Blaser R8 for Dangerous Game

In Germany, when guys meet each other for a driven hunt, 8 out of 10 hunters use a R8, one has the old R93, the remaining one operates M98, Schönauer, Steyr, Sauer, Heym, you name it.

R8 has taken over the scene completely.

This is not a yoke....

HWL

Yes I noticed this when watching European hunting shows. I have seen th rifles for years. Just never did any investigation into them as it was not a style of rifle I have had any interest in. I'm more of a plastic stock, long heavy barrel, unnecessary rails kinda guy hahahah.

I'm more of a plastic stock, long heavy barrel, unnecessary rails kinda guy hahahah.

You will be converted to the right belief by touching a R8 once....

;)

HWL

I'm not going to lie. I do love the idea of no lift bolt. They just need some match long barrels to even get me excited.

They do have them, 22mm profile.

They have them, indeed. With GRS stock they look awsome!
r8 grs.jpg

And with integrated sound suppressor... for countries where allowed. (looking like one single very thick barrel).

I played around on their website last night. And my god some of these rifles are gorgeous. I would be afraid to take them in the bush their so pretty. That one your wife is handling is gorgeous.
Yeah, she really likes the figure in the wood.
But that said, there are no safe queens allowed in our vault.
That rifle will hunt with her wherever she goes.

Our opinion is that rifles are tools to be used as they were intended.
Always with respect, but still used as a hunting tool.
Incidental scratches, dings and wear can not be avoided...we consider them a badge of honor.
Proper care and cleaning will be taken when the hunt is over.

The newLeicas Bluetooth to phone app or Kestrel. No micro SD card. Tempted to buy one!
My wife was looking through my Leica's yesterday...:E Doh:
Never should have left them out.

Anyway, yes the new HD-B 3000 Edition 2019 have some upgrades.
Only reason I went with the ones I got, was because EO was running a special.
Got the 3000's for the price of the 2700's.

For the wife...I saw a set of "demo" Noctovid 10x42's but it will have to wait.
We have taxidermy coming in soon.

Oh boy. Why did you guys have to do that. That's not nice. The rabbit hole is opening and pulling me down by the leg.

Oh shit..... Now I'm trying to find a Canadian retailer with those models.... I hate you all.

Oh boy. Why did you guys have to do that. That's not nice. The rabbit hole is opening and pulling me down by the leg.

Oh shit..... Now I'm trying to find a Canadian retailer with those models.... I hate you all.
What did you expect from us...
Welcome to the Dark Side.

Chago, go for a pretty one. You can throw anything in a GRS stock,

These should stay as high end hunting rifles but each to their own.

I think the muzzle rise in my R8 ultimate (thumbhole) is significantly less that my Sako Safari. (Both in .375 H&H) and that is based on shooting a 7 1/2 lb R8 with the irons and no recoil device (or scope).

Even if they were equal in muzzle rise, the reload on the R8 is outstandingly fast. You will probably laugh after you shoot it because it is that much faster. I did.

I would add that the straight pull does not cause you to twist the rifle, which is an improvement in speed.

I’m with @BeeMaa in that rifles are tools and will get marks from use. The R8 build is sturdy.

The luxus model is ridiculously nice. I love the moose and stag engravings. Did I mention I hate you guys. My wife is currently yelling at me as she's saying I'm spending the whole evening on my phone. But now I'm looking at these and zooming in to every picture I can find.

What is the muzzle rise like on these? It seems like it's set up a lot like a lever action.
Just got my wifes R8 today and we each shot a few rounds. Not a heavy gun with a standard weight .300WM barrel. Pretty damn soft shooting with no brake or supressor. I feel like I have several other bolt guns in "smaller" calibers that I remember being way more aggressive than this in both felt recoil and rise. Really think the ergonomics and design play a large role in that

Gun points and handles very well, the trigger is amazing, and as far as it relates to this thread in particular...the straight pull is INCREDIBLY fast. It can easily be cycled with cheek on the stock and have another round available as soon as you can settle back in target. Interested to put it on a shot timer next to my double

Side note: hers has engraving etc but if my budget didnt allow for this I would 100% buy one in synthetic so I could have one. Done a lot of research on the guns and touched a synthetic stocked version in a LGS, but having actually shot it now...they're everything they're hyped up to be. Amazing platform for hunting

What is the muzzle rise like on these? It seems like it's set up a lot like a lever action.
Negligible. I now own the R8 in .375 (used a lot); .300 Win Mag (used less, but still meaningfully); and 6.5x55 plus .257 Weatherby Mag (used a bit). I guarantee you it is faster for three aimed shots than any lever action ever created. For aimed shots, it will give any semi-auto a run for its money. But it’s real attributes are the ergonomics and trigger (along with international transportability). The trigger is the best I have used on any production rifle - ever. And I don’t own a custom piece with a better one.

Negligible. I now own the R8 in .375 (used a lot); .300 Win Mag (used less, but still meaningfully); and 6.5x55 plus .257 Weatherby Mag (used a bit). I guarantee you it is faster for three aimed shots than any lever action ever created. For aimed shots, it will give any semi-auto a run for its money. But it’s real attributes are the ergonomics and trigger (along with international transportability). The trigger is the best I have used on any production rifle - ever. And I don’t own a custom piece with a better one.
Breaks like a glass rod with virtually zero overtravel. Really light too, but it can be since the safety design *pretty much* prevents it from bumped off on accident. I was quite impressed. Interested to measure the pull weight one day when I think of it.

The length with barrel off is perfect for an SKB double bow case. Going to go in custom cut (by me and a knife lol) foam in the bottom, center foam, bow on top. Same setup with my S2 and my bow. Try that with a "normal" rifle ;)

The luxus model is ridiculously nice. I love the moose and stag engravings. Did I mention I hate you guys. My wife is currently yelling at me as she's saying I'm spending the whole evening on my phone. But now I'm looking at these and zooming in to every picture I can find.
Ahhh, yes...the hook is set my friend.
I recommend you take your bride to the store with you.
The beauty of the wood can only be truly appreciated in person.
Yes, you will end up with two rifles instead of one...
However, two boats moving in the same direction is better than pulling against each other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laolapow

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's