that will get used a lot more than the 375, i.e. the all purpose caliber. Was going to go with a 300 win mag, but the more I review and read about the 7x64 the more I like it, and am starting to lean that way since most of my hunting doesn’t require a magnum. I know it means two bolt heads, but that doesn’t bother me as they are very fast to swap out. Would appreciate any thoughts you all have...thanks!
7x64 is a great caliber - indistinguishable to a game animal from a .270, .280, etc. I shoot its ballistic twin a lot with a 7x65R. I think it would be a great choice for your North American / European general purpose rifle.

7x64 is a great caliber - indistinguishable to a game animal from a .270, .280, etc. I shoot its ballistic twin a lot with a 7x65R. I think it would be a great choice for your North American / European general purpose rifle.

Thanks Red Leg! That goes a long way for me on this decision, greatly appreciated. This is going to be pricey as I’m going to go full tilt when I pull the trigger, R8 Individual Success Leather stock/receiver in grade 7 or higher wood, fluted barrels semi-weighted with sights, new Swarvo rail mount glass (Z8i) on both barrels, Contessa QD mounts, Blaser Type C case, etc. Be my last rifle purchase and want it all perfect.

Am thinking the 1.7-13x42 for the 375 and the 2,3-18x56 for the 7x64. Think those combos give me a lot of flexibility, even for the few time the 375 will be used for DG.....thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BurtonMack

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's